Old February 14, 2003, 05:58   #1
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 15:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Soul Calibur II anticipation thread
A thread for Calc II and myself...

Here's what the US box art is going to look like...

Once again, the GameCube version comes out on top, with not only my man Mitsurugi on the cover, but also Link from the Legend of Zelda. I love the console specific covers; it really highlights the differences between the various versions.

I await the presence of everyone's favorite Yoshimitsu fan...
Old February 14, 2003, 14:08   #2
mactbone
Prince

Local Time: 14:38
Looks like the X-Box version is for me.

I dislike Hei.. what's his name on the PS2 and I do like Spawn. Plus Sigfreid (I know spelled it wrong but I don't care) is on the cover.

I've actually played it a decent amount in the arcade in the Union. Everything went haywire when the "Conquest" mode was unlocked. I started a character but I haven't played him much.

I played the first one on the DC because my old roommate had it. He is a total freak and was a Voldo man. It was great when I finally figured out Sigfried and was able to match up and beat him.
-Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"
Old February 14, 2003, 15:09   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 13:38
Looks like the Xbox version for me too.

The box art on all three are hideous. It looks like a 6th grader's art...

And the II looks like I.

And I still think Link is horribly out of place in SC2, they should have just put in Toad or something.

Link looks like an 8 year old girl in a peter pan outfit, why is he in SC2??
Old February 14, 2003, 20:42   #4
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I dislike Hei.. what's his name on the PS2
It's Heihachi, I believe. I'm not a big Tekken fan, so don't quote me on that.

Quote:
He is a total freak and was a Voldo man.

I didn't think anyone played Voldo as anything other than a joke...

Quote:
Link looks like an 8 year old girl in a peter pan outfit, why is he in SC2??
Because he's one of the most beloved video game characters of all time?

BTW, isn't it sad that this thread has been up for over 12 hours and has only garnered 11 views? Goddamn PC freaks...
Old February 15, 2003, 07:42   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
I read it, but I'm still a PC freak. These 'my console is better than your console' fights just make me laugh and I've never heard of any of these characters.

None of you have mentioned anything about the gameplay at all. Is this a RPG? A fight game? What makes it worth buying other than you think some of these names were cool in other games?
Old February 15, 2003, 13:45   #6
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I never played Soul Calibur II, just Soul Edge and Soul Calibur. The arcade at the Union only has a few old crap games and one new crap game (like Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 4th Mix ). My favorite was always Sigfreid -- I'll never forget the time that some bastard ran up in my grill while I was playing single-player, saying something like "You're playing as Sigfreid? Ha, what a noob, he's soooo slow," and played as that fast-as-hell Ninja chick (Taki?). Oh, she was fast alright, and kept jumping all over the screen, driving me back every time I had to block. I was near the edge of the arena, Taki dove at me again, and Bam!, I hit her with the butt of my sword (it doesn't really matter how fast she is -- if she dives at me from the other end of the screen, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to anticipate when her attack is going to hit), shoved my sword through her gut, and threw her over the edge of the arena. Woot, go Sigfreid! That hater wasted about four bucks against Sigfreid before finally throwing in the towel. What a noob.
Old February 15, 2003, 15:26   #7
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Wutang!

Way to beat that noob's ass. I, however, would destroy Siegfried with Taki. It's hard to hit Taki when she never comes at you from the front...
Old February 15, 2003, 16:36   #8
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 12:38
Quote:
I didn't think anyone played Voldo as anything other than a joke...
SILENCE, INFIDEL! I have kicked a great number of asses with Voldo!

Seriously though...he's really good once you get used to him, because his attacks are all unpredictable and easy to link together. Plus he's fun to watch. The computer absolutely sucks with him, though...

Thing is, he's terrible against Mitsurugi. In that case, against another person, I use (and I can never spell this one) Xiang-whatever it is -- she's even faster than Taki, I think...
Old February 15, 2003, 17:02   #9
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Thing is, he's terrible against Mitsurugi.
Maybe that's why I never saw anyone play him. I'm pretty good with Mitsurugi...

Quote:
In that case, against another person, I use (and I can never spell this one) Xiang-whatever it is -- she's even faster than Taki, I think...
Xianghua. Yeah, she's really quick, but Taki's a bit faster. Xianghua actually has some range, however, which makes her a better character. I used to use Taki a lot, but only to embarass lesser opponents. Against a skilled player, her lack of range becomes a liability...
Old February 15, 2003, 17:24   #10
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Thanks for the spelling.

