Old February 20, 2003, 12:48   #31
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
did anyone notice the "slogan" on the top right?

Teach Your Kids
HOW TO THINK
Not Just What To Think

Old February 20, 2003, 14:50   #32
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:59
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
did anyone notice the "slogan" on the top right?

Teach Your Kids
HOW TO THINK
Not Just What To Think

With that type of religious-indoctrination, teaching kids "how to think" is just as crazy as brainwashing.

WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
TOMB RAIDER IS EVIL

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 20, 2003, 14:56   #33
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Here's another funny quote from the Quake 2 review:

You as the player are on a military mission and you are encouraged to enjoy killing without a shred of mercy. If you do show mercy, you will get shot in the back. Now many Web sites allow you to play and talk online with numerous real-life gamers while shooting them. Many hard-core gamers enjoy stalking and killing people that they know at these group Web sites.

Mommy help! This guy called Satan84 is stalking me!!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 20, 2003, 16:03   #34
Crousto
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 20:59
My favourite one, from the Monkey Island 4 review... It was the funniest part of the game

Quote:
ILLEGAL/HARMFUL MATERIAL
At times Guybrush seems unethical. ... In another part of the game, he must press a school's fire alarm several times, which causes the teacher to take flight for a short duration, allowing Guybrush to sneak inside and take the items that he needs for another part of the game.
Old February 20, 2003, 16:06   #35
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by statusperfect

Tetris?
There's always somebody.
Old February 20, 2003, 16:29   #36
Stuie
King

Local Time: 15:59
I want the Atheist point of view.

Illegal/Harmful Material

Non-believers may be put off by the need to build "Temples" and "Cathedrals" in order to maintain a happy population.
Old February 20, 2003, 17:17   #37
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 21:59
Re: Re: "Civilization III is a Role Playing Game"
Quote:
Originally posted by Zachriel

Interesting how he doesn't complain about razing cities, nukes, forced starvation, forced labor, wars of imperial domination, massive bombardment of cities, and despotic government...
Aren't all these actions taken by the Choosen Tribe in the old testament, with the support of God?

Old February 20, 2003, 17:19   #38
Chemical Ollie
King

OK, perhaps not nuking...
Old February 20, 2003, 18:14   #39
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 19:59
I just knew they'd love Grand Theft Auto.
Old February 20, 2003, 18:46   #40
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

In fact this site just makes me want to write a game so they can review it.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Title: "F*** God, The Bible, Al Menconi Ministries, Your Mothers, Children... oh and Hail Satan whilst yer at it"
Genre: MMOFPS (Massively Multiplayer Occult First Person Sacrilege)

Concept: You are an agent of Satan. Your task is to kill any religious agent, or person of faith. You gain occult power with each death, and become subsequently more powerful until the Dark Lord rules the Earth.

You can use a variety of methods of killing "innocent" targets such as weaponry (ranged and melee,) occult spells and special tools of destruction such as biological agents or nuclear devices.

All death effects are exquisitely rendered and you can play with (or drink) a victims blood afterwards. You can of course also rape or sodomize (in explicit sexual detail) any victim you choose to prior to their enevitable destruction.

There is a soul counter to tell you how many more targets there are to kill, maim and torture.

A scrolling ticker informs you of game events and or suggestions to perform real life crime and or mortal sins.

===

I wonder if it would rate a 0% at Al's...
Old February 20, 2003, 19:37   #41
wilbill
Warlord

The Daily Worker reviews Civ 3:

"And, of course, in the Industrial Era, the game encourages the player to switch to the so-called "Democratic" (meaning Kapitalist) form of government in order to maximize profits from the toil of the citizens. Communism in Civ 3 is a second-rate form of government in which production, growth, and economic development are all minimized. The only accuracy is the rampant corruption which springs up under a Democratic/Kapitalist regime, slowing that system's military/industrial drive toward world domination."
Old February 20, 2003, 19:40   #42
wilbill
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by TacticalGrace
from the same site, they had this to say about Tomb Raider:

"The lifelike cartoon character is extremely well built and scantily clad as she jumps around in a variety of positions that reveals her well-endowed body. When falling down or being hurt, Laura makes a plethora of sexy moans that someone listening in the next room could easily assume that sexual intercourse was taking place. There are popular sites on the Internet with codes to transform Tomb Raider into "Nude Raider" stripping Laura of what little clothes she had been wearing. This added "feature" has made Lara Croft a best selling game."
Well, I'm sold. Sure hope Best Buys isn't sold out. How'd I miss this when it was released?
Old February 20, 2003, 20:14   #43
Nightfall
Settler

