Old February 13, 2003, 03:07   #1
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Wine, Cheese and Bread thread
Now that the Beer and Babes thread has gone, lets get to the more sophisticated part of the evening.

Lets assume you went to get your beer and met a babe. You wish to bring this person home and give them a sophisticated evening. so what do you serve? Now, no need to be snooty. If a box of triscuits, a box of Franzia and some cheese in a can is you notion of that sophisticated evening, then fine.

Now, as for myself: First, a white wine. I have not been around long enough to develop regional preferences in wine. I simply don't care that much for the feeling in my mouth after a dry wine, and since Whites are sweeter than reds, i go for whites.

Now for the bread: breads with hard crusts and soft insides, like baguets, are my favorite. i don't want a strong grain bread since it simply is too dominating. These types fo white breads with soft interiors have the right mouth feel and are excellent with simple toppings, such as just butter.

As for the cheese. Give my a St Andre, a Brie or another cheese of that line. They are salty but not too salty, soft enough to spread and not have to deal with in blocks, and they have enough taste to be distinctive and yet not overpowering.

What would be your lineup?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 13, 2003, 03:11   #2
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:32
Too much to say in too little time.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 13, 2003, 03:26   #3
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

wine - i'll let my dad choose it - he knows better than I!
cheese - imported extra-fine mozzarella, ever so-slightly salted
bread - with mozzerella I'd go with greta's "peasant loaf" fresh from greta's bakery - the best bread I have EVER had, or close to it!
Albert Speer
Old February 13, 2003, 03:29   #4
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 12:32
triscuts and sharp cheddar slices are good
Old February 13, 2003, 05:32   #5
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:32
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Tasty cheese is, well, appropriately named.

If I had to choose a wine, I prefer reisling as it is nice and sweet. Cab sav can be great with pasta, but its not really my thing. So assuming reisling, I would go with Black Tower, imported from Germany and retailing for the princly sum of (roughly) $5 US.

No opinion on bread.

What can I say though, I'm Aussie. I don't do sophisticated.
Old February 13, 2003, 05:37   #6
KrazyHorse
Deity

Wine: red, not too bitter
Bread: baguette or other french-style
Cheese: smoked gouda
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 13, 2003, 05:48   #7
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Local Time: 19:32
We've recently come across an amusing little wine called of all things Fat Bastard We've taken a liking to the white.
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old February 13, 2003, 07:46   #8
Dry
Prince

Local Time: 21:32
found at http://www.fromage-st-albert.com/fromage2/vin.htm
Quote:
- The presentation: Serve your cheese on wood or marble platters or attractive porcelain plates.
- The bread: Offer a full variety: plain, crusty, rye, whole wheat and French bread, as well as biscuits and crackers.
- Accompaniments: Dress your cheese trays with any varity of foods such as raw vegetables, fresh fruit, nuts and pickles, but never in excess.
- The cheeses: take all cheeses from the refrigerator one hour before serving. Try not to leave them out longer than that.
On the fresh fruit topic, I recommand you grape. Don't put too much, only a few for decoration.
Old February 13, 2003, 08:05   #9
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 22:32
Whine, Chase and Breed.

Old February 13, 2003, 11:27   #10
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

As a wine, if the girl isn't used to drinking, I'd recommand two whites from Alsace :
Gewürtzraminer has a distinct, very sweet taste. The sweetness makes it a bit heavy, but it remains very accessible for those who don't drink much.
Riesling is less sweet and hence seems lighter. It has a very fruity taste, and is often appreciated by those who aren't used to wine.
Both names are kind of vines, so there are all kind of qualities and prices (however, whatever the quality, both vines keep these specific properties). It won't ruin you to buy some, then.

I obviously prefer the baguette to any other kind of bread (darn, we really need a :flagwaving: smiley). However, it all depends on what you want to eat with the bread. In itself, baguette isn't that good. It is perfect to eat with Marmelade, butter, or stinking cheese though. Edit : it is however not perfect to eat with non-stinking cheeses ; I'd advise broader breads to do so.

If you want to make out with the girl, I'd advise to flee from French stinking cheeses. You can look for Edamer or Gouda if you're not into having too much a taste. There is a French cheese that I love, the Conté (I assume it gets exported), which is close to Emmentaler, but has a bit a stronger taste. However, knowing how chesses suffer when they get exported to the US thanks to the US health regulations, I fear you won't find any satisying Conté on your side of the pond
Old February 13, 2003, 11:30   #11
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:32
I don't understand white wine. Might as well drink vinegar.

I am a huge red fan, and think that is the only thing suitable to drink with bread and cheese. I am most partial to cabernets or chiantis.

Freshly-baked French bread or ciabatta is best, though a good foccacia is also wonderful.

As for cheeses...well, I could go on forever. From a baked brie to an extra-sharp Vermont cheddar, there are so many to choose from. Also amongst my favorites are tilsit, smoked Gouda, fresh mozzarella (with tomato and basil, of course!) and Feta (though that goes best in salads, not with bread and wine. Unless it's olive bread and ouzo...).

And of course, this involves a boy.
Old February 13, 2003, 11:43   #12
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

If anything, I think vinegar is closer to red wine than white But maybe I had more ofter the opportunity to dring awful reds than awful whites (also, awful whites are the only wines I never finished)
I forgot to mention Porto can be a good choice too, but both of you must be a bit used to alcohol in general, as it is stronger than regular wine (20% in porto vs ~12% in French wine - how much it is in Californian ?)
Old February 13, 2003, 11:48   #13
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 20:32
Wine: During the meal I would go with a good red from around here, Dolcetto, very very tasty.
Once dinner is over I would pull out a bottle of Moscato (sparkling white wine) which is very sweet, and very good for after meal.

Cheese: Well, no Italian cheese would be good, they are good, but they stink very badly, but maybe some little balls of fresh Buffalo Mozzarella might do the work.

Bread: I wouldn't just stick to one kind, I would offer the girl a nice basket full of many kinds of recently baked bread

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old February 13, 2003, 12:41   #14
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

No rotten french cheese is ever going to infect me !

Buffalo mozzarella (blargh) isn't good as greek cheese and, of course, alcohol is poison
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old February 13, 2003, 12:54   #15
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Any poorly done wine can taste like vinegar since it's the ethanol that oxidises to ethanoic acid. White/red, doesn't matter afaik:

CH3CH2OH ---> CH3COOH

As for me, I'm having a big "we're single!" girls night tomorrow. The bread? Pizza crush. The cheese? greasy mozzarella. The wine? £1 a bottle. A bottle each.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 13, 2003, 13:16   #16
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Italian Mozzarella is the single best cheese in the entire world. When I see those white, pure balls of cheese floating in the water they come in, my mouth salivates.
Albert Speer