Old February 20, 2003, 00:49   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 20:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Flood plains. Taboo to found cities on them?
Is it ok or really bad to found cities on flood plains? What about at the start of a game founding your capital on a flood plain? OK? or too risky?

What if your choice is desert with no river or flood plain by river for growth benifit. I know disease could strike.
Old February 20, 2003, 01:49   #2
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:01
All terrain give the same stats for a founded city, no matter if its desert/grassland/hill/tundra etc: 2 food / 1 shield / 1 trade.

I have never seen disease strike a size 1 city, if that's what you're scared about...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 20, 2003, 05:24   #3
theNiceOne
Warlord

Local Time: 21:01
I do it all the time if I start there.
Pros:
You build adjacent to a river, which is a huge bonus.
You gain one shield from a tile that otherwise can never produce shields.

Cons:
You waste a lot of food since it now only gives two food.

If there are less useful tiles adjacent to the river, I'll select those (grassland, tundra), but flood plain tiles often come packed many together, so the city will normally get more food than needed anyway.

The disiease strikes if your citizens work on flood plain tiles, the city tile does not matter (IIRC), so there's little reason to build adjacent to the flood plain and work on it with a citizen to avoid the disease.
Old February 20, 2003, 06:01   #4
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I will move to an adjacent desert tile or hill if I can but it depends on the surrounding terrain. I don't worry if this means I will have to build an aqueduct.

The key factor is whether the tiles within the city radius are food rich (floodplain/grassland) or resource rich (hills/mountains). If resource rich I would move off the floodplain to get food from it later, if food rich I would stay on the floodplain rather than move to a resource tile.
Old February 20, 2003, 06:20   #5
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 22:01
I agree. It very much depends on the surrounding terrain. If there is desert around (which is often tha case) I will try to settle on the desert, but otherwise the river bonus will often make me to settle on the flood plain.
Old February 20, 2003, 09:48   #6
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 12:01
I once had 4 random starts in row on flood plains. Each time disease struck the turn before my settler was completed. I prefer to roll the dice and drop the city on the flood plain. I'd rather lose the food than the shields.
Old February 20, 2003, 12:37   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:01
Considering that the surronding terraign a flood plains are often near is desert, combined with the fresh water access that all cities next to a river edge enjoy often shifts my city building patern onto the Flood Plains.

My top pririoty is placement of cities is to have fresh water access.

Second highest is to avoid being seperated by water by one tile.

I usually don't plan on making settlers from flood plains city's. Instead I build normal improves and race to pop-rush to compete them once the city grows before the disease strikes. Then if the city has plains in its CR, I initally irrigate the Plains to move as many workers away from the Flood Plains tiles and onto Plains tiles, trading food for shields.
Old February 21, 2003, 15:02   #8
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane
I agree. It very much depends on the surrounding terrain. If there is desert around (which is often tha case) I will try to settle on the desert...
I used to follow the same logic, until I realised that a Desert tile can never be adjacent to a River. Thus you do not get the no-Aqueduct benefit. Given that your city will grow pretty fast anyway (Flood Plains = Food, duh), this is quite the disadvantage.

Dominae
Old February 22, 2003, 11:03   #9
Chemical Ollie
King

I regularly build cities on flood plains, at least if there are more than one in the area. There are often other priorities.
Old February 22, 2003, 11:38   #10
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Avoid flood plains unless you don't have better terrain tiles around
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old February 22, 2003, 12:38   #11
badman
Warlord

Flood Plains are great and I do build cities on them because they can grow to size 12 quickly.
If there are some hills or mountain tiles around, the city is perfect.
Old February 23, 2003, 16:17   #12
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
My top pririoty is placement of cities is to have fresh water access.
Don't you think a coastal city, with its potential for deriving more food/shields/commerce from the salt-water tiles, has an advantage over an inland city, even if the latter has access to fresh water?

Of course, the best would be a city with both fresh and salt water access.
Old February 23, 2003, 22:44   #13
Qilue
King

Local Time: 06:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I like cities on flood plains, but for reasons totally devoid of strategy.

In the city view, cities on flood plains look picturesque as opposed to ones on plains which look butt ugly. Cites on desert look ok, but the lack of a river is a major negative.

Now if only you could build on mountains and the city view looked kind of like Maccu Piccu (sp?) or somewhere like that.
Old March 22, 2003, 09:03   #14
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Qilue
Now if only you could build on mountains and the city view looked kind of like Maccu Piccu (sp?) or somewhere like that.
It's a pity you can't do it in civ3 (as compared to civ2).

As you mention correctly, people actually founded cities on mountains (small cities, nevertheless).

By not being able to anymore, you waste land but more importantly an extra (and nice) strategic factor: damn hard to conquer those mountained cities ...

