Old March 8, 2001, 01:23   #1
It'sLikeThat

Fungal Payloads: Do people use them?
Does anyone actually use this? I've never used it. Cost too much, and my bases are usually lacking sufficient minerals. What does it actually do? Besides xenofungi, does it also include locusts and mindworms and all those in the package? Kind of like eco-damage consequence in a tidy, controled package..?

Old March 8, 2001, 04:27   #2
ssoszka
Settler

Local Time: 05:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have never heard of fungal payloads... how does that work???
Old March 8, 2001, 14:43   #3
Locus
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:08
Once you have the ability to launch missiles you can equip a missile with a fungal payload. I always design my own units so I don't know if SMAC will automatically design them for you. Just go into the design workshop, choose a missile chassis and equip it with a fungal payload. The area of effect is like the planet buster but it dumps fungus all over. BTW, you can also make missiles with tectonic payloads to cause earthquakes and raise land.

------------------
Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers
Old March 8, 2001, 16:30   #4
RobN
Settler

Well, fungal payloads are mentioned in the manual. I recently used them in a Transcend level game. They just plant fungus in randomly selected squares around the activation square. This can produce a fungal tower, or at least a baby one, and spawn boils. After winning my most recent game I carried on for few turns, turning my enemy`s continent into a seething mass of fungus - great fun. After a few turns his cities were rendered defenseless by boils.
Old March 9, 2001, 04:02   #5
ssoszka
Settler

Oh how fun!!!! I'll have to try it... I just uninstalled SMAC in a feeble attempt to re-interest myself in writing my Master's thesis... ugh!!

So what kind of payload is used for a "tectonic" missle?

------------------
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, hate me because I'm a rat-bastard.
Old March 9, 2001, 09:47   #6
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:08
I could be wrong here, but I think that fungal payloads and tectonic payloads are new weapons that comes with SMACX. So if you just have SMAC, then probably you won't have them.

Tectonic payloads could be great fun if the world is sinking or if you wanto make the Pirates life suck. he spend so many years bulding kelp farms, tidal harness, mining platforms and all the facilities he needed to boast this terraforms, and what happens, with a tectonic strike all of it is replace by unterraformed land. Woahaha! (suppose to be a laughing sound)
[This message has been edited by knowhow2 (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old March 9, 2001, 20:45   #7
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:08
Knowhow2: I suggest you use "Muhahahahah!"

Old March 10, 2001, 01:35   #8
It'sLikeThat

but the AI doesn't use tectonic payloads do they? my personal preference is playing the pirates, and if the AI does use them, i'd have to make a beeline for the flechette thingy and the orbital defense pods.

by the way, is there anyway to tweak the unit design thing so that instead of a fungal payload, you have a forest payload, or a kelp payload, or something like that, that's less painfull, but quite fun.... all those solar collectors and 4+ farms exchange for forests..

Old March 10, 2001, 08:12   #9
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:08
Blake: yeah thats actually sounds better, thanx. I finally know how to laugh at a beaten opponent and be cruel. Muhahahaha!!!!
Old March 10, 2001, 11:40   #10
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
I think that these come too late in the game. With Fusion reactors, you need 5 of these (10 square effect) to be really good on enemy continent, and they're quite costly as it comes to the minerals. At cost of 5 of these, I'd better create a nice infantry / rover mix to be of more threat than this fungal rocket can be.
And yes, both tectonic and fungal payloads are new in SMAX, not available in SMAC. Also, you can't create a "Forest Payload" by editing the smacx.file, but this can be, of course, done by editing the source code of the game, what surely isn't what are you going to do, I assume.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old March 10, 2001, 11:55   #11
It'sLikeThat

obviously not. i'm no programmer. i'm just a gamer.

Old March 11, 2001, 22:09   #12
Christantine The Great
Prince

Once I made just three and turned Domani's continent into trash. Combined with psi units I managed to wipe out his presence on that island but sadly now it is of no use to me.
Old March 12, 2001, 00:07   #13
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

When I have a lot of the techs & secrete projects that give you fungus bonuses, I like to start an invasion with fungal missiles