Old February 13, 2003, 09:49   #1
Lycurgus
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Baghdad Incident
"I bring word from Centurion Primus Cordius Arpagius," the young militus said after having given the salute.
Legate Primus Tiberius Flavius Asiaticus Atticus lifted his head from the mountain of paperwork that filled his desk, "Speak," he commanded the milites.
"Sir Centurion Cordius commanded me to deliver this report to you."
"Why didn't the good centurion just use the military post system like everyone else?" the Legate asked.
"Sir I am only following my orders," the militus replied.
With a sigh the Legate waved his arm and dismissed the young militus, the young man left a red envelope on the desk before saluting once more and marching back out of the plush office. Tiberius reached across the papers strewn across the desk and lifted the envelope up. He frowned upon seeing the dark red colouring of the envelope, that meant it was 'top secret', only himself and the Consul would be permitted to open such a letter, ah well the benefits of being the head of the secret service, the Expiscor Occultus Scientia (E.0.S.).
The envelope felt thick, there must be a lot in it Tiberius thought to himself. He inserted his ornate letter opener and tore the envelope open. Pulling out several documents he began to read them. His face turned dark as he read the fateful content within.

"Consul there is a Legate Flavius Asiaticus Atticus here to see you," the secretary blared into the intercom.
"Very well, send him in," a voice replied through the machine on the desk.
Tiberius walked through the large oaken doors and into the Consul's office, a grand room gilded in gold and fine items. Trophies of past wars adorned the walls and cabinets of the room. The Consul himself, Caius Lucius Bodenius, sat behind his massive mahogany desk and welcomed the Legate in and offerred him a seat.
Sitting down the Legate launched into his story, "Consul it has come to my attention that the Persians have a large force of mens till within our borders, under the terms of the 1777 Treaty concluding the Long War they have to withdraw all forces from our territory. Over the past three years they have pulled out all of their forces except for this one."
"Where is this force and what does ir comprise?" the Consul asked him.
"It is in the Arabian desert near to where the the Arabians used to have the settlement of Mecca, but we have reports that it has moved northwards and is currently en route for our towns in the north near Ceasarea and the great canal connecting the seas. The force itself comprises a large band of calvary, they are highly mobile and well trained, that is probably the reason we have been unaware of them for so long, the vast desert in that region is a good shield and we have scant spotter plane sin that region, they would just look like another tribe of nomadic Arabian horsemen who refused to leave when the Babylonians invaded centuries ago," the Legate relayed to the Consul.
The Consul eased himself back into his leather winged back chair and sighed a deep sigh, "Do you think they are making for the canal?"
"It would certainly seem logical, it took us fifty years of protracted warfare with the Bbaylonians before we had it secured, and even then the Persians presented a threat to it. We made valuable gains in the war against the Persians and consolidated our position with the canal, it would seem reasonable that they would want to retake their lost posessions and take control of the canal," Tiberius said.
"We must do something soon, we cannot let them get too far north, but we must also play this one carefully Tiberius, we cannot let on that we know of this force yet," the Consul instructed.

"We interrupt your regular programming to bring you a special news bulletin," the radio crackled in homes all across the Roman Empire, "word is reaching us that an uprising in the occupied Persian port of Baghdad in the south of the Arabian peninsula erupted earlier this afternoon. Reports suggest that rebel forces have siezed control of the forum and several key installations in what looks like a well planned and organised attack.
Defence expert Tertius Galerius Caprarius from the military publication 'Mars' Shield' said that he thought the uprising looked as if it could have foriegn backing, he refused to say whether or not that abcking could be Persian."

The newspapers flew off the shelves the next day, the headlines were domianted by the uprising in far off Arabia. In cities across the empire, from Veii in northern Gaul to Carthage on the north African coast and even in the American colonies beyond the sea there wa spublic anger at the uprising and the general mood was that Persia had a hand behind it.

"Consul what do you propose to do about the situation?" demanded Senator Aulus Sennius Igennus, the leader of the conservative 'Eagle Party'.
"Senator," the Consul answered, "we have already dispatched a full legion of troops to the city along with an armoured legion to help contain the uprising and bring the perpetrators to justice."
"Yes that is all very well Consul, but it should never have happened in the first place, your government has consistently treated those Persian savages with kid gloves, w emust act before they destroy our wonderous civilisation!" Senator Sennius Igennus retorted. A roar of approval rose up from the opposition steps in the Senate.
the Consul rose to his feet once more, "My fellow Senators we must not fight amongst ourselves ..." but he was harshly interrupted by Servius Tertinius Augendus, a Gaullish senator, "Your government is useless! I call for a vote of no confidence!"
"The Senate erupted into angry tones with rival senators shouting back and forth, waving papers at each other and cursing their opponents. After a few minutes of this Consul Lucius Bodenius managed to restore order.
"On what grounds do you call the vote?" he asked Augendus.
"On the grounds that you are witholding vital information from the Senate and from the Roman people," the senator cried out.
"What information, there is nothing to hide and the Roman people have been presented with the facts as they stand. This is not a rebellion, it is a riot in a small provincial town and we will have it crushe dby the end of the day," the Consul angrily replied.
"Then why is it that you have failed to mention that their is an entire Persian army already within Roman territory and that it is headed for the Ceasarea Canal at this very moment?" Augendus asked triumphantly.
The Consul looked shocked, his mind raced as to how Augendus could have gotten hold of that information, no one except he and Legate Flavius Asiaticus Atticus knew about it, but then he remembered that Augendus had many contacts in that region after having served there during his army days, he must have been tipped off. The Consul rose to his feet, the colour having drained from his face, the entire Senate waited to see if this allegation was true or not.
"It is not an army, it ismerely a cavalry force of perhaps a few hundred men at mo ..." but the rest of what he said wa slost in the din that sprang up as senators jeered hima nd cried out at the 'deception' and 'lies' that he was spinning.
the vote was soon underway, the Senators one by one raised their hands to show support for the Consul or to withdraw it. By the end of the session only Lucius Bodenius' left wing Liberati party had voted in his favour, he was out of the Consul's office.

The next few days were chaos all over the empire as the Senate voted to call fresh elections under the temporary Consulship of Bodenius' replacement Consul Floridius Capito. At the same time troops were being mobilised and sent to the frontier with Persia, the airforce was also mobilised and bomber squadrons were put on high alert, fighter squadrons were scrambled ready for action in Babylon, Ashur, Thessalonica, Ceasarea, Alexandria and many other cities.

