View Poll Results: What book would you like to read in April. Please select a MAXIMUM of three!
Excession 5 7.58%
The Dispossessed 7 10.61%
Cosmonaut Keep 5 7.58%
Red Mars 8 12.12%
Ringworld 9 13.64%
Aristoi 2 3.03%
Ender's Shadow 7 10.61%
Ender's Game 13 19.70%
The Stars my Destination 6 9.09%
All the Way to the Gallows 4 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16, 2003, 01:05   #1
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Apolyton Science Fiction Book Club: April votes
Don't forget to add any comments to The Handmaid's Tale discussion!

March’s book is Foundation. Be sure to have your Roman Empire/Trantor Empire analogies ready!

Here are the rules: You have three votes. Vote wisely. Poll ends on February 28th or March 1st, whichever it may be. The winner is the one with the highest votes – in case of a tie, I will select among the tied books.

Excession, by Iain M. Banks. Nominated by JohnT.

“It's not easy to disturb a mega-utopia as vast as the one Iain M. Banks has created in his popular Culture series, where life is devoted to fun and ultra-high-tech is de rigueur. But more than two millennia ago the appearance--and disappearance--of a star older than the universe caused quite a stir. Now the mystery is back, and the key to solving it lies in the mind of the person who witnessed the first disturbance 2,500 years ago. But she's dead, and getting her to cooperate may not be altogether easy.“

The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia, by Ursula K. LeGuin. Nominated by Ramo.

“Shevek, a brilliant physicist, decides to take action. he will seek answers, question the unquestionable, and attempt to tear down the walls of hatred that have isolated his planet of anarchists from the rest of the civilized universe. To do this dangerous task will mean giving up his family and possibly his life. Shevek must make the unprecedented journey to the utopian mother planet, Anarres, to challenge the complex structures of life and living, and ignite the fires of change.”

Cosmonaut Keep, by Ken MacLeod. Nominated by jon miller.

“Like a British--specifically, Scottish--counterpart of Bruce Sterling, Ken MacLeod is an SF author who has thought hard about politics and delights in making unlikely alternatives plausible, grippingly readable, and often downright funny.
Cosmonaut Keep swaps between two timelines whose characters share the ultimate goal of interstellar travel. In an uncertain future on the far world of Mingulay, human colonists live in the title's ancient, alien-built Keep--coexisting with reptilian "saurs," trading with visiting ships piloted by krakens, and hiding their laborious "Great Work" of developing human-guided navigation between the stars.
Meanwhile, alternate chapters present a mid-21st-century Earth whose EU is (to America's horror) Russian-dominated with a big red star in the middle of its flag. Rumors of alien contact abound, and computer whiz kid Matt Cairns finds himself carrying a data disk of unknown origin that offers antigravity and a space drive.
Clearly, the later storyline's Gregor Cairns is Matt's descendant. There are ingenious connections and surprises, with witty resonances between their wild careers, their travels, and their bumpy love lives. The foreground action adventure points to a bigger picture and a master plan known only to the godlike hive-minds who built the "Second Sphere" of interstellar culture, and who regard traditional SF dreams of unlimited human expansion through space as precisely equivalent to floods of e-mail spam polluting the tranquil galactic net.
Cosmonaut Keep opens MacLeod's new SF sequence, Engines of Light. It's highly entertaining and intelligent, promising more good things to come.“

Red Mars, by Kim Stanley Robinson. Nominated by Chegitz Guevara.

“Red Mars opens with a tragic murder, an event that becomes the focal point for the surviving characters and the turning point in a long intrigue that pits idealistic Mars colonists against a desperately overpopulated Earth, radical political groups of all stripes against each other, and the interests of transnational corporations against the dreams of the pioneers.
This is a vast book: a chronicle of the exploration of Mars with some of the most engaging, vivid, and human characters in recent science fiction. Robinson fantasizes brilliantly about the science of terraforming a hostile orld, analyzes the socio-economic forces that propel and attempt to control real interplanetary colonization, and imagines the diverse reactions that humanity would have to the dead, red planet.
Red Mars is so magnificent a story, you will want to move on to Blue Mars and Green Mars. But this first, most beautiful book is definitely the best of the three. Readers new to Robinson may want to follow up with some other books that take place in the colonized solar system of the future: either his earlier (less polished but more carefree)“

Ringworld, by Larry Niven. Nominated by St Leo.