Quote:
The critic brought up evolution: it's his issue.
You're right. I didn't notice the word "evolutionary" until I read it a second time. DOH

I'm not trying to start an argument either, I just can't let Christian bashing happen w/o at least a mild response (not that you were the one doing the bashing). Since I ignore the "rabidly" anti-Christian folks, I decided to respond more or less to your posts.

Quote:
Nightfall, my previous post wasn't meant to start an debate, and certainly not an argument. The gentleman's review set off my irony alarm, that's all.
Sorry, neither was I...I just liked that icon and had to find a way to use it Note the smileys in my post...

BTW, I love your GOTM summaries. I've read every one and look foward to each month's summary as much as the game itself. Thanks for the good work
Old February 20, 2003, 22:05   #44
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
I just knew they'd love Grand Theft Auto.

Exactly what I was thinking!
Old February 20, 2003, 22:17   #45
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Check out the Diablo II rating. Everybody loves Satan...
Old February 20, 2003, 22:47   #46
Phatphal
Chieftain

Ack...these narrow minded views make me sick

Just like them christian seminars at my high school who basically chanted " If you don't believe in god you are going to burn for eternity".
Old February 21, 2003, 08:27   #47
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I see they don't mind slavery either. Ah yes, that was allowed in the bible, wasn't it

Funny article though
Old February 21, 2003, 10:38   #48
nhnlodat
Settler

Now I will tell ya I am Christian but that has less to do with what I want to say then my personal beliefs. Why do you have to bash all Christians for the way this single (person) reviewed some games. To slam an entire faith for the belief off one person is wrong. I don’t have a problem with you saying he is to right wing for your tastes but when you come across like you are I think that’s wrong. I don’t wish to start some sort of flame war, but usually one of the reasons I like this board is because of the "intelligent" conversations that take place here. Not this blatant bashing and stereotyping of a group of people.

Again I am sorry if I offend anybody but this is my opinion.

NHNLODAT
Old February 21, 2003, 10:51   #49
ariano_paluda
Chieftain

Concerning the so called fundamentalists.....
The theory of evolution is just that...a theory...so personally I don't blame him for bearing a grudge against it....I don't agree with darwin either, but that doesn't at all keep me from playing the game...U see...the impact darwins theory had on world science is evident, therefore the GW's place in the game is correct...but that doesn't nessesarily make the theory right...u know?

I am a christian myself...but I also enjoy ruling the world hehe
Old February 21, 2003, 10:55   #50
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by nhnlodat
Now I will tell ya I am Christian but that has less to do with what I want to say then my personal beliefs. Why do you have to bash all Christians for the way this single (person) reviewed some games. To slam an entire faith for the belief off one person is wrong. I don’t have a problem with you saying he is to right wing for your tastes but when you come across like you are I think that’s wrong. I don’t wish to start some sort of flame war, but usually one of the reasons I like this board is because of the "intelligent" conversations that take place here. Not this blatant bashing and stereotyping of a group of people.

Again I am sorry if I offend anybody but this is my opinion.

NHNLODAT
you should go and look at the OT, this is reasoned restarined debate compared to there
Old February 21, 2003, 11:01   #51
badams52
King

Local Time: 11:59
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
In fact this site just makes me want to write a game so they can review it.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Title: "F*** God, The Bible, Al Menconi Ministries, Your Mothers, Children... oh and Hail Satan whilst yer at it"
Genre: MMOFPS (Massively Multiplayer Occult First Person Sacrilege)

Concept: You are an agent of Satan. Your task is to kill any religious agent, or person of faith. You gain occult power with each death, and become subsequently more powerful until the Dark Lord rules the Earth.

You can use a variety of methods of killing "innocent" targets such as weaponry (ranged and melee,) occult spells and special tools of destruction such as biological agents or nuclear devices.

All death effects are exquisitely rendered and you can play with (or drink) a victims blood afterwards. You can of course also rape or sodomize (in explicit sexual detail) any victim you choose to prior to their enevitable destruction.

