Old March 27, 2001, 21:36   #1
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Rescued factions
After a faction swears a Pact to serve you in exchange for mercy, it is true that they can eventually turn on you if they again rise to too great a power. Is this true also of factions that you've rescued from a punishment sphere, or is anyone aware of a deeper sense of loyalty among them? One would certainly hope so . . .
Old March 27, 2001, 21:48   #2
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

You've got to be careful with this. While submissives can turn on you, you normally must do something to get them to. For example, if Morgan surrenders and I nerve gas everyone to pieces and gain a poor reputation, then he'd probably revolt. Sometimes people say a powerful submissive is also an unruly submissive.

It also depends on what faction. The evil Yang would probably revolt more easily than a more passive country would. Submissives can also rebel if you are framed for a probe team action against them, if you attack them (of course), and if you abuse them by demanding things constantly. That's what I know, anyway

------------------
The fault lies not in our SMAC, but in our stars.
~ Vanguard, February 2, 2000.
Old March 28, 2001, 14:36   #3
It'sLikeThat

I played a game once where my submissive Santiago turned on me. True, she was already more powerful than I am, but I think she did it unintentionally, as the cause for the vendetta was my impact rover in a University base (Zak was also my submissive, but he's at war with Santiago) that was the target of a band of Spartan gatling rovers.

Old March 30, 2001, 11:03   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by SMACed on 03-27-2001 08:48 PM
You've got to be careful with this. While submissives can turn on you, you normally must do something to get them to. For example, if Morgan surrenders and I nerve gas everyone to pieces and gain a poor reputation, then he'd probably revolt. Sometimes people say a powerful submissive is also an unruly submissive.

It also depends on what faction. The evil Yang would probably revolt more easily than a more passive country would. Submissives can also rebel if you are framed for a probe team action against them, if you attack them (of course), and if you abuse them by demanding things constantly. That's what I know, anyway

Good point. Well, I always play without resorting to atrocities (or at the very least, would try to get the UN Sanctions lifted first). And I treat my pet leaders well.

Yang always gets locked away in a sphere, since he waits so dern long before he surrenders that I have all that was his anyway. I then give his bases to a more deserving pact bro/sis.