The election campaign was only a day old when it was announced that rebel forces had taken control of the Baghdad docks and had siezed the I.R.S. (Imperial Roman Ship) Xiphias and had manged to scuttle the great battleship I.R.S. Mars Prognatus. The rebels had taken the ship's commander Legate Placus Valerius Dalmatius, and had executed him and then declared the city part of the Persian Empire.
The effect was instantaneous, Legate Valerius Dalmatius was a hero of the Long War against Persian and his execution created a bloodthirst. The odd were now in favour of the Eagle Party the Aquila Optimates, who promised swift revenge.
Within two days Senator Aulus Sennius Igennus had become consul and the Aquila Optimates were in power. Within twenty four hours of that an ultimatum was issued to the Persian embassy demanding the immediate return of the city of Baghdad and the removal of all troops from Roman territory.
Old February 13, 2003, 10:02   #2
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Not bad, i find it worthwhile.
Old February 13, 2003, 11:15   #3
Lycurgus
Chieftain

Sorry for no introduction last time, but there was a few ... technical problems! Anyway, I played this game on a real world map; I played the Romans in case you hadn't guessed already.
Sorry for the technical latin I've used, as in some of the military ranks. I'm not sure I am happy using this after reading things over and I might tone it down a bit. However, if people like it then I'll keep it.
As always comments are always appreciated.

"I regret to inform you that the Persian government has refused our reasonable and legitimate request for the removal of their troops from our territory and for the city of Baghdad to be peacefully returned to us. They have installed by boat troops and equipment designed to fortify and hold the city against us. They have also given orders to their cavalry, deep within our lands, to progress towards the Caesarea Canal and to do whatever is necessary to block or damage the canal and the surrounding areas," the voice of the Consul sounded grave as he made his speech just a few hours after the Persian ambassador had handed the Persian reply to the earlier Roman demands over. "The tyrannical Persian King Xerxes rules his people with an iron fist and they are not allowed the same freedoms that we Romans enjoy. Xerxes in his warmongering has declared war on us! He gives his reason as Roman imperialism and aggression against his people, but it is not we who started the last war, it is not we who install our troops in foreign cities or we who invade neighbours in the pursuit of carnage. To that end we will summon all our strength and courage and bear to the notion that the Roman Empire and the civilisation, which it represents will fight for freedom and peace against any foe and against any odds. Hail the Imperator and advance Rome!"

Within days call up papers had been issued to hundreds of thousands of young men all across the empire, many families saw fit to pack their sons of to the New World colonies to keep them safe from the call - up. Still hundreds of thousands of men were soon kitted out in the dress of the legions, armed with the weapons of war.

"Centurion, we are over the target," the militus informed the pilot sitting next to him.
"Very well, release the bombs, inform the rest of the squadron to do likewise."
The bomb bay doors opened wide and the long metal canisters of death were soon plummeting downwards.

On the ground the band of horsemen heard the drone of engines high above them and looking skywards saw the bombers overhead. They had tried in vain to outrun the bombers but soon realised that hiding was their best defence. Still the bombs ripped through their ranks. Shrapnel cut through their flesh like a hot knife through butter. Terrible gashing wounds spilt blood across the sand dunes as men tumbled from the backs of their horses. Those at the epicentre of the blasts were killed instantly, their flesh pulled from their bones and incinerated in seconds. Screams and shouts rang out everywhere, but there was nowhere to run.

"Good work boys," the centurion told his men on the radio, "looks like we got them all!"
The bombers arced across the sky heading back towards home.

"Consul great news!" Primus Pilus Princeps Justus Commidius of the General Staff informed him, "we just got the news that the I Pegasus Cohort bombed the crap out of the Persian cavalry."
"Excellent, relay the news to the people, this is cause for great celebration, we will have game sin honour of those men!" the Consul was obviously delighted by the news.
"Consul," Primus Pilus Commidius continued, "there is also the news that the legions are now in place for an assault on Persepolis."
"Good, we attacked that infernal pit for over thirty years last time and it never fell, One of the greatest shames to stain the Roman armed forces will soon be lifted," the Consul said.
"Legate Longinus Elerius requests your permission to begin the attack at first light," the Primus Pilus said.
"Relay the message that he has the word, the attack is to begin at dawn," the Consul affirmed.

"Legate we have just received a report from V Cohort XII Legion on the western front of the city," the signifier said.
"What the report?" Legate Elerius asked.
"Centurion Primus Pilus Valgus of the V Cohort reports that they have encountered heavy resistance from Persian Immortals. The Cohort is down to half strength and many of the remaining men are weary."
Turning to one of his staff officers Cornicularius the Legate commanded, "Move the VI and VII cohorts up to relieve them and order the artillery to intensify their fire."
"Yes legate," the Cornicularius replied, saluted and left the tent they were in.

"Centurion we can't stay here, they are too strong for us," the Optio, the centurion's second in command told him.
"We must, we are holding this section together, if we retreat the Persians will be able to outflank us," the centurion responded. Both men pulled their bodies down to the ground as a hail of bullets tore the ground up in front of them.
"Return fire!" the centurion barked at his men, "they have taken position in that tower," he shouted pointing at a tall building across the street.
The legionnaires didn't need to be told twice and let loose with their machine guns, directing fire at the Persian snipers. Within a few minutes two bodies fell from the tower and crashed to the ground far below.
"Centurion its Cornicularius Trupo for you," the Optio said holding a radio out to him.
The centurion picked up the radio, "Go ahead."
"Centurion, we are sending a relieving force, but you must hold your position, the Persians are concentrating their fire power on you."
"Yes sir I know that, we need reinforcements as soon as possible, can you send cohorts I or X?" the centurion asked, those were the best cohorts in any legion.
"I'm sorry but no, they are retaining the artillery ground for us, the Persians are counterattacking there. You'll need to make do with the VI and VII, Trupo out," and with that the radio fell silent.
"Ok men HQ says we need to stay put, the VI and VII are coming to help us, so lets sit tight until they ..." a bullet through the back of his skull cut the centurion off mid sentence, he slumped forwards, blood gurgling from his mouth into the mud.