There is a soul counter to tell you how many more targets there are to kill, maim and torture.

A scrolling ticker informs you of game events and or suggestions to perform real life crime and or mortal sins.

===

I wonder if it would rate a 0% at Al's...
Hmmm, Dungeon Keeper?
Old February 21, 2003, 11:10   #52
badams52
King

Local Time: 11:59
I have nothing against that site and I believe the same as I read earlier: they are providing a good service to those who think likewise. Having said that, my favorite is probably their review of Black and White.

Quote:
In Black and White, the strong occult/supernatural themes are sugar-coated by the fact that this game offers minimal violence, virtually no language, and no nudity/sexual content. However, it promotes the message that everyone can be a god, which rejects the truth of the one true God; this, in my eyes, is far worse than violence.

For its promotion of the idea that everyone can be a god with no repercussions for his actions, even for human sacrifices, Black and White gets a 30% (F-)
Old February 21, 2003, 11:16   #53
nhnlodat
Settler

Just because you think this is a restrained debate doesn’t change my opinion. Again not to insult anybody. I still think any debate were people resort to name calling is not a debate at all. I respect your opinion TheStinger but it still does not change mine.
Old February 21, 2003, 11:28   #54
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Just because you think this is a restrained debate doesn’t change my opinion. Again not to insult anybody. I still think any debate were people resort to name calling is not a debate at all. I respect your opinion TheStinger but it still does not change mine.
Wo there tiger, i wasn't having a go, just making a point.
You carry on
Old February 21, 2003, 11:33   #55
nhnlodat
Settler

I am not trying to sound like some gun-ho activists. I just wanted to make a point like you. I guess sometimes what you write does not come out in the tone or manner you are thinking it.

I sense your sarcasm.

Just mho

NHNLODAT
Old February 21, 2003, 11:37   #56
TheStinger
King

Quote:
I am not trying to sound like some gun-ho activists. I just wanted to make a point like you. I guess sometimes what you write does not come out in the tone or manner you are thinking it.

I sense your sarcasm.

Just mho

NHNLODAT
I agree, no name calling just put your points across.
Unless its Paiktis and then you should falme him stupid
Old February 21, 2003, 13:43   #57
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ariano_paluda
Concerning the so called fundamentalists.....
The theory of evolution is just that...a theory...so personally I don't blame him for bearing a grudge against it....I don't agree with darwin either, but that doesn't at all keep me from playing the game...U see...the impact darwins theory had on world science is evident, therefore the GW's place in the game is correct...but that doesn't nessesarily make the theory right...u know?

I am a christian myself...but I also enjoy ruling the world hehe
Obviously the theory of evolution has not been wholly proven, yet there is a plethora of scientific evidence to make us believe that it MIGHT be true. However, the religious (and for this I mean not only Christians) alternative that god created the world just like that *poof*, well, I find it a little harder to believe

(and trust me, I've had this evolutionary debate with my Christian friends more than once!)

Last edited by Master Zen; February 21, 2003 at 13:54.
Old February 21, 2003, 13:53   #58
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Theory: an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena.

Most people who say "it's only a theory" are using the colloquial version of the word, which is more similar to "conjecture" or "hypothesis" than the technical meaning of the word theory.

Thus, in a scientific sense, it is true. There really isn't any "might" about it. Of course, on a certain level, nothing is certain, but Creationism is not a scientific theory and evolution really has no competition as far as its specific sphere of explaination.
Old February 21, 2003, 14:07   #59
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclotron7
Theory: an organized system of accepted knowledge that applies in a variety of circumstances to explain a specific set of phenomena.

Most people who say "it's only a theory" are using the colloquial version of the word, which is more similar to "conjecture" or "hypothesis" than the technical meaning of the word theory.

Thus, in a scientific sense, it is true. There really isn't any "might" about it. Of course, on a certain level, nothing is certain, but Creationism is not a scientific theory and evolution really has no competition as far as its specific sphere of explaination.

Einstein once said that science brought us closer to God. Most Christians I know always quote this believing that ultimately science will bow down to the bible. I think Einstein's intent was that science would bring us closer to true knowledge, the REAL god.

Old February 21, 2003, 14:10   #60
TacticalGrace
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ariano_paluda
The theory of evolution is just that...a theory
The Theory of Gravity is "Only" a theory.