LoD
Old February 10, 2001, 09:36   #2
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 05:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
LoD,

It's great to see a new SMAC site, and yours is well done! I was even inspired to download DD's Ultimate Builder's Map after reading his articles, and I will try it out in the near future.

Hydro
Old February 10, 2001, 12:28   #3
JAMiAM
Prince

Local Time: 21:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The site is well organized, and visually pleasing. Load times are good, at least here at home with my cable modem. I'll try at work later on, where I'm limited to a 56k dial-up modem. There are some spelling errors on some of the pages, but overall the site is very good.

I was forwarded MoSe's email reply to you, and agree in principle with his observations regarding "team league" play. I think that SMAC is not particularly well suited for this type of play.

I noticed the front page had an option to choose between Polish and English versions. Is there a thriving SMAC community in Poland?
Old February 10, 2001, 15:26   #4
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 06:08
Great site LoD! Finally got me to try the Nomad challenge

JAMiAM, I didn't see the comments on team play, but I've played a few team games of SMAC now and I think it works pretty well in fact. What do you feel are the drawbacks?
Old February 10, 2001, 15:59   #5
JAMiAM
Prince

Misotu,

The team play concept has some pros and cons. My own humble opinion is that the pros are outweighed by the cons.

Pros:

1) Fosters a comraderie among players. Particularly within the chosen demographic (generally regional).

2) Allows for some sort of sustained, or semi-official, "bragging rights" among the greater SMAC playing community.

Cons:

1) Limitation of player pool among demographic group.

2) Destroys the diplomatic game. Being irrevocably bound to a teammate allows for no backstabbing, no negotiating of territorial rights, and takes the fun out of trading for techs, ec, units, et al.

3) Basically, converts SMAC into a "wargame".

Here's an example of when the model collapses. Over a year ago, Bingmann set up a challenge game between me and cousLee paired off against jimmytrick and Vel. It was a 2v2 game between warlord/hybrid players against vel style builders. It started off fine, got about 50 turns into the game, when jimmytrick dropped out. He was replaced by AnnC, who played a few turns before both her and Vel dropped from the face of the earth.

At this point in time, it became pointless to continue the "challenge" since the parties (one of them, anyway) who were challenging each other had dissolved. At least with a generic game, a replacement player has the ability to infuse a new dynamism into the game. Also, it is easier to fill a slot for a generic game than for a challenge.

Just my $0.02
[This message has been edited by JAMiAM (edited February 10, 2001).]
Old February 10, 2001, 17:32   #6
LoD
Prince

Thanks guys. It's really great to read all those positive comments .

JAM: Thanks for pointing out the presence of typos. I will run the site through a word processor.

The Polish SMAC global community is actually not that large, at least as far as MP play goes - since the majority connect to the net via the national phone company, which literally rips them off. So, instead of one large net of SMACers, there are local groups in each neighberhoud - you know, two or more friends who are close enough to meet together and organize ad hoc LAN.

The STL matter - I've replied to MoSes letter. Would you like a CC?

LoD

PS. The reason why the connection is so good is because the site is on a server that is about 50m away from where I live - we have a neighbourhood LAN running on a static connection over here. The downside of it is that there are sporadical server failures. Anyway, here's my thanks to the admins .
Old February 10, 2001, 20:58   #7
JAMiAM
Prince

LoD,

Please do send me a cc. I like to be kept in the loop.

Thanks for the info on Polish SMACers. LAN parties...cool.
Old February 11, 2001, 01:47   #8
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 00:08
Great site!

The load times are excellent on a 56k, no worries there. Good layout, as well.

Congrats
Old February 12, 2001, 06:22   #9
Fistandantilus
Prince

Local Time: 07:08
This is probably the first time I do but I have to disagree with JAM

First of all I find cooperative play as enjoyable as FFA if not more. In team play you have to have different skills, I agree, but SMAC w/o diplomacy is definately not as arid as it seems, actually I like it a lot.

Also, when in a four player game two players drop out is difficult to find replacements, no matter the interest. When Mongoose, jimmytrick, AnnC, Bingmann, Vel and many many other reliable players quit many games died. There's nothing to do about it, it happens, people have different interests and real life is demanding. SMAC PBEMs last very long, you can't ask for everyone to be still interested in a game after a year or more.

Said that, how many PBEM games died? Too many if you ask me. But I don't think it's a problem of team play only (or that in team play is more frequent). Actually I have finished every team game I've played but one (the Italy vs CoC match, a very interesting one, a pity jt and AnnC left ). I cannot say the same for all the FFA I was in. After all in the league there are automatically available subs which are the other components of the team and there isn't the delicate problem of explaining the 'political situation' the the newcomers.

As far as I know there's is only one game still going in the league, the Italy vs SMACeiros game MoSe mentioned in the e-mail. It's going to end soon too though. After that the STL will be a thing of the past.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you why the league eventually died... the real reason is that the Italian team was simply too strong for the others so they all preferred to quit rather than lose badly and repeatedly

Fist

P.S.
LoD can you please send me a cc of the reply to MoSe too? And btw, great site! I didn't know there were that many challenges for SP. If I find the time I'll try a couple of tham. I'm sure Misotu feels lonely on that HoF
Old February 12, 2001, 06:23   #10
Misotu
Emperor

JAMiAM, I can see what you're saying. I suppose I haven't really played in a fixed team set-up - I've played quite a few team games now, but the individuals change each time.

