Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 21:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
What were you playing between Civ 2 and Civ 3, if you don't mind my asking?
I don't mind. And the answer is CivCTP and CTP2.
Old February 20, 2003, 13:11   #32
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:00
Cows. They rock. One of my best starting positions ever, resulting in what was probably my best game ever (v. 1.29, Emperor) had 5 plains cows on a river. FIVE!

The most I've ever seen was a much older Regent game (Iroquois... probably v. 1.06) with SEVEN grassland cows. I wasn't a very good player back then... oh, what I could do with that now!

Game is good too, moreso for industrious civs that can harvest the 10 shields in 5 turns. Solid tile, no doubt. I love a forest/game start as China... 1/2 price archers, baby!

Wheat on plains or grassland is ok, but not as nice as cows.

Wheat on FP is a monster food-producer, but I loathe floodplains. Absolutely hate 'em. Disease pisses me off.

Whales are nice, but I'm not going out of my way for them. CivII whales did indeed rule. I loved those. 2/2/2 right at the start, IIRC.

I know you aren't talking about luxuries, but there is one that belongs here: FURS. Why? Because they provide a bonus shield along with bonus commerce! Chop, get the 10 shields, and suffer no drop in production from the tile (if you're actually using a 1-food tile at that point). Then, depending on whether it's plains or grass underneath, mine or irrigate and get a 2-food, 2-shield tile. I love furs.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 20, 2003, 13:41   #33
Bluefrog
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:00
Furry things are cool, yesh.
Old February 21, 2003, 03:03   #34
aaglo
King

Local Time: 23:00
Shouldn't also those furs and horses produce atleast +1 extra food? They can be eaten also - well, not the furs, but the things that were originally wearing.

I've modded the AU version so...
Old February 21, 2003, 12:14   #35
badams52
King

Local Time: 12:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

I know you aren't talking about luxuries, but there is one that belongs here: FURS. Why? Because they provide a bonus shield along with bonus commerce! Chop, get the 10 shields, and suffer no drop in production from the tile (if you're actually using a 1-food tile at that point). Then, depending on whether it's plains or grass underneath, mine or irrigate and get a 2-food, 2-shield tile. I love furs.

-Arrian
I see the point to furs, but too often I see them on tundra or forested tundra where they do little good. But I'll keep that in mind when they're on grassland, but I usually don't chop forests until railroads. where the sheild you lose for chopping is returned when railroaded.
Old February 21, 2003, 13:04   #36
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 14:00
The same thing about tundra and forested tundra is true for game... game is great on grass forests, and good for a tundra city, just like furs.

I agree with the aaglo on gold. Gold on hills is a great way to get a high commerce city. Working a few gems tiles once their mined and you have the food to support it is always nice too.

The production bonuses of strat. resources is sometimes great, too. My first high production city is usually the one I put down to get iron with.