Old February 16, 2003, 19:19   #1
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 21:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Representing "Civ X"...
Hi everybody.

For my Extrapack Homepage, I'm currently making specific background images for every single civ, also for the existing ones.

Thus, I have to ask myself, which buildings/persons/units best represent the civ on the background. Every civ should have 4 (or maybe 6) items. At the bottom of this post you find a preview of the roman background.
But I'm not really sure, what to pick for every civilization, so I thought I'd post here and ask what you would put as representative items for the civilizations.

What I have so far for the existing civs:

Romans: Caesar, Triumph Arch, Colosseum, Legionary [+Constantine, Catapult?]
Egypt: Ramses, Chariotman, Horus, Pyramids [+?(mil. unit?), valley of kings?]
Greeks: Akropolis, Alexander, Socrates, Hoplite, [+Laokoon?, Greek Vase?]
Babylon: Marduk, Bowman, Ziqurat, Hammurabi [+Ishtar Gate, Nebukadnezar?]
Germany: Brandenburg Gate, Luther, Bismarck, Panther-Panzer, [+Prussian Soldier with typical helmet, ? (building?)]
Russians: Cossack, Lenin, Hammer/Sicle, Kreml [+Catherine, Hermitage]
Chinese: Forbidden City, Konfucius, Mao, Chinese Rider [+building? (wall), Terracotta Army]
America: F-16, Statue of Liberty, Lincoln, White House [+Jefferson (or Washington), Marine]
Japan: Shogun Tokugawa, Samurai, Shuri Castle, Mount Fuji [?]France: Eiffel-Tower, Versailles, Louis XIV, Musketeer [+Napoleon, Napoleonic Guard?]
India: Gandhi, Taj Mahal, War Elephant, Jagannatha Temple [+Chandragupte/Ashoka?, ? (mil. unit?)]
Persia: Zarathustra, Immortals, Shapur, Safiedinwhat else? building!
Aztecs: Main Temple, Calendar Stone, Motecuhzoma I, Eagle Warrior [+Quetzalcoatl, Human Sacrifice]
Zulu: Great Zimbabwe, Zulu Warrior, Shaka Zulu, Clay Hut what else?
Iroquois: Wampum Belt, Longhouse, Brant,
England: Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Man-O-War, Elizabeth [+Royal Guard, Churchill]
Barbarians: Attila, Scyth Horseman, Paled Skull, Burning House [+Pirate Ship, Arminius]

Still have to think about the Extra Civs...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pergament1rome.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	37167  

Last edited by Wernazuma III; February 18, 2003 at 14:48.
Old February 17, 2003, 06:03   #2
aaglo
King

Local Time: 22:49
Japan: Mount Fuji, Japanese Shinto-temple, Pokemon

Persia: the palace of Saddam Hussein (nah, not really, but some similar palace - you know the stuff)

Zulu: African shield (look hints from the flag of Kenia), or a clay hut

Iroquois: Tee-pee, a scenery from yellowstone park, an Iroquoise warrior, a peace pipe.

Old February 17, 2003, 09:14   #3
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
Japan: Mount Fuji, Japanese Shinto-temple, Pokemon
Funny, I've also thought about Mount Fuji, although I did not think about a natural monument in any of the other cases. Shinto temple is a good idea too, and well, the Pokemon

Quote:
Persia: the palace of Saddam Hussein (nah, not really, but some similar palace - you know the stuff)
But Saddam is Mesopotamian... No really, I don't know about the palaces you're talking about. Got any pic?

Quote:
Zulu: African shield (look hints from the flag of Kenia), or a clay hut
Clay hut, OK. Not sure about the shield. It's already coming with the Zulu warrior I think, but still, if I can't find anything else...

Quote:
Iroquois: Tee-pee, a scenery from yellowstone park, an Iroquoise warrior, a peace pipe.
I better wait for Ribannah

Thanks for your tips!
Old February 17, 2003, 17:44   #4
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 20:49
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Iroquois
Perhaps the statue of Joseph Brant in Brantford:

Painting of the same chief:

Other ideas: wampum belts, longhouse / village / crops, Thomas Moran's painting of Hiawatha in his canoe, the national symbol (the Eagle, rudely copied by the USA).

Unit: I can only hope that you've changed the UU into something appropriate such as a Musketman variant or a War Canoe.