Hundreds of Persian troops were running towards the legionnaires of V cohort of XII legion, guns blazing and grenades banded around like toys. The legionnaires dived for cover and opened fire on the advancing Persians, bullets smashed into windows and pillars sending glass and dust spewing across the street.
The Persians gave as good as they got, several grenades found their target in a building being used as cover by several Romans, the explosions might not have killed them, but hundreds of tonnes of rubble certainly did.
The legionnaires fought back bravely, but they had long ago run out of their heavy weaponry, no grenades, no mortars left, no ammo for their high calibre machine guns, just their rifles left. The Persians were on them in no time, several Romans were cut to pieces by gunfire as they tried to fall back. The Optio shouted for them to hold position, but the Persians were everywhere, leaping through windows and doorways, killing anything that looked even remotely Roman.
The Optio found himself and the remains of his century, about fifty men total, trapped in a building at the end of the contested street. With courage in their hearts they desperately fired back, smashing bones and rupturing bodies with their fire. The Persian horde was forced to stop, the Roman fire was cutting them down too fast, many Persians lay screaming in the open street, their bodies punctured by bullets. Some of their comrades tried to save them, but the Romans holed up in the building made sure they too were screaming before they even reached their friend.

After what seemed like forever an eerie silence returned to the street, numerous fires dotted the scene, bodies lay everywhere, blood was flowing in the drains, craters dotted the road and destruction loomed all around.
"We have to push back up this street, the Persians can't be allowed access, they can move their forces right through and along to attack the artillery positions if we remain here," the Optio told his men.
"Sir," one of the NCO's said, "I've got Centurion Silanus here from II Century."
"Centurion, this is the Optio of I Century, we are pinned down in a building at the end of the street, where are you?" the Optio asked.
"Optio, we are just along the street from you, we are going to attempt a break out, we have coordinated with III, IV, V and what remains of VI Century, when you se eus break out I want you to do the same."
"Yes sir," the Optio replied putting the radio down.

"CHARGE!" the Optio screamed as he leapt forwards and jumped through the smashed window, his rifle spurting death in all directions. Behind him his men followed his lead, the standard bearer waving the century's standard and wielding a pistol.
Half the legionnaires stumbled around in a daze as the din of battle blocked their ears. Many were sick on the street after watching the result of a Persian mortar attack in their midst, limbs and digits clung to lamp posts and rubbish bins, the smell wasn't of rotting flesh, but of cooked flesh.
The Persians soon found themselves trapped in a pincer movement between the two groups of advancing Romans. Seeing the smaller group of fifty men they charged hoping to escape.
"FIRE! FIRE! KILL THEM ALL!" the Optio screamed, he himself getting off several rounds before the Persians ran into him and his men.
Brutal hand to hand combat broke out, the legionnaires glad of their swords, the Persians using their bayonets. The Persians fought bravely, but soon they were being forced back the way, swords slashing at them and bullets smashing into them.
The Optio, seeing the Persian commander, charged towards him brandishing his sword, the Persian didn't look afraid and parried the blow with his rifle. The two men lunged and slashed at each other for several minutes, neither of them scoring a hit. The Optio went for a brutal thrust and caught the Persian on the leg, ripping open his thigh. The Persian fell bleeding, clutching the open wound that was dripping blood. No thoughts of compassion entered into the Optio's head and he stuck his sword through the Persian's head, smashing open his skull and spilling blood and brains onto the street.
It was soon apparent that the Persian attack had failed, the remaining Persian troops fought on for a few minutes, but soon they surrendered, they would make fine slaves for the empire.

The Optio looked around as the lead elements of VI cohort arrived. He saw bodies heaped up on bodies as his men started to clear the scene and retake their positions. The street was half ruined by the recent explosions, most of the buildings had already been damaged by artillery fire anyway. He sighed and put his helmet back on and walked towards the make shift command post for his report to the newly arrived centurion from VI cohort.
Old February 13, 2003, 14:50   #4
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

It's good Lycurgus/
Old February 13, 2003, 18:56   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 20:34
Its very good but what happened to the Viking story ? was it finished and I missed a post ?

If you did not finish the other then no matter this is great.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old June 25, 2003, 09:55   #6
Lycurgus
Chieftain

Ok people, I’m back. Sorry to have left things in limbo for so long, but I had so much to do that I simply didn’t have the time to concentrate of writing. Anyway, a lot has happened n the game, so rather than construct huge stories telling you what has happened between where I left of last time, and what is going on just now, I have decided to fill in the downtime with this. Hope you enjoy. More and better to come …

“You join us here on this historic day, the Persian delegation is about to arrive at Al Sharad airbase here in the Mesopotamian desert. We believe that Legates Aurelius Africanus and Marcus Gaius Gaulus are already inside, along with Consul Flavius Marconius Germanicus Inferior and Senators Marcus Aurelius and Sextus Septium Alamantia. They will be taking the surrender of the Persians and bringing to a close more than eight years of bloody warfare. We hope that this will be the beginning of a new era of peace for the Roman and Persian peoples.”

The lecturer pressed the button on the remote control and stopped the video playback. “Ok who can tell me what went wrong?” he asked the assembled students in front of him.

A keen student thrust his arm into the air, his crisp white toga almost slipping off in the process, “I can sir,” he offered.
“Very well Flavian, go ahead.”
“Well sir, the peace negotiations were unfair, at least that’s how the Persians saw them.”
“In what way were they unfair? After all, our armies had crossed into Persia, bombed their cities and routed their armies. Our display of atomic weaponry scared them into submitting for fear that their civilisation would be obliterated.” the lecturer asked.
“They saw them as being unfair because they were too harsh, and the Persians did give us a run for our money. Legate Aurelius Africanus wanted to abolish the Persian monarchy.”
“Yes, exactly, and as we all know the Persian monarchy has lasted for well over four thousand years now, it is the longest continuous monarch in the world. The idea of abolishing it was received very bitterly by the Persians, in the end a compromise was reached … anyone?”
A girl spoke up, “They agreed that the Persian Shah would renounce his divine status and renounce war as a means of settling disputes. The Persians were also forced to sign the United Nations treaty.”
“Yes very good my dear, now lets forward the video and see what happened next shall we?” the lecturer said.

“Peace didn’t reign for long, however,” the narrator intoned, “within only ten years war had once again consumed the Middle East and Persia and Rome would once again be at each other’s throats.”
“After the war the Persians had signed agreements reducing their armed forces and limiting their use of long range bombers and other offensive weaponry. For the first few years they kept to this promise, however, within only four years they had begun a secret programme of recruiting and training an elite force of soldiers to use against insurgents in their western provinces.”

“Rebel factions had sprung up in the aftermath of the Second Persian War (PWII) and had been operating out of the hills to the east of Persepolis, the old Persian capital, taken by Rome in PWII and now under Roman occupation. Persian forces launched many attacks on the rebels and the war became increasingly ferocious.”