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old March 22, 2003, 14:55   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Tell me about it... I still look longingly at strategically placed mountains as potential city sites.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 22, 2003, 18:09   #16
VJ
King

Near the river, on flood plains
Old March 22, 2003, 18:43   #17
VJ
King

[{quote]you waste land but more importantly an extra (and nice) strategic factor: damn hard to conquer those mountained cities ...
[/quote]
I disagree, that was Not Nice.
It allowed you to 'cheat' the stupid AI, thus you could lose with armor to phalanx...
Old March 22, 2003, 20:21   #18
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Tell me about it... I still look longingly at strategically placed mountains as potential city sites.
So, go into the editor and enable cities in mountains!
Personally, I have disabled cities on tundra (and disabled forest planting on tundra) to give potential for more colonies. Of course, this way there is potential for a resource to be on a tundra-only island so access is impossible.
Old March 23, 2003, 02:14   #19
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
You can do that??!!

Aaaarghhh... I am sort of committed to playing either stock or the AU Mod.

(Although I like your idea to encourage colonies)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old March 23, 2003, 03:21   #20
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:01
Theseus, the only advantages to playing stock is that you get your scores into the Hall of Fame and being able to have a closer comparison to what other people play (IF they are playing stock).

Actually, when you are playing stock you are being cruel to:
The barbarians (with those combat advantages everyone gets against them)
Yourself, if you ever get into the modern era, being unable to effectively do offensive fighter sweeps, by not increasing fighter defense strengths.

Also (as you may have read in PTW > Volcanos, Tornados and Airships ), I am researching the concept of making ALL resources being able to disappear/move. I really like the idea of market conditions changing (lux moves on you), gold mines run out, and climate changes so that food abundance is also dynamic.
Old March 27, 2003, 16:59   #21
Brizey
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
All terrain give the same stats for a founded city, no matter if its desert/grassland/hill/tundra etc: 2 food / 1 shield / 1 trade.
I have a question. This is true in the beginning. But later on in the game I believe I have noticed differences in the stats of the city square. I will try to dig up an example. Does anyone know the rules for this?

Old March 27, 2003, 22:29   #22
badams52
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Brizey
I have a question. This is true in the beginning. But later on in the game I believe I have noticed differences in the stats of the city square. I will try to dig up an example. Does anyone know the rules for this?

DaveMcW (He's doing lot's of research lately I noticed) found a formula.

Taking Dave's formula and making a chart (based on shield values according to Prima's Official(ly bad) Strategy Guide which may be wrong) it becomes:

pop size <=6

1 shield - everything except built on coal, iron, aluminum & furs on plains
2 shields iron, furs on plain.
3 shields coal, aluminum, uranium

pop size >=7 and <=12

1 shield - tundra, non shield grassland, flood plain
2 shields - shield grassland, desert, hills, plains
+ 1 for cattle, furs, iron and oil
+ 2 for aluminum, coal, and uranium
vanilla civ adds +1 for industrial civs

pop size >=13

2 shields - tundra, non shield grassland, flood plain
3 shields - shield grassland, desert, hills, plains
+ 1 for cattle, furs, iron and oil
+ 2 for aluminum, coal, and uranium
vanilla civ adds +2 for industrial civs
PTW adds +1 for insudtrial civ

For an industrial civ the best is 6 shields in PTW, 7 shields in vanilla civ
For a non industrial civ the best is 5 shields.

As a side note, if you build your city on a hill, you are sacrificing at least 1 shield that you would get if you were mining it (and railroaded when it comes around).
Old March 28, 2003, 19:51   #23
MPatton
Chieftain

I built a city with a massive flood plain it gave me a massive city of like 60 but low shield output. There were some desert mixed in.
Old March 29, 2003, 00:22   #24
badams52
King

Size 60 eh? I've always wanted to make a very large city.
Old March 29, 2003, 18:02   #25
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

So, go into the editor and enable cities in mountains!
Personally, I have disabled cities on tundra (and disabled forest planting on tundra) to give potential for more colonies. Of course, this way there is potential for a resource to be on a tundra-only island so access is impossible.
Perhaps an idea for the next version of the AU mod? After all, there are mountain cities in both Peru and Tibet. Not big, but cities anyway.
Old April 4, 2003, 16:19   #26
Ephesos
MacNever Ending Stories
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:01
Actually, just a suggestion for the scenario designers reading this, enabling cities on mountains would be perfect for a China/S. America scenario (Himalayas, Incas, etc.).
Old April 5, 2003, 06:25   #27
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

IIRC, floodplains do give extra disease for a city founded on them, which is the prime reason I avoid building there, certainly my capital. Other cities are okay, most of the times the surrounding fps can make up the loss in pop (always twice in a row! Disease doesn't happen much, but if it does, ouch )

For all cities except my capital, my rule is that if my empire isn't starving and fps are limited, I build on the river if possible. Otherwise, food takes preference over the cost of an aquaduct, and I build away from the fps... note that almost always, some of the tiles close by are desert, which are ideal places to start cities as you don't lose food or shields.

DeepO