Japan: Shuri Castle, tea ceremony
Persia: Safiedin Bathhouse
England: Camelot
Egypt: Sphinx
Russia: Hermitage
Old February 18, 2003, 02:45   #5
aaglo
King

Another for Egypt - The temple of Abu Simbel
Old February 18, 2003, 06:11   #6
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: Representing "Civ X"...
Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Romans: Triumph Arch
Isn't that a French Monument
Old February 18, 2003, 06:25   #7
aaglo
King

Various triumph archs were used widely across the Europe.
Old February 18, 2003, 06:29   #8
aaglo
King

Quote:
But Saddam is Mesopotamian... No really, I don't know about the palaces you're talking about. Got any pic?
Well, actually something like this. A palace with minarets and those 'onions' (what are they called?) on top of the towers.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	perpal.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	37297  
Old February 18, 2003, 14:59   #9
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Re: Re: Representing "Civ X"...
Quote:
Originally posted by Elden

Isn't that a French Monument
The French "arch de triomphe", just like other modern triumph arches were built to demonstrate imperial power, to imitate ancient Rome, where emperors after leading successful wars sometimes built those. The most famous is the "Constantine Arch".
Old March 12, 2003, 16:08   #10
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:49
Quote:
to imitate ancient Rome, where emperors after leading successful wars sometimes built those
So wait, you're telling me France led a successful war? After Napoleon, France didn't deal in war (very well) except when it came to imperialism. When was the Arc de Triomphe built?
Old March 12, 2003, 18:51   #11
Wernazuma III
Emperor

At first, I was talking about Roman emperors, if you read more carefully. Secondly, this US troll France bashing is getting old and I've discussed it far too often. At least you say "after Napoleon", which makes more sense than the usual bashings.
The Arc de Triomphe was initiated by Napoleon btw., though finished later.
Old March 12, 2003, 18:56   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
At first, I was talking about Roman emperors, if you read more carefully. Secondly, this US troll France bashing is getting old and I've discussed it far too often. At least you say "after Napoleon", which makes more sense than the usual bashings.
The Arc de Triomphe was initiated by Napoleon btw., though finished later.

hi ,

a lot of people seem to forget what he did for europe , .... schools systems and laws that are in use till this day

have a nice day
Old March 12, 2003, 19:41   #13
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

I apologize if I offended anyone, since I didn't mean it as bashing. I actually think France has the right idea in the Iraq conflict.

Anyway, I was simply stating that France didn't win too often after Napoleon.

I did note the roman emperors thing, but France built it to imitate that, right?
Old March 13, 2003, 13:12   #14
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ephesos
I apologize if I offended anyone, since I didn't mean it as bashing. I actually think France has the right idea in the Iraq conflict.

Anyway, I was simply stating that France didn't win too often after Napoleon.

I did note the roman emperors thing, but France built it to imitate that, right?
Don't worry, I'm sorry for being too aggressive towards a newbie.
And yes, Napoleon wanted to imitate the roman imperial arches. It was the time of a pseudo-renaissance, commbined with rising Imperialism - like Rome brought civilization to the barbarians, the French brought the modern ideals of the revolution (minus the democracy thing )to the rest of Europe, which still lived under the repressive ancien regime...
Old March 13, 2003, 16:06   #15
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Well, that clears it up. Thanks.
Old March 13, 2003, 16:08   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:

Don't worry, I'm sorry for being too aggressive towards a newbie.
And yes, Napoleon wanted to imitate the roman imperial arches. It was the time of a pseudo-renaissance, commbined with rising Imperialism - like Rome brought civilization to the barbarians, the French brought the modern ideals of the revolution (minus the democracy thing )to the rest of Europe, which still lived under the repressive ancien regime...

hi ,

indeed "napi" did a great deal of things for the people where he installed his own government , school's , freedom of speech (!) basic law , minimum wages , etc , ..... not to mention that where they came they put up a type of federal police , .....

we can argue about his mishaps and they way he did things but for europe it's a good thing in the end , ...

have a nice day
Old March 14, 2003, 06:42   #17
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

indeed "napi" did a great deal of things for the people where he installed his own government , school's , freedom of speech (!) basic law , minimum wages , etc , ..... not to mention that where they came they put up a type of federal police , .....

we can argue about his mishaps and they way he did things but for europe it's a good thing in the end , ...

have a nice day
Don't get me wrong, I basically agree with this, Napoleon really brought the age of reason to many parts of Europe which were stuck in absolutist regimes and medieval thinking.
I just felt that I have to add that today we wouldn't sign his mistrust in democracy, which, of course, was also understandable considering the experiences after the French revolution - Napi must have really felt the same what late Roman Republic politicians like Caesar thought, facing the incapability of Republican structures (not that Rome was a democracy before Caesar though). And furthermore I think that conducting his "mission civilatrice" with force and bathing in blood was not wise. When people aren't ready, you won't do any good, just get staunch fundamentalist opposition. The effect of Napoleon - the Restitution, even more severe censorships etc.
Forced change from outside is very dangerous. Like Americans today often feel they have to export their democracy and freedom to many parts of the world. While we can also discuss if the American model is really that good or not, most people will see that it's much more favorable than, say, Saddam's regime or even worse, the freaking Taliban, but still the question remains if it's a good idea to force a change for which people aren't ready... Change should come from inside where possible IMHO.