Surprisingly, Amazon didn’t have an official description, so I lifted a review from the first page: “A mysterious (and mad) stranger offers a rich prize to an apparently mismatched crew, if they will undertake a dangerous mission to a strange land - the Ringworld.
Far from a typical adventure yarn, Ringworld is a landmark science fiction story. The worlds and cultures, the future human history, and the technology conceived for this book (and for other related Known Space stories) are a major achievement of imagination. Larry Niven has a gift for making them all fit and work together into a cohesive and enjoyable whole.
The exploration of the Ringworld, a massive artifact of mysterious origins, forms the backdrop for a further exploration of the history and the cultures in Larry Niven's Known Space series.
Ringworld provides insights and intriguing clues about the two principal alien species of the novel, the Kzin and the Puppeteers, and the history of their interactions with the human race. The creation of alien viewpoints and personalities is exceptionally well handled here. Nessus and Speaker-to-Animals are credible characters with unique viewpoints.
I was particularly pleased with the handling of the warrior culture of the Kzin. Speaker-to-Animals is aggressive and proud, but also intelligent, articulate and judicious. Contrast this with the one dimensional, noble but simple minded Klingons of Star Trek NG.
Ringworld has my recommendation.“

Aristoi, by Walter Jon Williams. Nominated by Wraith.

Another purloined personal review: “I first read Aristoi not long after it's original release in Hardcover, and have re-read it three times since then.
When I first read the book, I thought it was a work of art that created a world and culture as it someday might come to pass and still remained realistic enough to be believable. I was very impressed, and have since read most of the authors other works.
After re-reading the book a couple times, some of the magic I originally experienced faded but the underlining principles that made it a great book remained. It remains a classic on my bookshelf, and to this day I hope to see a sequal.
The book touches upon the evolution of mankind, and focus' on one individual, Gabriel, who is one of the cultural elite. With god-like authority, Gabriel can create worlds of great beauty while at the same time compose poetry and music and still hold a conversation on medical science.
Gabriel is restless though, and in his desire to solve a mystery he sets off on an adventure that ultimately challenges his beliefs, and the foundation of his culture. In the end he discovers that the aura of arrogance and power that came naturally to him before is now a difficult matter, and for the first time in his life knows fear and what it is to be "just human".
As a cultural analyst, I found the book rich in depth and, despite a couple raw points, very well done. The nuances that make a culture, and which I find lacking in many science-fiction books that attempt to create new or alien cultures, were very well done. I hope the author will someday write a sequal and continue the saga as Gabriel explores the universe in search of what he lost.”

Ender’s Shadow, by Orson Scott Card. Nominated by Thud.

“Ender's Shadow is being dubbed as a parallel novel to Orson Scott Card's Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Ender's Game. By "parallel," Card means that Shadow begins and ends at roughly the same time as Game, and it chronicles many of the same events. In fact, the two books tell an almost identical story of brilliant children being trained in the orbiting Battle School to lead humanity's fleets in the final war against alien invaders known as the Buggers. The most brilliant of these young recruits is Ender Wiggin, an unparalleled commander and tactician who can surely defeat the Buggers if only he can overcome his own inner turmoil.
Second among the children is Bean, who becomes Ender's lieutenant despite the fact that he is the smallest and youngest of the Battle School students. Bean is the central character of Shadow, and we pick up his story when he is just a 2-year-old starving on the streets of a future Rotterdam that has become a hell on earth. Bean is unnaturally intelligent for his age, which is the only thing that allows him to escape--though not unscathed--the streets and eventually end up in Battle School. Despite his brilliance, however, Bean is doomed to live his life as an also-ran to the more famous and in many ways more brilliant Ender. Nonetheless, Bean learns things that Ender cannot or will not understand, and it falls to this once pathetic street urchin to carry the weight of a terrible burden that Ender must not be allowed to know.
Although it may seem like Shadow is merely an attempt by Card to cash in on the success of his justly famous Ender's Game, that suspicion will dissipate once you turn the first few pages of this engrossing novel. It's clear that Bean has a story worth telling, and that Card (who started the project with a cowriter but later decided he wanted it all to himself) is driven to tell it. And though much of Ender's Game hinges on a surprise ending that Card fans are likely well acquainted with, Shadow manages to capitalize on that same surprise and even turn the table on readers. In the end, it seems a shame that Shadow, like Bean himself, will forever be eclipsed by the myth of Ender, because this is a novel that can easily stand on its own. Luckily for readers, Card has left plenty of room for a sequel, so we may well be seeing more of Bean in the near future.”

Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card. Nominated by Clear Skies.

Somewhat lame NY Times review: “Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?”

The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester. Nominated by redbaron.

“When it comes to pop culture, Alfred Bester (1913-1987) is something of an unsung hero. He wrote radio scripts, screenplays, and comic books (in which capacity he created the original Green Lantern Oath). But Bester is best known for his science-fiction novels, and The Stars My Destination may be his finest creation. First published in 1956 (as Tiger! Tiger!), the novel revolves around a hero named Gulliver Foyle, who teleports himself out of a tight spot and creates a great deal of consternation in the process. With its sly potshotting at corporate skullduggery, The Stars My Destination seems utterly contemporary, and has maintained its status as an underground classic for forty years. (Bester fans should also note that Vintage has reprinted The Demolished Man, which won the very first Hugo Award in 1953.) “

All the Way to the Gallows, by David Drake. Nominated by Loinburger.

From Ingram: “A collection of side-splitting science fiction shorts includes tales of paratrooper goblins, space cops and their politically correct alien supervisor, a band of mercenary elves, and a collaboration with Larry Niven.”

(After preview) Hah! Got all the coding correct the first time!
Old February 16, 2003, 11:59   #2
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 14:46
Heh. I've read almost all of these already. Guess I'll vote for my nomination and the two I haven't read yet.

I did think Foundation was mentioned in here recently. Guess that's my next book to read.

Wraith
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny...'"
-- Isaac Asimov
Old February 16, 2003, 12:04   #3
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 12:46
Not to butt in, but the only one on the list I've read is Ringworld, and I found it excruciatingly boring and pretty unrewarding to read.
Old February 16, 2003, 12:36   #4
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"I did think Foundation was mentioned in here recently. Guess that's my next book to read."

Yeah, I mentioned that it won in the March voting thread but I'm sure that not everybody has seen it. Perhaps I ought to put the next ACSSFBC (how's that for an abbrevation?) selection in my sig.

My three books, once again, reflect my taste for space opera and interstellar empire stuff.

Excession, by Iain M. Banks. About as big and as sprawling a Space Opera as you can wish for. I should warn people though: this book would benefit with familiarity with Banks' "Culture", otherwise it can be a bit confusing.

Aristoi, by Walter Jon Williams. I have not read this book, but it sounds as it would appeal to the CIV player in all of us as it deals with a human who creates and controls entire worlds.

The Dispossessed, by Ursula K LeGuin. Haven't read this one either ( ), and it is probably less Space Operaesque then the previous two, but what the hey. It's a classic, and it'll be new for me.
Old February 16, 2003, 12:38   #5
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Ender's Game and All the Way to the Gallows.
Old February 16, 2003, 12:44   #6
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 19:46
I've been looking for some new books to read and this list, though not all new to me, will hopefully give me a few new leads.
Old February 16, 2003, 21:12   #7
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 05:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Uh, doesn't that review of 'The Dispossessed' have things arsey versy?

Shevek lives on Anarres, the utopian planet, and wishes to travel to Urras, the sister, capitalist planet. It's part of the taoist inspired symbolism in the book, and Le Guin's work as a whole.

Anyways, I reiterate my support for 'The Dispossessed'- a healthy change from all those tedious militaristic right wing space operas (yes, Niven and Pournelle, I'm talking about you).

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 16, 2003, 21:14   #8
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

This is sooooooooooo geeky.
Old February 16, 2003, 21:33   #9
Demerzel
Warlord

heh no different than if it was a vote on Classical literature. Mostly read fiction recently or historical fact but recently desire something a little different
Old February 16, 2003, 22:16   #10
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ringworld, Ender's Game, or Ender's Shadow.