“The Persian intelligence service, the Savak, uncovered intelligence on a massive rebel base operating out of Roman occupied territory. The intelligence also made the Savak aware of an impending attack on nearby Persian towns by the rebels.
The Persian military swung into action, and without consulting anyone the Shah ordered a military operation against the rebel base. The peace treaty had placed no limitations on the Shah’s authority, just his divine status.”

“Hearing of the attack, the Shah’s minister’s were horrified. Many resigned in protest at the move and several were sacked from their posts when they refused to condone the action.
Matters escalated within hours of Persian armoured vehicles crossing the border. A small Roman garrison at the El Plat listening post ordered the advancing Persians to withdraw, the confrontation turned ugly. No one is sure who fired first, what is clear is that Legionnaire Julius Marconius Saxonicus became the first casualty of PWIII.”

“The news reached Rome quickly, an emergency meeting was convened and though the debate was heated, the result was unanimous … war!”

The lecturer switched off the machine again and turned to his students. “PWIII is a war that you have no first hand knowledge of, most of you were mere babes when it ended, and won’t recall the terrible events of the last Romano-Persian conflict. Suffice to say it was brutal in the extreme.”

The lecturer continued, “Over four million Romans lost their lives in that war, and more than 12 million Persians, a large proportion of whom were civilians. You will all have heard of the most famous battles during that war, and perhaps some of the less famous ones too.
It took more than eighteen years of bitter fighting before the Persian Shah admitted defeat and surrendered. In that time, huge tracts of Persia were laid waste by carpet-bombing fleets of aircraft. Artillery fire turned dozens of towns and cities into ghostly shells.”

The lecturer hung his head for a moment as he contemplated the awfulness of it all before continuing, “The final battle, at Pasargadae will long be remembered as one of the most brutal conflicts in military history. The IV, IX, XXI, XXII, XLII, XLIII, XLIV, LXV, XLVII, LXXIII, CI and the CIII Legions all congregated upon the city. The bombardment lasted for weeks before the order was given to charge the city.
The fighting was extremely bitter, Persian Immortals fought us at every turn, and casualties were high. After more than eight months of hard fighting the city finally fell, even then the Persians refused to surrender, knowing full well that we had our hands tied over the use of nuclear weaponry by the Korean Treaty; if either the Koreans or ourselves were to use nuclear weaponry on anyone it would be considered an act of war upon the other, hence the deterrence factor. It was only when the Persian forces were fleeing the city that an advance guard of the Praetorian Guard intercepted the Shah’s convoy and captured him. Finally the war came to an end. Now who can tell me what happened next?”

Flavian spoke up again, “Well the peace settlement was fairer, but much farther reaching than the previous one had been. The Persians were forced to scrap their entire air fleet and were banned from possessing offensive aircraft, the Roman Empire would give them guarantees of aerial defence.”

“Very good, go on Flavian,” the lecturer said.

“Well, “ Flavian continued, “the Persians also had to agree to a fixed size army, they were banned from possessing nuclear technology, and they had to agree to Roman inspectors in their armed forces to make sure they were complying. We also made them pay reparations and we seized bases from them around the world.”

“Very good Flavian, but what else?”

The girl spoke up, “The Shah had to agree to constitutional reforms. He had to agree that he would have checks put on his authority. A cabinet of ministers elected by the people would have the power to veto his decisions.”

“Yes, essentially the Shah lost a lot of his power, though he does still retain a lot of control. But you have forgotten that Shah Xerxes was forced to abdicate in favour of his young son, also called Xerxes in the tradition of the Persian monarchy. These measures have kept the peace now for some 16 years. It has also allowed us to be come friends with the Persians, relations have never been better in more than two centuries. It took almost a century of near continuous warfare and the deaths of eleven million Romans and more than thirty million Persians for us to reach this peace, let us hope that it stays intact …”
Old June 25, 2003, 11:38   #7
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Local Time: 04:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Lycurgus
peace, let us hope that it stays intact …”
I hope not. War is more fun! (in stories and games anyways)

I like your battle scenes. I hope more big battles are coming.
Old June 25, 2003, 14:15   #8
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Nice to see you back writing again.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old June 25, 2003, 15:11   #9
Lycurgus
Chieftain

“Turn it to the news dear,” the man asked his wife as he sat in his armchair smoking his pipe. The elderly woman shuffled forwards towards the remote control, she pressed the button for the news channel and the television blinked onto the news. There was a man sitting in a smart white toga with a blue strip and a plain white tunic underneath, with a thing tallow stripe around the neck, he was reading the news and looked serious.
“In case you have just joined us let me recap the top story of the hour,” the newsreader said, “at six this morning, Carthaginian forces launched an invasion of Babylon. Currently we have reports of fighting around several border towns and air attacks on Babylonian military installations.
We heard only an hour ago, in a press release from the Carthaginian Information Ministry that Carthaginian forces had acted in self-defence of Carthage. The Carthaginians claim that their intelligence services received information regarding an imminent Babylonian attack upon Carthage.
We can now go live to our correspondent at the Consul’s Palace,” the newsreader finished off.

“Thank you Antius,” the reporter responded before continuing, “we are hear at the Ministry of Imperial Defence in Rome to hear what Consul Herrenius Carius Tertullian has to say in a press release he is about to make. Actually we can now join the Consul as he has just arrived at the podium.”

A short man dressed in a white toga with a purple striped edge, as befitted a Senator, stood at a dais at the foot of the steps of the Consul’s Palace. He shuffled his papers and cleared his throat, the flash of cameras lighting his face. Finally he gazed towards the assembled journalists and began to speak, “His Imperial Majesty’s Government would like to take this opportunity to make the following statement; we wish to extend our unswerving support to the brave men and women of the Carthaginian armed forces in their heroic struggle against a tyrannical regime. His Imperial Majesty’s government has obtained information supporting the claims made by the Carthaginian government as to an imminent Babylonian attack, as such we have compiled a public report, which will be published the day after tomorrow.
We utterly condemn the warmongering actions of the Babylonian government, and we will do our utmost to mediate in this dispute in order to bring peace back to the region.”

The Consul quickly stepped away from the dais as soon as his speech was over, waiting aides and bodyguards bundled him into the back of a limousine, there were to be no questions!

The old man turned to his wife, “Well dear it looks like another war is brewing.”
“Surely not, we won’t get into this one,” she said.
“Hmmm not sure,” he mused, taking a puff of his pipe, sending clouds of blue smoke billowing into the air, “I fought the Persians forty something years ago and people thought that there wouldn’t be another war then.”
“I hope not, I thought the wars were over, another generation wiped out, By Jupiter I hope not,” the old woman prayed.