I also try to use Edge Master once in a while, just so I'm a little bit practiced with all of the characters. Of course, in SC1, he had a habit of turning up as Lizard Man all too often.
Old February 15, 2003, 17:38   #11
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Using Edge Master is the ultimate way to show off your skills. Being good with him proves that you've mastered the game.
Old February 15, 2003, 17:54   #12
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

It's just like using the "Random Class" in TFC -- I'd much rather be fairly good with all of them, than great with one and crap with the others. Plus, give Edge Master his third costume and he looks like a viking.

But by no means have I 'mastered' the game, or even come close.
Old February 16, 2003, 22:55   #13
mactbone
Prince

I remember playing as Maxipad sometimes, you just keep hitting buttons and he'll flail away with the nunchuks forever.

I liked Sigfreid because of the range he had and the fluidity I could aheive with him. Switching from over-the-shoulder to touching the ground... That was the best (on the ground) because you could poke at the enemy for awhile or bring the sword flying up to get a good hit.
Old February 17, 2003, 02:29   #14
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

www.soulcalibur.com

Great place to go if you're interested in becoming better at the game.

My main man used to be kilik. I was once a frog in a pond thinking I was big and all that... just because no one in my uni could beat me... It's funny just how much better I got since then and just how much better I could be.

I proclaim Maxi and Nighty to be my main character now because they have such great stance changes. But to be honest I have more fun playing yoshimitsu and voldo then anyone else.

In SC2, Im hoping to develop my sophie game with Cassie since in my eyes, she looks like sophie++. People warned me she is nothing like sophitia but doesnt matter. I'm gonna make her my main character along with raphy and nightmare!

Quote:
Thing is, he's terrible against Mitsurugi. In that case, against another person, I use (and I can never spell this one) Xiang-whatever it is -- she's even faster than Taki, I think...
Mitsu players are heavily into 2Dimensional attacks. They have to be whether they like it or not because of the nature of the character. While their horizontal attacks are quite solid, their vertical attacks are near godly. The pitfall of most mitsu characters are that they rely too much on few great moves. and most being vertical oriented attacks.

Most mitsu players never stop midway of combos and almost no combo of his has an alternate ending. This leaves all combos have a predictable ending. for example during 66BB (the uppercut attack where mitsu jumps as drake mentioned on other thread) It's easy to see the second attack come if u have blocked the first one. Mitsu players get eaten GIs alot for this reason.

Of course if ur good with mitsu you dont fall for these pitfalls. One thing you can do to avoid this is to stop combos midway or be real nasty and go into 66B to relic stance by doing 66 [B] (hold B ) Stance change in the middle of a combo could open up some new possibilities.

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
I remember playing as Maxipad sometimes, you just keep hitting buttons and he'll flail away with the nunchuks forever.
Maxi is not just button mashing. Once you get passed the point where no friends will lose to random button mashing, you'll have to consider learning his painfully confusing stance changes. At that point, most newbs abandon him or stick with him and lose countless matches before getting good.

Quote:
I liked Sigfreid because of the range he had and the fluidity I could aheive with him. Switching from over-the-shoulder to touching the ground... That was the best (on the ground) because you could poke at the enemy for awhile or bring the sword flying up to get a good hit.
Sieg = Nightmare - move

Damn these days my dreamcast is seeing more action than PS2.... I havent touched virtua fighter 4 in like how mnay months now? Tekken 4? pfft I havent even opened the plastic seal! hah! I just love how an old school game could totally whip these new game's ass even after all these years!~ (and my friends agree, although they dont enjoy me beating the crap outta them...)

Last edited by Zero; February 17, 2003 at 02:48.
Old February 17, 2003, 14:04   #15
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Re: Soul Calibur II anticipation thread
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
A thread for Calc II and myself...

Here's what the US box art is going to look like...

Once again, the GameCube version comes out on top, with not only my man Mitsurugi on the cover, but also Link from the Legend of Zelda. I love the console specific covers; it really highlights the differences between the various versions.
also if you follow the story, they put soul edge-male, soul edge female and soul calibur on each cover art. Thats cool too.

