Old March 10, 2001, 07:03   #1
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Is There A Faction You Haven't Played?
I must say that I have never played the Believers. I just don't like their style. Also I have never played the Cartakers.

Here is a list of factions I play in prefered order.

Pirates
Hive
University
Spartans
PK's
Morgan
Angels
Gians
Cyborgs
Drones
Cult
Upsurpers
Cartakers and Believers.

I know random settings might make for a better game.
Old March 10, 2001, 07:10   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
I haven't played the Believers, but I have played all the others. I just hate Miriam's base style and research penalty.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old March 10, 2001, 07:57   #3
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:38
I played every faction once to get an idea how they actually play as opposed to any pre-conceived notions I have. I then had a period of playing only my favorite factions. I am now in a period of playing random factions every game. I restart to get a different faction if I am the aliens or the faction I played the immediately preceeding game.

Playing random factions I think I have played as each one of the factions again except for Morgan. I like changing it up to get a better feel for the diversity of the game
Old March 10, 2001, 08:03   #4
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:08
My first ever win on SMAC was with the Hive so they have a special place in my heart. The on faction that I grown to love despite all its faults, The University. 9 out of 10 times you get the SoHB first which means even better tech lead. The only SE it can't choose is Fundy, which is kinda usless (well in my own humble opinion) unless you are the Beliviers. So on to the very thing I wanted to say (write whatever). I didn't like the Beliviers for the same reason as aboves, but then I read about how to play them right and boom! On a tiny, small and even standard planet with 30-50 % ocean, there's simply no competitions. With a combined army of infantry (meaning footsoldiers with lastest weapon but always no armour, cheaper that way), probes (for getting new tech) and 1-2 "shields" (a rover with highest possible armour for protection and walking on fungus) you can rumble the entire map in less than 150 turns regardless (not to try to be cocky, but I think this is it, the ultimate fighting machine) opposition. But then of cause the players skills kicks in. You have to be at least as good as the opponents. Well anyway, here's my list for loveable factions.

The University
The Cult (my first ever win on transcend level)
The Hive
The Spartans
The Peacekeepers, The Beliviers, The Pirates (dead tie)

The remainder never completed in game

The Gaians
The Morgan
The Consciousness
The Drones
The Dataangels
The Alien factions

Haven't specifiy which factions I to this date still have not played full out. Now I have.

[This message has been edited by knowhow2 (edited March 10, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by knowhow2 (edited March 10, 2001).]
Old March 10, 2001, 09:52   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

I can't say that I don't like the aliens. They're quite fun to play with, to get some different feel, and I think that the Caretaker water bases are very beautiful, at least I really enjoy looking at them.
And, it really looks like Miriam is the most hated faction, at least at Apolyton, and the polls also show that.

------------------
Old March 10, 2001, 12:10   #6
It'sLikeThat

how could one not hate her? if you're not playing her, she's cocky. if you're playing her, you're cocky to the rest. it's a lose-lose situation when it comes to diplomatic relations.

but she is extremely formidable played momentum style.

my favorite factions, and those i haven't played:

pirates
gaian
morgan
university
pk
caretakers
angels (haven't played this to the end)
cult, cyborg, hive, believers, spartan, usurper, and drones i've never played for mor than 20 turns, don't know why

i agree with you, solver. though the caretaker infantry are ugly (why is it that the general concensus is that aliens are vile looking creatures?), their bases are very beautiful, especially a waterbase in the geo shallows or a land base surrounded with forests. so serene...

Old March 10, 2001, 17:27   #7
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:08
quote:

I never said that the infantry are ugly! On the field, they look strange, but in the workshop, those are amazing. Being an alien myself, how could I not enjoy them?
Also, I think that Marr has the most beautiful face in SMAX. When I saw it for the first time, I was amazed and stared at it for a couple of minutes.
And caretaker water bases are also neat in the fungus...

My god I think your right, I never thought of staring at the Alien faces. Not sure about Marr being beautiful but he sure is a hell of a lot less ugly than H'mniee. Altough from the picture looks like H'mniee wears a dogcollar / mini perimeter defense, same as Yang and Domai. Those alien probe teams are just plain creepy though.

I've played with all the factions, and I think I have won or got to a state of can't lose with all of them too. (except Aliens, never played past the first 50 turns or so)

My least favourite, I would have to say Data Angels. The DA AI seem to lack "personality" and I find probing to be a fairly lame way to win battles. I have nicknames for most faction leaders, but not Roze. Her faction is just so blah.
Old March 11, 2001, 01:00   #8
Solver
lifer
Deity

I never said that the infantry are ugly! On the field, they look strange, but in the workshop, those are amazing. Being an alien myself, how could I not enjoy them?
Also, I think that Marr has the most beautiful face in SMAX. When I saw it for the first time, I was amazed and stared at it for a couple of minutes.
And caretaker water bases are also neat in the fungus...

------------------
Old March 11, 2001, 01:35   #9
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Have not yet played Drone, Pirates, or Data Angels
Old March 12, 2001, 04:33   #10
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 05:08
I haven't played the Aliens more than a few turns, because they are so overpowered played by a human player.

I have played all the other factions, but, because I am playing random factions, have not played every faction on transcendent level. Believers, Gaians and University are still missing. It seems, playing random factions, the AI prefers to give SMAX factions to the human player (I restart if I get the Aliens).

quote:

Originally posted by Blake on 03-10-2001 04:27 PM
My least favourite, I would have to say Data Angels. The DA AI seem to lack "personality" and I find probing to be a fairly lame way to win battles. I have nicknames for most faction leaders, but not Roze. Her faction is just so blah.

I agree about the Data Angels. They lack of character. Despite this, my most amusing game was with the Angels, but this was thanks to my enemies.
I also have nicknames for some of the faction leaders:
Marr: Jabberwocky
Morgan: Moneybag
Roze: Rabbit-Tooth
Aki: Blondie

Old March 12, 2001, 06:24   #11
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:08
My nicknames quite different. Only factions which I am pleased or horrified to see deserve nicknames (as opposed to "groan" or "blah" factions, like Lal and Roze)

Anyway I refer to the faction leaders as:
Morgan: Morgy.
Miriam: Hairy Scary Miriam (I have no idea where that one came from, but I always call her that now. It's hairy scary miriam! hahahahah!)
Domai: Domai the retarded Drone
Cha Dawn: Fungboy, like the faction text name
Marr: Maa Maa(Like a sheep or goat says, can just imagine inviting Marr to council then making baa'ing noises every time he looks the other way...)
H'mniee: H'mniee the Poo, altough Booger is taking preference.
Lal: In a low menacing tone, the degree of menance increases until I can tolerate Lal no more and use his territory for a grand terraforming experiment - using planetbusters! buwhahahahah!

well, I'm off to seek profesional help
Old March 12, 2001, 10:59   #12
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 23:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I don't have X so the list is small.

I have never finished a game with the PK or the Spartans. I played a couple games with a slightly modified Spartan faction. I should actually try playing them more often, it's just the -1 industry really turns me off in the early game. I am an industry nut, so I like industry and support. PK's can't run police state so my industry bleeds and I don't like em.