“Legate Primus Aebutius we have an urgent communiqué from our embassy in Seoul,” the militus said.
“Go ahead militus,” the Legate ordered, pacing the floor of the control room. This was where all foreign intelligence was collated and disseminated.
“URGENT URGENT STOP,” the militus sitting at the console began, “KOREAN FORCES MOBILISING ON PERSIAN BORDER STOP BOMBERS FUELLING STOP ATACK IMMINENT STOP”
“By Jupiter!” the Legate exclaimed, “Get me the Consul’s Office,” he ordered a militus sitting beside him.

“Consul I have Legate Aebutius on Priority Line One for you,” the voice chimed through the intercom on the Consul’s desk.
“Thank you Helena,” the Consul said. He picked up the red coloured phone that sat on his large desk, and spoke, “Hello.”
“Consul, this is Legate Aebutius at E.O.S. Command Centre. We have just received an urgent message from our Seoul embassy. The Koreans are massing for an attack on Persia.”
“By the Gods!” the Consul cried out, “when?”
“The report said the attack was imminent,” the Legate answered back.
“Other intelligence?”
“We are contacting our listening stations and agents now, we will have a better report within the hour sir.”
“Very well, I am putting the military on alert, PSTAT 3,” the Consul told Aebutius.
“Sir I would recommend PSTAT 2,” the Legate advised.
“No, let us see if perhaps we can resolve this diplomatically first,” the Consul put the telephone down ending the conversation. He sat back in his chair and closed his eyes, the strain of an impending world war battering his already troubled face.
Old June 25, 2003, 16:49   #10
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Things look as though there about to get serious, good stuff please keep the goods coming.
Old June 25, 2003, 18:43   #11
Lycurgus
Chieftain

Thanks for the feedback, always nice to know one is appreciated. I found it quite hard writing this, because so much had happened and I hadn't been writing along the way. I should warn people that this is going to be a long one. I will probably be getting quite graphic, so I will try to remember and post warnings before any segments, which are brutal.

Cheers
Old June 26, 2003, 09:47   #12
unscratchedfoot
Prince

Your battle scenes are some of the best I've seen. Bring on the goods!
Old June 27, 2003, 17:00   #13
Lycurgus
Chieftain

"Consul we must act now!" Senator Petronius, Imperial Defence Minister demanded.
"Calm yourself Biticus," the Consul answered, using the Senator's first name, showing their close relation.
"How can I calm myself when there are thousands of Koreans massing on Persia's borders, for all we know they could be planning to invade us as well," Senator Petronius commented sharply.

An attendant opened the door; a man wearing a military toga, emblazoned with red strode into the room.
"Legate Metilius what news do you bring us?" the Consul asked the man.
"Consul, we have received some very disturbing reports from our agents in Korea. We have reason to believe that the Korean government are in league with the Babylonians," the Legate answered.
"By Jupiter!" the Consul exclaimed.
"This just gets worse by the minute," Petronius said.
"It does get worse, I'm afraid," the Legate, said, "we have reliable intelligence that the Mongols and the Greeks have entered into a secret cordiale with the Koreans and the Babylonians to attack Persia."

The Consul turned away from the other two men, he walked towards the large windows, outside he could see Tiberius Park, children were out with their parents, it was a public holiday and festivities had been going on all day, despite the gloomy news of the Cartho-Babylonian War in Africa. The Consul opened his cigar humidor and selected a large sized corona. He carefully made a hole in the end and put it to his lips.
The Legate, the Defence Minister and the other Senators in the room looked on at the Consul's back, plumes of bluish smoke rising up from him.

Legate Metilius was the first to interrupt the silence, "Consul, what shall we do?"
The Consul too a few more puffs of his cigar before turning to answer, a look of steel had entered his eye and the assembled Legates and Senators could not mistake it, "We shall do what we have always done since Romulus first built this city more than five and a half thousand years ago. We shall defend the weak and we shall protect liberty."

The men were stunned into silence. Senator Petronius ventured forth, "With all due respect Consul, what will we tell the people? They have endured more than a hundred and eighty years of war already!"
The Consul tightened his teeth around his cigar, "My friend, we shall tell them the truth. That a ruthless and oppressive enemy has banded together with other tyrants to destroy two peace loving nations."
"We can hardly call the Persians peace loving! They are responsible for the deaths of almost ten million Romans in three wars!" Legate Metilius said in shock.
"Of course we can Legate. The Persians fought for the homeland and their people. They fought us with honour and with determination, and they did not give in easily. Those are qualities we Romans can respect; we would not come so quickly to the aid of an enemy not worthy of us. The Persians held of the might of Rome for years, they are a worthy foe, and a friend deserving of support."

Senator Petronius spoke, "Well the Koreans do have to be stopped at some point. They have bullied and pressurised both the Mongols and the Greeks into their camp. Its common knowledge that they have been keeping the socialist and leftist parties in power in both countries for years now."
Legate Metilius asked, "Do you think the Koreans are prepared to go all the way over to Communism?"
"Do they need to? They are already practically there, along with the Greeks and the Mongols they are democracies in name only," the Consul replied.

"Then it is decided," Senator Petronius declared, "we will go to war, if they don't respond to one last diplomatic effort, we at least owe the People of Rome that much!"
"Agreed," the Consul confirmed, "Legate, inform the military services to go on high alert. Biticus, " he said facing the Defence Minister, "inform Nuclear Command to go to PSTAT2."

"Do you think the Koreans will use their nukes?" Petronius asked the Consul.
"I don't know, we can't be sure. Legate?"
"I don't think so sir, we have a similar stockpiles of nuclear weapons to the Koreans, they know that whatever they hit us with, we can respond in kind. At any rate, neither we nor the Koreans have missiles capable of reaching the other's main cities, it would be provincial towns and outposts at best that could be targeted," the Legate replied.
"Biticus that is going to be a major priority. I want more nukes built, at least double what the Koreans have. I also want you to station nukes on our nuclear powered subs," the Consul informed Senator Petronius.

"With all due respect Consul," the Senator challenged, "The deployment of nuclear missiles on naval vessels is outlawed under the 1796 Osaka Accord."
"I am well aware of the accord, but since the Koreans have just launched a massive attack in concert with other autocratic powers masquerading as democracies, with the aim of world domination, I very much doubt that they will care about the Accord either. I can well imagine that they will have no compunctions about arming their own vessels with nuclear weapons. Quite frankly, I would prefer that our missiles were in a position to strike before theirs are."