I got a GC last week in an agreement that my roommate will buy the xbox, since he always considered having one anyway. Now I can own alll 3 copies and play them...

http://homepage2.nifty.com/challenger/movie/index.html
If you wanna watch the vids to see how sc2 is gonna be like... or just interested in how those crazy japanese gamers play. (Some of the matches are simply breath taking)

Last edited by Zero; February 17, 2003 at 14:09.
Old February 17, 2003, 21:30   #16
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
also if you follow the story, they put soul edge-male, soul edge female and soul calibur on each cover art. Thats cool too.
Nice catch, Calc. I hadn't even noticed that...
Old February 17, 2003, 22:55   #17
Zero
King

God bless this thread....

yet no one is posting. You all will goto hell. Repent!

pictures galore!!!
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/...30214/sc22.htm

If you see the animated picture when u click on links pic to the right, Link fans will imeediately recognize what that is supposed to be.

and necrid's background revealed!
Quote:
Necrid's story from http://www.soularchive.jp/. This translation is pretty awkward. Please forgive.
-------------
Necrid
Birth Place: unknown
Height: 196cm (6ft 6in)
Weight: 108Kg (238lb)
Birthdate: unknown
Blood Type: Changed in adjustment to the otherworld
Weapon: Fragment of the otherworld
Weapon Name: Maleficas ["Marefikasu"; I think that's a fair guess...]
Style: Own style
Family: does not remember (family is already long dead)

"There is only one weapon I have not wielded against violence. And that is violence itself." - J.P. Sartre [paraphrased; I couldn't find the quote]

* Story *

Coming from a long history, the traveling warriors who sought Soul Edge number many. Since long, long ago, the rumor of the evil sword came to the ears of many people, and often whetted the desire of those who hear of it. However, not all of the warriors were able to reach Soul Edge. There were only a handful of heroes who were able to endure the hardships of the journey and reach his destination. Then, the strong spirits they possessed became sacrifices to be taken by the evil sword. As such, Soul Edge accumulated a past reeking of bloodshed...

He was also one of these warriors. He was one with a strong spirit who reached Soul Edge at the end of his journey. Having defeated the wielder of the evil sword at that time, he realized that he had stepped into a dimension different from normal. However, when suddenly a cold flame in a vague human form appeared before his eyes, he was overcome by fear and could not fight back. Yes, it was a shameful thing for a warrior, but he had fled.
...But that was not necessarily the rightful choice. Having avoided being taken by the fearsome evil sword, he could not find a way to escape the frightful world contained within Soul Edge. If he had been someone with a normal physique, he would have died from the poison of the otherworld that would invade his body with time. But he had an unusual strength of body and spirit, and lived on...!

His body gradually changed. In order to battle the poisonous air which continued to sap his strength, his spirit was slowly broken. Having been a persevering warrior, his flesh changed form in adjustment to his environment and was already no longer human. An unsatiable heart for combat was all that was left of him...
Though he had forgotten who or where he originally had been, he took a weapon into his hands by instinct. He hunted those who lived like he once did and ventured into this world, and lived in a time without any end in sight.

Just how much time has passed?
Like a lie, the long ages he had spent was unexpectedly visited. The men and women who stepped into his world also brought a sword. The resonace which came from this sword greatly damaged he who had adjusted to the otherworld. Realizing the danger to his life, he threw himself into a crack in the dimension to escape the sword's vibrations. ...That resonance had also damaged the structure of his world.
And so he was returned to the nostalgic world. However, his body had been changed during the course of having to live in the poison of the otherworld. The rupture between dimensions had already deposited him and disappeared, leaving him alone and in agony. As it was, the exhaustion of his strength was a question of time. [?? could not translate this sentence very well...] Carrying a pain which constantly burned his body, he began a wandering journey.
This agony became a blade he turned towards those he met. ...All those whom he met were the "enemy".

After countless number of people, when another "enemy" who feared his form like all the others fell, unmoving, at his feet, he felt a wave of nostalgia. The pain that burned his body was lessened slightly. He searched the corpse, and found a small piece of metal. That was a shard of the shattered Soul Edge. The nostalgic resonace radiating from the metal piece seemed to ease his agony...
A seed of intention grew in his thoughts. If he collected these metal pieces, he will surely be released from the pain. And the metal pieces are held by the "enemy"...

After that, there was no one who knew where he went. However, soon it would surely be said that he appeared before those who collected the missing pieces in quest for Soul Edge...

Last edited by Zero; February 17, 2003 at 23:00.
Old February 17, 2003, 22:58   #18
Zero
King

Source from www.soulcalibur.com

Quote:
From Nendil:

This is a translation of Link's profile from http://www.soularchive.jp/. It's not guaranteed to be word-by-word accurate, but I think I have the basic meanings down. My comments are in brackets.

I will see what I can do about translating the stories of Spawn, Heihachi, and Necrid, but since I'm not nearly as familiar with the Soul Calibur, Tekken, or Marvel(?) universes, it could take some research and a lot more time.
--------------------
Link
Birth Place: Hyrule
Weapon: Sword, shield
Weapon name: Master Sword, Hylian Shield

[Hey... why won't they give us more stats? I want to know his height...]