For a while, I thought that Ringworld was the best book every writtern.
Old February 16, 2003, 22:17   #11
St Leo

Anyways, I reiterate my support for 'The Dispossessed'- a healthy change from all those tedious militaristic right wing space operas (yes, Niven and Pournelle, I'm talking about you).

I hate Pournelle, but what's your beef with Niven? His works are hardly militaristic.
Old February 16, 2003, 22:32   #12
Lonestar
inmate
King

Ender's Game, Red Mars, and Ringworld

So.....Can I suggest we put The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein on the list?
Old February 16, 2003, 22:33   #13
Lonestar
inmate
King

Uhm...the *next* list, I mean.
Old February 16, 2003, 22:49   #14
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
Quote:
The Dispossessed...Nominated by Ramo.
How surprising
Great book though.
Old February 17, 2003, 01:17   #15
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 17, 2003, 01:18   #16
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Ender's game =
Old February 17, 2003, 01:19   #17
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Not to butt in, but the only one on the list I've read is Ringworld, and I found it excruciatingly boring and pretty unrewarding to read.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 17, 2003, 01:26   #18
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Ender's Game, Red Mars, and Ringworld

So.....Can I suggest we put The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein on the list?
Blurg. Heinlein is way over the top...

For my choices, MacLeod is a very decent writer.

Read The Cassini division and...I think it was called The Stone Canal? Good political SF writing.

The Red Mars trilogy is sorta boring. Way too much soap operaesque crap with a lot of internal monologue. Blurg.

OSC is pretty good, but he's got Ender on the brain. He shoulda let it drop after the first one.

Have you guys done "The Forever War" or "The Forever Peace" by Joe Haldeman yet? There's two versions of The Forever War out there, with a different middle section (the part that deals with their first return to Earth). One version is really good, the other is really bad.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 17, 2003, 15:10   #19
Clear Skies
Prince

I wish we had a fantasy book club...the Earthsea books and Ian Irvine's View From the Mirror quartet would be up there before you could blink...
And yes, I would organise one, but I really don't have time...college, and writing, and everything else...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old February 17, 2003, 15:39   #20
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger

OSC is pretty good, but he's got Ender on the brain. He shoulda let it drop after the first one.
a man gotta eat. ender sells...
Old February 17, 2003, 15:58   #21
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:46
Ender's Game, Red Mars and The Dispossessed.
Old February 17, 2003, 17:27   #22
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 21:46
hi ,

Enders game

have a nice day
Old February 17, 2003, 17:33   #23
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

ooh, i've got to remember to participate in this in the future. I have a copy of foundation, but it's at home right now guess I'll have to visit the parents and grab it soon.

I've heard of Red Planet, and none of the others, I guess I'll just watch and not vote so I get something new to read
Old February 17, 2003, 19:10   #24
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 05:46
Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo

I hate Pournelle, but what's your beef with Niven? His works are hardly militaristic.

Have you read 'The Mote in God's Eye"?

O.k., I realize it is a joint Niven/Pournelle production, but shades of 'Starship Troopers' or what...

His earlier works are less evidently right-wing, but as he enters senescence his tendencies are becoming more obvious, 'Man-Kzin Wars', for instance.

From the pen of Tassadar:

'This is sooooooooooo geeky.'

Why?

Because you have a perceived notion of what science fiction or science fiction readers are like?

My degree was in English literature and language- and frankly a science fiction writer like Samuel R. Delany (as a theorist and an author) fits right in. It's funny how the moment a 'mainstream' author such as Martin Amis writes something like 'Time's Arrow', literary critics wet their pants, while those of us familiar with Philip K. **** try to stifle yawns.

If you don't read science fiction at all, you're missing out on works by H.G. Wells, Zoe Fairbairns, Edgar Allan Poe, H.E. Bates, L.P. Hartley, Yevgeny Zamyatin, Cyrano de Bergerac, Antony Burgess and a host of other 'mainstream' writers who have written science fiction works. Really, I'd rather read Octavia Butler or Greg Egan than Bret Easton Ellis or Jay McInerney.