The Senator nodded in agreement.

The Consul's face appeared on the television screen, the film forgotten about as people started to feel sick, they knew what was coming. The Consul looked grim, he was dressed in his official white toga with purple and silver stripe.
"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears," he began, the work of that little known Englishman Shakespeare coming in handy, "we face a grave task ahead, and look upon a heavy burden to bare. Earlier today, as many of you will no doubt know, the People's Democratic Republic of Korea launched an unprovoked attack upon the Kingdom of Persia. We have since learned that the Mongolian and Greek governments have also decided to join Korea in their vicious attack.
Sadly, this attack is part of a far-reaching plan to dominate not only Persia, but also the entire world. Korea has conspired with the Babylonians, the Greeks and the Mongols to launch a military invasion of Persia and Carthage.
Our brave Carthaginian friends discovered the Babylonian intent and responded with their own defensive attack. This has thrown the terrible plans of the Koreans off course. They have been forced to act quickly and this will prove their undoing.
His Imperial Majesty's Government has been voting on what action to take today. I can inform you that one hour ago, a message was delivered to the Korean Ambassador in Rome for his government. It stated that unless we heard from them by the end of the hour that hey were willing to call off their attack by noon tomorrow and that they would withdraw their forces from Persian territory, then a state of war would exist between us. Similar messages were delivered to the Greek, Mongolian and Babylonian embassies.
It is my sad duty to inform you this evening that no such response has been received from any of the powers concerned. Consequently Rome is at war with the Eastern Alliance.
We will come to the aid of our brave and noble Persian friends. They were once our enemies, but after proving themselves against us in battle, they have shown that thy are worthy of our aid. Likewise, we shall support our valiant friends in Carthage. Rome is friend to all who seek peace, and destroyer to those seeking war.
All Hail the Imperator and Advance Rome!"
Old June 28, 2003, 02:09   #14
unscratchedfoot
Prince

YAH!! A big fight is coming up!!
Old June 30, 2003, 08:16   #15
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Looking forward to some more.
Old July 1, 2003, 00:53   #16
unscratchedfoot
Prince

So when does this story continue? I hope soon. I remember your Mexican story which was the last story I ever voted for on the vote thing.
Old October 1, 2004, 22:47   #17
Lycurgus
Chieftain

As you will see there has been a 'slight delay' in continuing this story, but I thought that I might as well finish it. Feedback is always appreciated. I should perhaps mention that there are some rather gory scenes of battle in this story.

The sirens droned on into the night as people ran for cover, desperate to find shelter before the bombs began falling. The menancing hum of aeroplane engines could already be heard in the distance and the people knew what awaited them. Militia stood guard at the entrance to the shelters, making sure that some sort of order was kept, but even they had a look of fear on their faces. The shelters were fit to bursting, the town council hadn't had time to build more and many of the shelters they had provided were delapitated, from the last war with the Persians four decades earlier. The subvia stations were crowded with a fearful populace desperate for shelter from the oncoming rain of fire; the underground trains had been stopped, some of them not making it to a subvia station and having to wait in dark tunnels with their scared passengers wondering when the bombs would fall.
Many cried out as the first bombs hit the town, the earth shook as explosion after explosion ripped through the centre of the town. In the shelters and subvia stations the people prayed to the gods for deliverance as plaster and masonry crumbled from above. The roar of the bombs was deafening, drowning out the wail of the sirens and permeating the entire town.
On the rooftops the valiant men of the V Cohort, XXXII Legion manned the anti-aircraft guns, vainly firing round after round at the swift jets speeding above. The men of the II Century, V Cohort, XXXII Legion were manning the town's meagre missile defenses, loosening off the few missiles they had left in a desperate attempt to stop the onslought from the skies. The men knew it was hopeless, the Korean bombers had bombed the town of Trajanarea for the past two weeks and they had only managed to shoot down seven of them. Appeals for air cover ha dbeen rejected by the Imperial Defence Ministry because of the intense battle for the skies over Persia and in North Africa; Trajanarea was simply too unimportant it seemed.
As the frightened populace huddled beneath the streets a lone Korean missile hit the shelter on the corner of Lucian Piazza. The missile managed to hit the air vent and searing hot flames were soon charging towards the people inside. A wave of heat was all that the Romans beside the air pump inside the shelter felt before their skin melted from their bones and their organs burst under the intense heat. Those further inside the crowded shelter had little more time as the wall of fire tore through them, engulfing their clothes and hair before searing their skin off. Perhaps fortunately for thos einside, the explosion also brought the roof crashing down, killing many instantly. Those who were still alive desperately tried to crawl to the exit, thick black smoke choking them and intense heat ripping their bodies apart. None emerged alive.

"This can't go on!" Legate Marcus Commidius bellowed as his fist came crashing down on the desk sending maps and papers flying into the air.
"Legate, I understand your situation, but ..." Senator Petronius started, but was cut off by the Legate.
"I don't think you do Senator! Last night a Korean missile hit one of the shelters in Trajanarea, more than two hundred people were killed!"
"That is regretable of course, but what would you have me do?" the Senator asked.
"Give us some fighters, even a squadronw ould be enough to deter the Koreans from attacking so frequently; the people of this region need a rest from this constant bombing."
"You know that we cannot devert any resources, no matter how small from the Persian theatre; the Koreans have already overrun most of the Persian defences and it is all we can do to stop them from crossing the border into our own territory."
"Senator," the Legate said in a calmer tone, "if we do not have some form of air protection soon then this region will not be able to defend itself from invasion."
"The Koreans have no units in position to invade your region Legate and neither the Greeks nor the Mongols have sufficient or powerful enough armour to defeat the XLII, XLIII and LI Armoured Legions," the Senator replied.
"That is true Senator, but with Koreana ir support they will not need superior armour, eithe rin terms of quality or quantity."
The Senator sighed, "Very well, I will transfer three missile batteries to your region, but that is all we can spare."
"Thre emissile batteries is not nearly enough to ..." it was the Legate's turn to be cut off.
"Legate," the Senator snapped, "I have made my decision and you will receive three missile batteries, is that clear?"
"Yes Senator," the Legate answered, "Hail the Imperator".
"Hail the Imperator," the Senator replied raising his hand before the video connection was terminated and the screen in front of the Legate went blank.

