Old March 3, 2003, 05:30   #31
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Local Time: 19:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Heh... I just reinstalled the game a wekk or so ago and I am playing again.. maybe I am abusing the system a litte .... but It's still fun after a week or more playing (for the second time)... there is only a handfull of games capable of doing that for me...

anyway... it is a great RPG and a great game, maybe it could have been better... but after all no product is perfect... however by today's standards this game is simply great.

I hope someone comes out soon and improves on the concept even more.

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old March 3, 2003, 09:22   #32
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by pg

yes, since obviously my opinions differ from yours i'm obviously all those things you said. are you so insecure in your own opinions that you need to bash mine
I'm not "bashing" you. I just don't see why else you would cheat and then complain about it. :confuse:

You know, there is a reason why they call Morrowind an "open canvas" RPG. Because you make of it what you want. Take this quote form the Daggerfall manual, for example. I think it gives you a good idea of what I'm taking about.

Quote:
The "Replay the Save Game" Strategy

Most computer gamers use the save game to maximize their playing ability. Anytime something goes wrong, they reutrn to a saved game and replay it until they get it right. The final history of their game looks like an endless streak of lucky breaks and perfect choices.

Role-playing is not about playing the perfect game. It is about building a character and creating a story. Bethesda Softworks has worked very hard to make The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall a game that does not require players to replay their mistakes. All adversity can be overcome, excepting only the character's actual death. In fact, you will never see some of the most interesting aspects of the game unless you play through your mistakes.

If your character dies, gets locked in a dungeon. or some other truly catastrophic event takes place, by all means return to your last saved game and replay it. However, if you character is caught pickpocketing, if a quest goes wrong, or some other mundane mishap occurs, let it play out. You may be surprised by what happens next.

Do It Ourselves
Old March 4, 2003, 00:12   #33
pg
Prince

Local Time: 14:50
which is another reason why i dislike morrowind because it's supposed to be open canvas but isn't even a level above daggerfall. in morrowind i can play the near perfect game without the "replay the save game strategy".
Old March 4, 2003, 10:33   #34
Swiss
Settler

Xbox gamer here, haven't actually experienced any game-ruining problems yet in morrowind... couple of game-design flaws with certain missions... but i'm level 30 now and haven't even touched the main storyline.. hehe, oh well.

Must be the only person who is able to say he likes morrowind without saying 'but'.
Old March 10, 2003, 12:13   #35
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

SG[1]
Old March 12, 2003, 11:50   #36
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
I'm starting Morrowind(the original) again.

My first an only game was also my first RPG game ever, so I made lots of mistakes. This time i'm doing things right.

What traits and race should I pick for a thief?
Old March 12, 2003, 12:26   #37
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:50
Oy vey. I lost the disk.
Old March 13, 2003, 07:05   #38
Andemagne
Civilization II MultiplayerNationStatesCivilization II Succession GamesACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 21:50
what kind of game this "morrowwind" is anyway? any good?
Old March 13, 2003, 22:29   #39
Standup
Prince

Local Time: 20:50
Maybe i didn't give it a chance but i just got sooo bored walking around. Yes it free form, non linear but there didn't seem to be much role playing in it compared to games like Fallout or even Baldur's Gate. I'm happy to be corrected if the game changes but i didn't feel i was making any character developing decisions ?

I think part of the problem is my PC being a bit too low spec but i just didn't feel involved in any way - i could be a mage or a merchant but the world/NPCs didn't seem to react in anyway to my choices ? And combat ? seems a shame to a have spent all that time on the game and come up with such a poor system.

I do want to like Morrowind but i think i need to be convinced to reinstall it.

I guess i'll continue reading the morrrowind threads until i'm convinced.
Old March 13, 2003, 22:40   #40
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Standup
Maybe i didn't give it a chance but i just got sooo bored walking around. Yes it free form, non linear but there didn't seem to be much role playing in it compared to games like Fallout or even Baldur's Gate. I'm happy to be corrected if the game changes but i didn't feel i was making any character developing decisions ?

