Old March 5, 2003, 13:50   #31
IthacaMike
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
One of the things about the Beserker rush is their speed. The galley they are in moves three and then they can do their thing. Their effective attack range is 4. After they capture a town the defenders (pikemen?) can then unload into the town.

These guys are faster than knights.

Mike G
Old March 5, 2003, 14:25   #32
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 19:59
Yes, but only for coastal cities! What if you're taking on a Civ with a very slight coastline?

Using this strategy alone you'd come up against the same problem the real Vikings had... better organized pseudo-nations attacking your colonies and taking them back.

Coupled with a knight offensive, though, the combination could be quite deadly. Or against a civ with a huge coastline.
Old March 5, 2003, 14:36   #33
minke19104
Warlord

you can always raze
Old March 5, 2003, 14:38   #34
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 13:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
The Berserker is Amphibious???????
I had no idea about this... guess I know what my next civ to play is gonna be...
That's the coolest part! You can take coastal cities w/ ease. Just follow the Berserkir with boats of defenders to hold it once you take the town.

Quote:
Originally posted by Thirgaral
Well, attack IS the best defence...
Yes, indeed. It has been said that a the best Offense is a good Defense, but I argue that a good Offense beats any Defense. Take the fight to them!

On a personal note:
I've been playing w/ my remaining Berserkers well past their obsolecence. They can even take-out Riflemen most of the time (assuming not too much of a defensive bonus). They are even good when attacking Cavalry units. Heck, I've even taken out Tanks w/ Berzerkir!! (just don't expect the Berserkir to withstand being attacked by Tanks.)

The remain useful for a long time after you build them. Obviously the Marine is a better Amphib unit, but until the Marine is available, the Berserker Rules! Hail to the King, baby!
Old March 5, 2003, 16:24   #35
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 21:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
Actually, Firaxis got it right, though it didn't go into great detail... the "berserks" were most likely epileptics, who charged forth and weren't REALLY impervious to fire and steel, but just acted that way.

I'm an epileptic, and I can assure you that when you have a seizure, you can't be stopped. After the seizure, on the other hand, you can bleed, pass out, die, etc.

And this I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that most of the raiders went "berserk" in battle. There were most likely more impressive warriors, maybe even a class of them, but I think the term "berserk" can be applied to the average viking raider.

But correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought "berserk" rather meant a state of mind than a special military unit, but when I checked it, I found out I was wrong.

According to the Swedish National Encyclopedia, Berserk actually was a kind of elite soldier who was extremely furious in battle. As I wrote in a previous post, there is a legend claiming that they got stoned on poison fungus to reach their state of rage. There is a word in the Swedish language that means "to walk like a berserk" which could be used to describe events like "drunk rock star thrashing a hotel room" or "elephant escaped from zoo".

The word "berserk" probably comes from bar (=naked) and serk (=shirt) which means that they didn't even bother to put on an armour before going to battle. Another possible explanation of the word is "a man who wears a bear skin".
Old March 5, 2003, 16:28   #36
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

yikes! I'll take a nice, tidy Musketeer please.
Old March 5, 2003, 17:32   #37
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

Local Time: 20:59
Quote:
According to the Swedish National Encyclopedia, Berserk actually was a kind of elite soldier who was extremely furious in battle. As I wrote in a previous post, there is a legend claiming that they got stoned on poison fungus to reach their state of rage. There is a word in the Swedish language that means "to walk like a berserk" which could be used to describe events like "drunk rock star thrashing a hotel room" or "elephant escaped from zoo".
Maybe they just got mad cus someone called them stupid
And which word do you mean?..."bärsärkagång"?

Quote:
The word "berserk" probably comes from bar (=naked) and serk (=shirt) which means that they didn't even bother to put on an armour before going to battle. Another possible explanation of the word is "a man who wears a bear skin".
I don´t agree... I can´t see how "bar" could become "bär"? It´s more likely "bär" as in "carry" which together with "särk" could mean something like a more brutal version of "bära hand på" (i´ll need help to translate that into english) or it´s "bärs" (beer) and "ärk" (uhm, maybe it means "go nuts") or "bär" as in "berry"...

The conclusion of this would be that I honestly have no idea, but bar, naked sounds a bit far fetched.
When I think about it, you could be right... särk, shirt is so obvious...
Old March 5, 2003, 17:55   #38
minke19104
Warlord

Beserkir v.s Infantries is hard though..

Actually after replacable parts, I sometimes upgraded my beserkir in enemy territory into Guerillas, if I'm in a pinch. So 6 attack to 6 attack 6 def no more amphibious.

I know I'd lose them, but I'm going to anyway if they counterattack the city..
Old March 5, 2003, 17:55   #39
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:

Maybe they just got mad cus someone called them stupid
And which word do you mean?..."bärsärkagång"?

JA

I don´t agree... I can´t see how "bar" could become "bär"? It´s more likely "bär" as in "carry" which together with "särk" could mean something like a more brutal version of "bära hand på" (i´ll need help to translate that into english) or it´s "bärs" (beer) and "ärk" (uhm, maybe it means "go nuts") or "bär" as in "berry"...

The conclusion of this would be that I honestly have no idea, but bar, naked sounds a bit far fetched.
When I think about it, you could be right... särk, shirt is so obvious...
Det kommer från fornisländskans "berr" som betyder bar. Bärsärk betyder möjligen "i bara särken" enligt NE. Inte helt naken.

Sorry about the Swedish, but some is hard to translate. At least I'm too lazy for it right now.
Old March 6, 2003, 10:11   #40
Thirgaral
Warlord

Well as I said... I really don´t know so, you´re most likely right
Maybe the vikings didn´t know themselves...
We´ll probably have to ask some professor of the swedish language...
Actually....it doesn´t really matter....
Ooh...a lot of smilies in this post...
Old March 8, 2003, 21:37   #41
Chemical Ollie
King

As a Viking, I say: Give me Bärsärk NUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!

Where are PTW in Scandinavia?
Old March 9, 2003, 12:07   #42
Thirgaral
Warlord

It was supposed to come on 7th march but they moved it again so now its the 14th....
Old March 9, 2003, 16:49   #43
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
It was supposed to come on 7th march but they moved it again so now its the 14th....
I'm currently downloading a cracked version. Why wait any longer?