"Consul," Legate Metilius began, "I have received word that a Korean battle group has been spotted in the Pacific, it looks a sif they are heading towards Poseidon's Cove, there is only a small detachment of ships to defend the base and very little air cover."
"That is a serious diversion of resources they are making," the Consul said.
"It is sir, but if Poseidon's Cove should fall into enemy hands it would give them an almost free hand in the South Pacific and they would almsot certainly be able to take our colonies there without too much effort."
"Do we have a battle group we cans end?" the Consul asked Senator Petronius.
"In short, no," the Senator answered, "all our ships are committed to protecting the Canal, the Pillars of Hercules and ensuring that our sea links with the American colonies stay open; we also have significant commitments in the the Carthaginian theatre, especially West Africa where we have been providing support for Carthaginian forces attacking Babyloanian coastal towns."
"I want you to gather any ships you can, take every ship that is not absolutely vital and send them to the Pacific," the Consul commanded.
"Consul," Legate Metilius said, "it is not just the Pacific, we have reliable intelligence that the Koreans are preparing for an assault on Persepolis by air."
"Persepolis is thirty miles beyond their front line, they would risk an airborne attack, would they?" the Consul asked the legate.
"I'm not sure sir, the fighting has been very difficult on both sides over the last two weeks, both ourselves and the Korenas have taken heavy casualties and the Koreans know that if they don't make a breakthrough soon we will be able to deploy superior forces to them in the area, making a a victory very much more doubtful."
Senator Petronius joined in, "I think the legate is correct, the Koreans have to make a breakthrough soon or they risk putting themselve son the defensive."
"Very well," the Consul replied, "divert CIII and LXXV Legions to Persepolis and increase the number of missile batteries in the city."

"Legate!" the young militus cried out as he stared at his radar screen.
"What is it?" the legate asked as he strode across the bridge of the ship towards the radar station.
"Sir," the militus answered, "I have three aircraft on an intercept course, it looks like they have fired missiles."
"Sound battle stations!" the legate ordered.
"Intercept in two minutes," the radar operator shouted over the wail of the klaxons.
"Prepare countermeasures," the egate ordered turning to face the primus militus in charge of weapons.
"Yes sir," the man answered as he pushed various buttons on his console and readied the ship's response.

"Intercept in thirty seconds," the primus militus informed the legate.
"Fire!" the legate ordered. A roar of white light and flame filled the night sky as the first of the ship's Neptune missiles was released towards the incoming missiles. Another two Neptunes were soon in the air and the the Roman bridge crew waited for word from the primus militus of their fate.
"Two enemy missiles down," the primus militus informed everyone, "but the third is still in the air."
"Hard to starboard!" the legate screamed at the helmsman. As the ship lurched to stardboard the primus militus released the ship's last line of defence, fragmentation devices designed to cause an enemy missile to explode before hitting the ship.
The incoming missile tore threw the cold sea air towards the Roman ship, clouds of shrapnel lay in its path, but onwards the missile flew. "Countermeasures have failed!" the primus militus exclaimed, his fear now surfacing.
"All hands brace for impa ..." the legate's command was drowned out by an almighty crash as the missile slammed into the side of the ship. A blinding flash of light ran through the ship, temporarily blinding those unfortunate enough to gaze upon it. The ship lurched forwards sending crewmen crashing into walls and through doors, then suddenly the ship rocked backwards, sending those who had managed to steady themselves back to the deck. The noise of the klaxons resonated throughout the ship and thick black smoke billowed through the cramped corridors and decks, covering crewmen desperately trying to reach the upper decks and causing them to splutter and choke. Fire had by now broken out, swiftly spreading along the ship, intense waves of heat thwarting those attempting to get close enough to tackle the blaze with extinguishers or hoses.
The legate clambered back to his feet and stumbled across to the intercom, an unconscious crewman was slumped next to it, blood pouring from his head. The legate shouted into the intercom for the ship's engineer, but there was no answer
In engineering water was rapidly filling the compartment; the crew had tried forcing the seals shut, but the water pressure was too great as more and more flooded in. Desperate men made for the exits, seeking the relative safety of the decks above. Everywhere fire was spreading, heat and smoke making some decks no go areas.
On the bridge the legate screamed into the ship's communication system the order to abandon ship before looking around to see who needed help. Three of the bridge crew lay on the deck or draped over consoles, unconscious from the initial blast. The legate ordered the remaining bridge crew to help their comrades out onto the deck to the life boats, he was going to try and get a signal to Fleet Command.
The decks were now filling with men all seeking the lifeboats, some were preparing them as others tried their best to attend to the wounded. Suddenly they all looked up, as they heard the roar of a jet engine, in time to see tracers heading towards them. As the Romans dived for cover cannon rounds tore up the deck of the ship, many didn't manage to make it to cover in time and were cut down like blades of grass. Screams filled the air as the enemy jets circled again and another round of their cannons ruptured the frail bodies of the Roman sailors. Men were slipping on the streams of blood now running over the deck as they tried to take some sort of cover, but it was no use. The cannon rounds continued to slam into the deck, catching fleeing sailors, puncturing their organs and cracking their bones.
The legate dived for cover as the bridge exploded in a hail of cannon rounds. Shards of glass tore through the bride like needles, peppering the last of the fleeing bridge crew. The primus militus fell to the deck, long, sharp shards sticking from the back of his head and his back, his blue uniform turning a deep crimson as his blood seeped from his wounds. The legate looked on in horror, paralyzed for a moment before he crawled over to the primus militus, but it was too late, on eof the shards had hit him with such force that it had pierced his skull and gone straight into his brain, the man was dead.
Pulling himself up the legate scrambled over to the weapons station, the ship still had power and the missile system was still functioning. Frantically pressing the relevant buttons and enetering commands the legate turned to look out of his shattered bridge as an enemy jet thundred past; the legate paused for a moment as he watched the jet come about and start to bear down on his ship once more before pushing gently with his finger at the red button on the console.
The deck outside was a scene of complete carnage with body parts strewn across the deck where they had been blown off by the cannon rounds. Blood covered everything and everyone, bits of organs and shards of bone stuck the remaining crew and the stench of death hung in the air. The traumatised crew huddled behind whatever shelter they could find as the screech of the klaxons and the screams of the dying resonate din their ears. As they cowered in terror they saw a bright flash and then there was a tremendous whooshing sound, as they looked around them many saw a lone missile thunder from the front of the ship and arc its way towards an incoming enemy jet.
The jet swerved back and forth to avoid the Roman missile, but its attempts were in vain as the missile drew closer and closer until a ball of fire erupted where the jet had just been. The crew cheered as the plumes of fire and smoke trailed down towards the sea, suddenly lit up by the ball of light above. The other two jets swerved around to the ship again as two more missiles slipped from their housings and charged towards their targets. The crew stood and watched the two trails of white fire burning through the sky as they crept nearer the two enemy planes; the night seemed suddnely still as they watched the enemy jets sway back and forth, turn, duck, climb and dive in an effort to escape their doom. The dance could not last forever, however, and first one and then both the jets exploded like fireworks, sending bright flaming debris into the night before hitting the cold waves.
On the bridge the legate slumped down at the console, pain shotting through his leg. Looking down he saw a jagged piece of glass sticking out from his thigh; pulling it from his flesh and wrapping his handkerchief around the wound he staggered out onto the deck to see to his men.