Like you, I've been in a couple of challenge games that ground to a halt after a while. Always disappointing, especially if you're quite a few turns in. But on the whole, my experience has been a happier one than yours I think.

I'd still be interested in giving it a go, despite the cons ...
Old February 12, 2001, 06:29   #11
Misotu
Emperor

Fist, I can recommend the AI's Revenge scenario set by DiDad. When you beat my score, it'll give me an excuse to try it again
Old February 12, 2001, 06:39   #12
Fistandantilus
Prince

Well, it's been a long time since the last time I played single player but if you ask so nicely I cannot say no.

Do I have to beat the final score or the year of victory?
Oh, don't worry I'll try beat them both...

Fist
Old February 12, 2001, 17:39   #13
Misotu
Emperor

Heh Go for it! I played it with a self-imposed restriction - not allowed to build any SPs. I think the year of victory is the measure myself ...
Old February 13, 2001, 09:10   #14
Aredhran
Prince

LoD, congratulations on making the first non "SMAC in the Top 100" news on the SMACpolyton site for a long time

I like your design, although it was a bit slow for me (but probably that was just my connection, which hasn't been very good lately).

Unfortunately I don't have much time to review, so you'll have to live with the educated comments from the likes of MoSe, JAM and others.

Good job
Aredhran
[This message has been edited by Aredhran (edited February 13, 2001).]
Old February 13, 2001, 15:16   #15
LoD
Prince

Thanks Red, glad you like it .
And yeah, I was quite astonished when I saw what was the great news on Apolyton .

LoD
Old February 15, 2001, 01:27   #16
JAMiAM
Prince

Just one small complaint...

There doesn't seem to be a forum on the site.
Old February 20, 2001, 16:28   #17
LoD
Prince

JAM: Oh, yes, I can see it now:
"CHGBB: Where ACOL and Apolyton duke it out"

Just a short word of notice: during the last few days we had server problems (auxillary disk's partition went wrong - and yes, auxillary, since the main disk is in repair). Fortunately we're back up and running !

------------------

LoD - Owner/Webmaster of

THE CHIRONIAN GUILD SMAC Site
[This message has been edited by LoD (edited February 20, 2001).]
Old March 1, 2001, 01:11   #18
LoD
Prince

^bump
Old March 1, 2001, 14:40   #19
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

What do you guys think of the new maps and scenario on this magnificent site? Hmm?
Old March 1, 2001, 18:44   #20
Slimehorse
Settler

Local Time: 05:08
Ah yes... the maps. There's one in particular that I'm interested in...
[This message has been edited by Slimehorse (edited March 01, 2001).]
Old March 1, 2001, 23:30   #21
Misotu
Emperor

I just downloaded the Mars scenario, thought I might give that a whirl. And I'm feeling pretty lonely over there on the HoF still ... doesn't anyone else ever play these challenges???
Old March 3, 2001, 02:16   #22
Misotu
Emperor

Well ... ??? Anyone ???

Seriously, DiDad's AI Revenge Scenario is a good crack. If you want an SP challenge, give it a whirl. You can download it from LoD's site and it's a fun game.
Old March 5, 2001, 12:34   #23
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Is there an updated list of current working SMAC/X sites out there? Seems like over half the links I find do not function any longer. .

NS

------------------
"The report of my enemy's death is not an exaggeration." -NorthSwordsman

"You can go a long way with a Rover. You can go much further with a Shard-equipped Rover."-NS
[This message has been edited by NorthSwordsman (edited March 05, 2001).]
Old March 5, 2001, 16:27   #24
LoD
Prince

Slimehorse: Well, there were over 20 downloads of your map to date, so I guess people should have something to say .

Misotu: Oh, people are trying it out alright, but from the amount of input I have to conclude that no one succeded yet .

NS: Try my site and Dreifels' site.

------------------

LoD - Owner/Webmaster of

THE CHIRONIAN GUILD SMAC Site
[This message has been edited by LoD (edited March 05, 2001).]
Old March 6, 2001, 16:34   #25
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 01:08
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
quote:

Originally posted by NorthSwordsman on 03-05-2001 11:34 AM
Is there an updated list of current working SMAC/X sites out there? Seems like over half the links I find do not function any longer. .

NS

Greetings!

New reader first post.

Along with this Apolyton site and LoD's very nice site, these are others in my Favorites list (subset Alpha Centauri) and are currently operational:

http://www.alphacentauri.com/

http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?...auri&nav=start

http://members.tripod.com/~ACHeaven/captcomal.htm

http://www.gamespot.com/features/alpha/index.html

edit: found another one http://civgaming.net/citizens/networknode/

I have investigated a lot of links from these pages but didn't add them to my Favorites because they weren't as important to me. I hope you find this helpful
[This message has been edited by gwillybj (edited March 06, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by gwillybj (edited March 08, 2001).]
Old March 7, 2001, 19:51   #26
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

In all honesty, I must confess not to have beaten my own scenario (AI's Revenge). I am a builder at heart, and I created the scenario to hone my military skills but I must confess to failure. Misotu is the only to beat it!

(Not surprisingly, Mosotu beat me in a tournament game! (Although we both ultimately lost to Viriato!)

------------------
Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet, available at The Chironian Guild:
http://guild.ask-klan.net.pl/eng/index.html
Old March 13, 2001, 16:03   #27
LoD
Prince

DD: However, I see you're an excellent builder, judging from the Islanders and Hive games .

BTW the AI challenge, has another team tried to beat the MP version after the first one failed?

LoD