I think part of the problem is my PC being a bit too low spec but i just didn't feel involved in any way - i could be a mage or a merchant but the world/NPCs didn't seem to react in anyway to my choices ? And combat ? seems a shame to a have spent all that time on the game and come up with such a poor system.

If your PC is low spec, try running it Windowed and turn the graphics down. Sight distance, for example. Turning of music also helps.

I haven't played the game in about 2 month's, I have played Fallout again recently.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old March 14, 2003, 01:57   #41
pg
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Standup
Maybe i didn't give it a chance but i just got sooo bored walking around. Yes it free form, non linear but there didn't seem to be much role playing in it compared to games like Fallout or even Baldur's Gate. I'm happy to be corrected if the game changes but i didn't feel i was making any character developing decisions?
you made your decisions about how to play then played how you wanted, not the other way around. it's not that you didn't have decisions to make in game there just weren't many and usually they had few to no in-game consequences.

Quote:
I think part of the problem is my PC being a bit too low spec
mw runs ok on slow pcs especially if you use mw fps optimizer. plus you don't need many fps to play since combat is so slow. i did more than fine with a 750mhz/128mb ram/gf1 ddr. is your system worse than that?

Quote:
i just didn't feel involved in any way - i could be a mage or a merchant but the world/NPCs didn't seem to react in anyway to my choices?
mw forgot it was a game not something in your imagination. the interactivity sucked. i can't imagine them building that huge beautiful world with rich detail then not simulating even the smallest things within it.

Quote:
And combat ? seems a shame to a have spent all that time on the game and come up with such a poor system.
yup, since like all rpgs mw really revolves solely around combat but mw likes to pretend it doesn't(this is a roleplaying game!). yet there is really no way to roleplay in game more than any other rpg so the freeform play goes out the window. the freeform playing only came into the gameplay when 'exploiting' the numerous imbalances in the magic system/alchemy/combat/stealing/etc. my favorite part was where you could stand in front of some low level monster and gain armor skills yet other skills were near impossible to raise.

Quote:

i'll never convince you.
Old March 14, 2003, 03:19   #42
CapitanGarlic
NationStates
Prince

Local Time: 12:50
The way you've acted in this thread one would think that MW killed your children or something...and, despite risking your enimity, I've gotta agree with Osweld. If you don't like the possible exploitations, why exploit them?

Also, as for the 'roleplaying' aspect -- the whole idea is that you play a role. Would you, in that position, simply stand still and let some angry critter try and kill you? Doing obviously 'gamer'-ish things and then complaining about the roleplaying aspect seems a bit out of place in an argument as well.
Old March 14, 2003, 17:01   #43
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 15:50
Quote:
so much bad talk about morrowind.

why is this game rated so high. And it had several long threads here in other games. It seemed to be more popular at Apolyton than other rpg's like Neverwinter- which I still play with other people.
Well this is a GREAT game, but some people just see that it could be more. No game is perfect, and I've seen this in every game I've played. Personally I loved it, but I think it could have been better. I'd take Morrowind's world and immersion and combine it with the Balder's Gate / Fallout dialog and quests.

I also agree with Oswald. It seems silly to complain about how easy the exploits make the game when you don't have to exploit the game.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 18, 2003, 10:41   #44
OneFootInTheGrave
King

Heh I like the fact in the game that I am playing now I have the marksman skill developed... those bows and arrows are quite neat... however while floating oops... levitating, most of the things are too easy to kill... well I don't bothwer with this really, apart from those annoying birds... lately I had enchanted a daedric shield with 4 seconds 100 points 50 feet fire attack so all those pests just die straight no matter how many come running after me... Normal enemies I still like taking out either with bow and arrow or with some swords or axes... that Cloudcleaver from the beginning of the game is still a potent weapon now...

Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good.
Old March 18, 2003, 22:57   #45
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I loved Morrowind, but didn't get the expansion. What does it add to the game?
Old March 19, 2003, 02:01   #46
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 15:50
The city of Mournhold and a bunch of sewers and tunnels underneath it. I enjoy it a lot.
Old March 28, 2003, 20:07   #47
OneFootInTheGrave
King

is it any better story wise than the original?