"No man is an island, entire of itself." - John Donne, "Devotions #17"

[I have no idea how that quote applies to Link. Bah.]

* Story *

This is the land of Hyrule. A peaceful world blessed by the Gods. However one day, that peace was suddenly shattered. After disasters like droughts and floods raged for a time, at last the sun was completely covered by dark clouds. All of these disasters were caused by the actions of one wizard, whose heart had been taken by evil.

[The wizard is never named, but you know who they're talking about.]

Having had the sun robbed from her, Hyrule was darkened by clouds even during day. Sages and righteous wizards tried to resist the magic, but they could not change the course of events. The sun continued to be hidden, and they could only acknowledge the strength of the evil wizard's power. Eventually the smiles faded from people's faces, and gradually hope was lost over all of Hyrule...

As those days continued, just when everyone had given up and Hyrule was about to meet her end, the sun returned once again. Entrusted by Princess Zelda to resolve the situation, Link defeated the wizard at the end of his adventure. After a time, the sun's rays soaked through and brought great joy to the people. Hyrule was once again lively and peaceful, without any worries.

However, the Sages viewed the situation more heavily. The wizard who stole the sun was once a righteous wizard. Just what had changed him? They determined the cause after much discussion. It was a hand of evil which reached in from the world outside Hyrule.

[Heh, kinda cheesy, but as good a shaky connection as any I suppose.]

The soul-devouring evil sword, Soul Edge. A frightening sword that existed in a world different from Hyrule, which overtakes the heart of its wielder. What is fortunate is that Soul Edge has now been shattered into many shards. However, what is unfortunate is that one of those shards made its way to Hyrule. Somehow, by coincidence it reached the hand of the wizard, and immediately the shard's evil took over him. As the evil sword fed, the sun was stolen, and Hyrule was forced into crisis.
While the evil sword is in its broken and scattered state, there is no doubt to the existence of the danger of it easily tainting the hearts of people with evil. Through the events of this time, Soul Edge was notified to the existence of Hyrule. Sooner or later, it will certainly stretch its hand towards Hyrule.

The Sages once again conferred deeply about Soul Edge, and decided that the gathering of the remaining shards from the other world, for Soul Edge to be revived in the not-distant future, must be stopped. There was not a moment to hesitate. There was only one solution to prevent the complete resurrection of the evil sword!

Upon hearing about the evil sword Soul Edge, Link nodded quietly. [What a putz. =P]
In order to prevent more suffering like before, he has made up his mind to cross into the other world and destroy Soul Edge.

One night, while the townspeople who knew nothing about Soul Edge slept peacefully, he packed up for his solitary journey. Master Sword, Hylian Shield, Fairy Bow, Boomerang, Bombs. ...And Ocarina. His preparation was complete.

Now, to put an end to the roots of evil, let's play the Ocarina...!
Old February 18, 2003, 01:12   #19
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

I imagine some of Link's throws could get...wacky, with all of his accesories. But where the hell does the ocarina fit in to a game like this?
Old February 18, 2003, 02:33   #20
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
But where the hell does the ocarina fit in to a game like this?
Maybe he uses the ocarina to get from Hyrule to Earth? I don't really know...

All in all, that explanation of Link's appearance is kinda lame. I'm betting it will pale in comparison to the bullshit they'll have to come up with to explain Spawn's appearance, however...
Old February 18, 2003, 20:15   #21
mactbone
Prince

Speaking of Spawn... I remember some people were arguing vehemtly that he had no place, blah, blah - I found the answer while looking at the Official web site, Todd McFarlane esigned, drew or whatever Necrid. Considering McFarlane contributed to the game they obviously decided to put one if his older characters in the game, Spawn.

I can already tell you that Spawn's story will undoubtedly involve the Devil, various hellspawn, and a reference to this "otherworld" as part of Hell's dominion. Well, I can't be sure, but they're all educated guesses.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:44   #22
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CapitanGarlic
I imagine some of Link's throws could get...wacky, with all of his accesories. But where the hell does the ocarina fit in to a game like this?
As you have seen, all the link's throws will be "linked"(lol) with stuff from zelda games. Things like bombs and push objects will make people who have played the game laugh because they will instantly recognize it

