Old March 5, 2001, 12:37   #1
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Local Time: 00:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Map Utility
I've been trying to find a decent map utility. The one that Apolyton, et al have posted from some AOL guy just doesn't even work! The "edit map" function in SMAC/X is a bit cumbersome. Anyone have any ideas, or is there a well-written article on how to use the danged thing?

NS

------------------
"The report of my enemy's death is not an exaggeration." -NorthSwordsman
"You can go a long way with a Rover. You can go much further with a Shard- equipped Rover."-NS
[This message has been edited by NorthSwordsman (edited March 05, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by NorthSwordsman (edited March 05, 2001).]
Old March 5, 2001, 16:25   #2
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 06:09
NS: Oh, MapUtility works alright, and it works very well. You just need to provide input via .pcx files.
In other words, RTFM !

LoD
Old March 5, 2001, 23:09   #3
NorthSwordsman
Prince

Local Time: 00:09
quote:

Originally posted by LoD on 03-05-2001 03:25 PM
NS: Oh, MapUtility works alright, and it works very well. You just need to provide input via .pcx files.
In other words, RTFM !

LoD

Hmm... maybe that is the problem. I started by loading a .mp file... I thought .pcx was a picture/graphic file, not a map file. I'm new to the map-making area, any tips?

NS

------------------
"The report of my enemy's death is not an exaggeration." -NorthSwordsman

"You can go a long way with a Rover. You can go much further with a Shard-equipped Rover."-NS
Old March 6, 2001, 10:21   #4
LoD
Prince

NS: MapUtility converts 256 greyscale graphic files into SMAC (and not only SMAC) maps. What you need to do is create such a file (bearring in mind that black i ocean, white is max height land) using a graphics editor, load that file into MapUtility, and than save it as SMAC map (the program will prompt you for size).
Alternatively you can use NOAA's geogrephic maps.

Anyway, MapUtility does have a readme file, where everything is explained, so I encourage you to read it .

------------------

LoD - Owner/Webmaster of

THE CHIRONIAN GUILD SMAC Site
[This message has been edited by LoD (edited March 06, 2001).]
Old March 9, 2001, 01:44   #5
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 01:09
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
I recently downloaded MapUtility and gave it a whirl, but went back to using SMAC's mapmaker. MU allows only 128x128 SMAC maps, whereas SMAC 4.0 allows up to 256x256 (which is in truth not 65,536 squares but only 32,768 because the even-numbered columns have only even-numbered rows and the odd-numbered columns have only odd-numbered rows).

EDIT: I am wrong again 256x256 map does in fact give 65,536 spaces because the columns are numbered 0-511. The row numbering is right though: only odds for odds, evens for evens.

Still not big enough for me; I'd like to go at least 360x360 (I dabble in geography and orienteering, so I like to think in terms of latitude and longitude). I'd love to go even bigger. (I don't have SMAX. Can you guys make bigger maps in that and, if so, can they be used by SMAC?) Also, MU makes a shallow, flat-bottomed sea; no variation in depth

I have SMAC create a map and then I go in and tweak it. I make sure to put in the Nessus Canyon on an existing highland plateau, either right in the middle of it or off toward an edge. Something I've learned to watch out for is a non-existent Freshwater Sea. It likes to stick the landmark in where there is no body of water, not even a one-square pond , so I just erase it and find or make a good place for it somewhere. I noticed something in another thread about plopping one landmark on top of another, but haven't tried it yet. Would Nessus Canyon on top of Mount Planet make something like a Mount St. Helens?

I've lost prime opportunities to actually Play The Game because I got so engrossed in mapmaking

Sorry, I'm rambling...
[This message has been edited by gwillybj (edited March 09, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by gwillybj (edited March 12, 2001).]
Old March 13, 2001, 16:23   #6
LoD
Prince

quote:

EDIT: I am wrong again 256x256 map does in fact give 65,536 spaces because the columns are numbered 0-511. The row numbering is right though: only odds for odds, evens for evens.

Actually, the numbers of collums and rows grow incrementally, not only odd or only even. It is because the "rows" and "collums" do not go horizontally or vertically - they go diagonally instead. So, try to count along diagonal lines - you will the see that horizontal and vertical coords range from 0 to 255 on a 256 to 256 map.

quote:

Still not big enough for me; I'd like to go at least 360x360 (I dabble in geography and orienteering, so I like to think in terms of latitude and longitude). I'd love to go even bigger.

Did you try generating a random oversize map through "Start New Game" and then editting it? I've heard of people going up to at least 512X512.

quote:

Also, MU makes a shallow, flat-bottomed sea; no variation in depth.

That's because it's also a Civ2 map editor.

LoD
Old March 26, 2001, 02:46   #7
gwillybj
Prince

Local Time: 01:09
Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
quote:

Originally posted by LoD on 03-13-2001 03:23 PM
Did you try generating a random oversize map through "Start New Game" and then editting it? I've heard of people going up to at least 512X512.

LoD

Yes. If I put in any number over 256, it ignores it and makes it 256. I've tried 360; I've tried 500; I've tried 1000. Every time, all I got was 256 . I wonder if those larger maps are being made in SMAX
[edit: added smilies per following post ]
[This message has been edited by gwillybj (edited March 26, 2001).]
Old March 27, 2001, 01:10   #8
knowhow2
King

quote:

Yes. If I put in any number over 256, it ignores it and makes it 256. I've tried 360; I've tried 500; I've tried 1000. Every time, all I got was 256. I wonder if those larger maps are being made in SMAX?

oh my god.... no smilies???

sorry about not contributing