"Primus Legate Hispania Maximus we have just received a communication from the I.R.S.Neptune's Fist," the optio announced to the head of the Roman Navy, who was at that moment poring over battle plans.
"Go ahead," the primus legate ordered.
"Sir, it has come under heavy attack from three Korean fighter jets and has taken heavy casualties; the ship is currently taking on water and requires immediate assistance, they have already put out a mayday signal."
Old October 6, 2004, 22:27   #18
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

thank you for this
Old October 11, 2004, 06:01   #19
Lycurgus
Chieftain

“Were is the Neptune’s Fist now?” the primus legate asked the optio.
“Eighty miles off the coast of Britannia, the Korean jets must have been operating out of Mongol bases” the optio replied.
“Are the Britons aware of the attack?” the primus legate asked.
“We can’t be sure, but they must have seen both our vessel and the Korean jets on radar sir” the optio answered.
“Do we have any ships in the area?”
“The nearest ship is the Marius Sarcinarium, a transport ship.”
“How far is it?”
“More than forty miles sir.”
“Divert it immediately.”
“Yes sir, but …”
“Yes? Is there a problem optio?”
“There is sir, we have reliable information from I.R.S. Tridentifer that a Mongol warship is in the area, the Tridentifer was following them for several days, but they lost them.”
“Class?”
“It’s the Kublai sir” the optio sighed.
“WHAT?!” the primus legate bellowed, “the Kublai?”
“Yes sir, it must have slipped out of port without us detecting.”
“OBVIOUSLY!” the primus legate’s anger was apparent, “I want every ship we have in the area to converge on the Kublai, we aren’t going to let the pride of the Mongol navy get away!”

“Legate we have word that the Koreans have begun their attack, reports are coming in of paratroops landing at Persepolis” Optio Iulius Boetius reported to his commanding officer, Primus Legate Flavius Flavian Scipio Africanus Germanicus Mesopotamia Osroene Maximus.
“Send word to CIII Legion to move up to the city and reinforce the defenders, LXXX and XC Legions are to engage any enemy forces attempting flanking moves, X, XXII, LIX and LXXXI Legions are to remain in reserve.”
“Yes Legate.”

“Take aim!” the optio ordered the legionaries positioned on the roof of the old Persian Imperial Palace. The soldiers levelled their rifles and prepared to squeeze their triggers. “FIRE!” A volley of fire erupted from the rooftop, little specks of light arced upwards towards the descending Koreans. All across the city a hail of gunfire lit up the night sky, Koreans floating down on their parachutes felt hot metal tear through their bodies, there was nothing they could do but drift towards the ground screaming in agony.
The drone of planes resonated overhead as the Roman defenders sprayed the sky with machine gun fire, desperately trying to kill as many of the enemy as possible. Korean and Roman fighters tore at one another, missiles streaking across the heavens, explosions lighting up the defenders below. Still the Korean transports droned on, wave after wave of men threw themselves from the planes, clutching at their machine guns. As they got closer to the ground the paratroopers started spraying bullets at the city beneath their feet.
Suddenly the sound of machinegun fire was interrupted by a monumental explosion, flames crashed upwards and the Romans turned to see Korean missiles slam into the centre of the city. A wave of Korean jets came smashing towards the Imperial Palace, their cannons spitting death towards the Roman defenders on the roof. As the Romans lay on the roof, hoping that the sandbags would soak up the Korean shells, two missiles impacted the side of the palace. It was like watching a house of cards collapse as the building fell apart. A lucky few managed to escape, but most of the Romans inside were smashed to pieces by falling debris or crushed to death as the walls came tumbling down.

“Legate,” the optio started, “Korean jets have hit the Imperial Palace, we have heavy casualties; we have reports from IV Cohort, XXXIX Legion of heavy attacks from Korean troops in the old quarter; I, and III Cohorts, XXI Legion have been wiped out, Korean troops are shelling the Communication Centre with mortar fire and missile battery VII has been destroyed.”
“Intensify anti-aircraft fire and send in XII Armoured to the old quarter” the primus legate ordered.

“FIRE!” the centurion screamed at his men as he himself blasted away with his pistol at the advancing Korean troops. The Koreans were shooting back, bullets thudded into the Romans, some blocked by flak jackets, others ripping through flesh and spilling blood. The Roman soldiers of II Century, II Cohort, V Legion were holed up in a small warehouse, they had been forced to abandon their position by heavy Korean attacks and were now trying to hold their ground. It wasn’t easy, bullets were slamming into the walls of the warehouse as the Romans inside shot back from the windows. Occasionally a Korean bullet would find its mark and another Roman soldier would slump to the ground. The Centurion in charge was holding his arm tightly, trying to ignore the pain of the wound where a Korean soldier had stabbed him. “Centurion, we can’t hold them” the optio said.
“We can’t retreat optio, we must hold our position, the rest of the cohort has either been killed or fled, we are all that stands between them and the river.”
“We are down to fifty two men sir.”
“Just keep firing, throw everything we have at them!” The optio nodded and returned to his position at the window, his pistol cracking off another couple of shots. Suddenly the door to burst open and a group of Korean soldiers came running in firing their machine guns.” Four Romans were killed instantly, the rest managed to either dive for cover or return fire. The Koreans gyrated as the Romans pumped their bodies full of bullets, so fierce was the hail that their screams just came out as gurgles; blood seeped from the shattered bodies, they were dead before they hit the ground. Behind them another group of Koreans stood, they fired their machine guns into the warehouse, but the Romans were prepared now and they didn’t hit a thing. The Roman response was swift, more blood flowed as more Koreans died.
A small thud caused the Romans to turn their attention to the floor; a small metal canister was rolling along towards the back wall of the warehouse …