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeTungsten Maybe he uses the ocarina to get from Hyrule to Earth? I don't really know...
According to the latest mission battle map, my guess is that they will ditch the idea that soul calibur's "world" will be from earth. The map I saw resembled continent that looked none like any continent from earth. Maybe I was seeing Link's Mission battle? People were complaining about how the game was steering away from realism on the site, but to tell you the truth, the game wasnt striving for "realism" to begin with. (Fighting a 1 year old golem and flaming balls with a 16 year old girl who can launch them 10 feet into the air and can be stabbed multiple times... )
Old February 19, 2003, 19:42   #23
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I don't know, Calc. I've always enjoyed the historical setting of Soul Calibur. It sets it apart from most of the games out there and makes the backstory actually interesting.
Old February 19, 2003, 20:29   #24
mactbone
Prince

Yeah, but I mean come on, there are always people after this sword? And they all manage to fail miserably and pop up again a couple years later... and one person was "irrevocably changed", sorta kinda in that Siegfreid is the only guy that's any different.

I do give them credit in trying to have a story, but that's not exactly a big selling point. I'm all about watching all the little freaks in the Union play as the frilly little fast girls and Kilik, although Kilik doesn't look all that manly... and they end up getting wailed on by a couple guys that know how to use Astaroth or Siegried.
Old February 20, 2003, 01:18   #25
Zero
King

Drake, for a fighting game, I;'d have to say they have one of the greatest story plot... but all in all, its still a fighting game. You can make it like MvC (marvel vs capcom) and have absolutely no story plot and have great game in this genre...

Quote:
Originally posted by MacTBone
Yeah, but I mean come on, there are always people after this sword? And they all manage to fail miserably and pop up again a couple years later... and one person was "irrevocably changed", sorta kinda in that Siegfreid is the only guy that's any different.

I do give them credit in trying to have a story, but that's not exactly a big selling point. I'm all about watching all the little freaks in the Union play as the frilly little fast girls and Kilik, although Kilik doesn't look all that manly... and they end up getting wailed on by a couple guys that know how to use Astaroth or Siegried.
theres whole joke about kilik being gay within my friends, but putting that asides, I have never seen kilik lose to siegfried! Siegfried is just the worst cloned character I have ever seen (I know, some can argue nightmare is clone of sieg yada ya) and Nightmare outranks siegfried in everyway IMO.

Asty is cool, but I dont think he owns kilik.

By the way guys, me and my friends recorded some of our greatest battle ever. Its not top notch like some vids you see from national tournament from soulcalibur.com, but nevertheless its quite interesting. And You should be able to see my favorite yoshimitsu in action

Now if I can only find a webspace....

Last edited by Zero; February 20, 2003 at 01:23.
Old February 20, 2003, 06:12   #26
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Drake, for a fighting game, I;'d have to say they have one of the greatest story plot... but all in all, its still a fighting game. You can make it like MvC (marvel vs capcom) and have absolutely no story plot and have great game in this genre...
I agree, sort of. You don't need a good story to make a great fighting game; however, I don't see the point in destroying a good story if it already exists. They should leave the game setting on Earth and just think up ways to get Link and all the other special characters there. The reasons for Link's appearance may be lame, but that doesn't mean that the whole backstory has to be...
Old February 20, 2003, 12:04   #27
mactbone
Prince

Calc, if you're interested in it being available through ~2004, I could put it up on the space Purdue provides for all students. I say only through 2004 because they terminate your e-mail account, etc. somewhere around 6 months after you graduate. I have a cable connections so file size is no big deal to me and I have plenty of space on the Purdue servers.
Old February 20, 2003, 17:51   #28
Zero
King

drake, i agree. I dont understand why they are changing the stories around but oh well. And I'm not quite sure if what I said is exactly true, cause I was making an assumption base on the pic I saw.

Mac, thats sounds fine with me. If you're willing to host it, great. I was just looking to put some of my sc1 vids up with my friends so anyone whos interested in this thread could take a look at it. So thats not a lot of demand nor does it need to be online for long either

Anyone actually get decent amount of sc2 playing time here? The arcade is located too far away for me, although that doesnt stop me from visiting it as much as I can, but it really limits me from playing as much as I want to. When console comes out I'm sure thats all gonna change... :excited: but for now Im gonna convince my friend to let me borrow a digi-camcorder so that I can tape 2 of the best player among my friends in sc2.
Old February 22, 2003, 17:26   #29
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Damn you people for getting me addicted to Conquest mode!

PS Nightmare ownz all.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 22, 2003, 18:57   #30
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Yes, I live some distance from the arcade as well, but suffer the same addiction as DD. Got my Voldo up to ~70 wins, a 'Platinum Apprentice'. It's just too cool...