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old February 17, 2003, 20:09   #25
ajbera
Prince

Ahhh...The Mote in God's Eye was wonderful. I finally read it last year and found it sooo rewarding. Marvelous book, highly recommended.

While Ringworld happens to be one of the next books on my "to read" list, the only one on the Aployton list that I've read is The Stars my Destination, and it is absolutely great (as is The Demolished Man, also by Bester). So, that gets my vote. Really, really, really good stuff.

Anybody read any Ted Sturgeon?
Old February 17, 2003, 21:06   #26
Darsnan
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 GaiansApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansPolyCast TeamSpore
Emperor

Ringworld gets my vote: really visionary work for the time that it came out, and set up everything so well for T.R.E., which still remains one of my all time fav's!

D

-=Vel=-
Old February 17, 2003, 21:31   #27
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Hmm. Ender's Game is squarely in the lead, followed by Ringworld and The Dispossessed.

Which puzzles me a bit. I figured everyone at all interested in the genre has read the first two of those by now. Ah well.

--"Aristoi, by Walter Jon Williams. I have not read this book, but it sounds as it would appeal to the CIV player in all of us as it deals with a human who creates and controls entire worlds. "

A number of humans doing so, no less. Yeah, it does fit the Space Opera mold in a few ways. One of the few "far future" settings in the list, too.

Can't say The Dispossessed is Space Opera at all, but if it's new to you then it'll still be a good choice.

--"I wish we had a fantasy book club..."

That's an idea. Perhaps I'll do something about it this weekend. Be hard to decide which book to recommend for the list, though. There are a lot of good recent authors. George R. R. Martin and Janny Wurts spring to mind.

Or perhaps I'll try an anime/manga club in addition to the Anime Apolyton threads...

--"I've heard of Red Planet, and none of the others, I guess I'll just watch and not vote so I get something new to read"

Why not vote for things you haven't read?
If nothing else, if something you have read is tied with something you haven't, you could be the spoiler.

--"Anybody read any Ted Sturgeon?"

He's one of my favorites. I almost nominated one of his instead of Aristoi, but his best stuff is in the short stories.

Wraith
"Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories."
-- Arthur C. Clarke
Old February 18, 2003, 00:17   #28
St Leo

Have you read 'The Mote in God's Eye"?

O.k., I realize it is a joint Niven/Pournelle production, but shades of 'Starship Troopers' or what...

No, after reading Footfall and Beowulf's Children I've given up on all fiction tainted by Pournelle's name on the cover. Niven is a wonderful writer, but he seems to let Pournelle crapify all of their collaborations into unreadable messes.

His earlier works are less evidently right-wing, but as he enters senescence his tendencies are becoming more obvious, 'Man-Kzin Wars', for instance.

Uh, those are collections of stories written by other writers that happen to be set in Known Space. I don't know what you mean by right-wing. Pournelle's the right-wing nutcase or, as he puts it, "a 13th century liberal".

I am a lefty by most standards and the only thing that annoys me in Niven books is an unusually high focus on pregnancy.

I recommend Niven's Rainbow Mars, Ringworld, and Integral Trees. Smoke Ring, Ringworld Engineers, and Ringworld Throne are pretty good sequels.

World of Ptavvs is only available in the Three Books of Known Space volume that contains some excellent stories (Safe at Any Speed is brilliant) and A Gift From Earth, Niven's worst solo book.

I haven't yet been able to locateProtector, but I have found Crashlander and Flatlander to be thoroughly enjoyable as well. A World Out of Time is interesting though far too similar to Ringworld plot-wise.

I wonder what happenned with Ringworld Child, the sequel he planned to release in 2002.

Some Larry Niven Freebies. I especially recommend the Down in Flames novel outline and the Last Necronomicon.
Old February 18, 2003, 00:58   #29
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 13:46
The Mote in God's Eye is the best thing either of the authors have ever written

Jon Miller
Old February 18, 2003, 06:54   #30
redbaron
Prince

Local Time: 20:46
Quote:
Originally posted by ajbera

Anybody read any Ted Sturgeon?
I'm currently working my way through the Complete Works that are being published. So far I'm up to Volume 7. Fascinating to see how he developed (and how many of the themes of his later work show up fairly early on).