Old February 22, 2003, 03:09   #31
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
I would put several hundred pounds of TNT in the Moon's core so that it will collide into the Earth, knocking it into the Sun.
Actually the earth is a very resilient body and it survived the last big impact like that. The earth was originially formed 4.66 billion years ago (BYA) and some where between 4.4 to 4.3 BYA a Mars sized object colided with the earth causing the planet to remelt and forming the moon out of the debre field. This event also caused the earth to have a slight off axis tilt which is why we have seasons now.

We know the Earth had already solidified because the moon has the exact same composition as the earth's crust and is missing the heavier elements which are found in the earth mantel and core. We know the Earth remelted because the material from the Mars sized body "Mixed" with the existing Earth material and the only way you can do that is for the whole planet to melt. Lastly if you factor in the most likely angles the planetoid body would have come at the Earth (basically that would be either the plane the planets rotate in or a few degrees off) then you can figure out about how massive the body had to be to produce the level of tilt we see in the Earth.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 22, 2003, 04:23   #32
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 05:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Slightly off-topic, it would be interesting to see the effects of detonating a big nuke at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, I guess it should create a BIG fountain
Old February 22, 2003, 07:16   #33
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 15:08
The only you'll find at the bottom of a subduction trench is sediments and water, and compacted sediments and water.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 22, 2003, 07:19   #34
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Now, what level of technology am I allowed for the project?

I mean, I could always hurl neutron stars accelerated to near c at it, and that would do the job pretty cleanly, but it hardly seems sporting...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 22, 2003, 07:21   #35
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 20:08
Oerdin, Mars sized object? It just blew through the solar system, hammered the earth, and kept on rolling?

Will the tilt of the earth ever flatten out, and end seasons? I guess it must have wobbled for a while, yes? If so, that flattened out...
Old February 22, 2003, 07:24   #36
The Mad Monk
Emperor

The "Mars Sized Object" theory is the current favorite, but it didn't keep it rolling (according to theory) -- it was destroyed and ingested by the Earth and (forming) Moon.
Old February 22, 2003, 07:30   #37
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 21:08
Precision is always better than brute force. Spend some time studying the sun´s magnetosphere very closely, building up a comprehensive model of its actions and storing it in a supercomputer. Then send some neuton bombs to detonate at the right place and time, so as to create an enormous solar flare that enguls the planet and knocks it out of orbit. This would probably be feasable with current technology, and would probably only cost tens of billions of dollars, even if it would take 10 to 20 years to set up.
Old February 22, 2003, 07:39   #38
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:08
How would a solar flare knock Earth out of orbit?
Old February 22, 2003, 07:52   #39
Richard Bruns
King

Solar flares involve a lot of magnetic force, and if you got one big enough it could interact with the earth´s magnetic field and give enough boost to disrupt the orbit. It may take a few million years, but there certainly wouldn´t be anyone left alive to keep track of the time.
Old February 22, 2003, 07:56   #40
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Re: How would you go about destroying the Earth?
Quote:
Originally posted by loinburger
So? How would you do it?
Simple. By doing nothing.
Old February 22, 2003, 08:22   #41
cia
Prince

Mechanical Resonance.
Look it up under Tesla.
Crack this baby in under a month.
Old February 22, 2003, 08:32   #42
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

By doing nothing the world will eventually be destroyed according to current scientific understanding. However, that takes the "you" out of the premise.
Old February 22, 2003, 09:19   #43
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
The two hunks of (anti)matter orbited around each other a few times, and eventually met at the center of the Earth
That can't happen. Once the anti-matter smacks at the crust it will produce an annihilation. The neutron star matter will blow a big hole on the crust like a big arse meteoroid
Old February 22, 2003, 09:28   #44
Ribannah
Queen

Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
By doing nothing the world will eventually be destroyed according to current scientific understanding. However, that takes the "you" out of the premise.
It will happen a lot faster than that if I do nothing.
Old February 22, 2003, 09:35   #45
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
That can't happen. Once the anti-matter smacks at the crust it will produce an annihilation. The neutron star matter will blow a big hole on the crust like a big arse meteoroid
The idea in the book was that the anti-matter began to ablate as soon as it hit the atmosphere, but that the stuff was so heavy and dense that not even rolling around inside of the Earth for awhile could significantly decrease its size -- it would never find a similar mass of matter until it found its neutronium counterpart.
Old February 22, 2003, 09:40   #46
Az
Emperor

Now, all you have to do is to get a neutron star into the solar system.
Old February 22, 2003, 09:51   #47
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, if you're using an entire neutron star for the job, then you might as well just send the neutron star into the Sun. If the Sun doesn't just explode outright then at the very least it'll start sucking in all of the planets in the solar system, what with its quadrupled (or whatever) gravitational pull...
Old February 22, 2003, 09:57   #48
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
The idea in the book was that the anti-matter began to ablate as soon as it hit the atmosphere, but that the stuff was so heavy and dense that not even rolling around inside of the Earth for awhile could significantly decrease its size -- it would never find a similar mass of matter until it found its neutronium counterpart.
There are actually a whole lot of problems:

1. Yes, it is very dense, a cubic centimetre is like 3 billion metric tons. It will have an inertia that is unimaginable. Try applying a force on it with apparatus made from normal matter is like trying to push an object with a shadow.

2. A neutron star is like 5 solar masses. If you get too close, the tidal force rips you and the ship apart.

3. Have 1 cc of this stuff on your ship near a neutron star, even at 1g, there's a force of 29400 billion newtons acting on a 1cm2 area. I imagine it falls right down.

Use your imagination for the rest.
Old February 22, 2003, 11:41   #49
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 14:08
I think anti-matter is stil the best way..if you can get a neutron start moving, my guess is you could figure out a way to dig to the core of the earth, and send down a huge device filled with anti-matter being kept from doing anyting with a magnetic field. Once at the core, or near the core, turn the magnetic field off, and BOOM.

And why go simply for a neutron start? Get a Red giant ont he move for that matter: a whole lot prettier to look at.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 22, 2003, 11:50   #50
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'd just keep doing what we're already doing.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 22, 2003, 12:17   #51
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Stardate 5296.38.3

Imperial Class Star Destroyer Rage and Interdictor Cruiser Compeller under the command of Admiral Senn, arrived at the star system known to the Galactic Empire as "Median" but known to the primitive indigenous inhabitants as "Sol". Radio waves and transmissions were detected from the third planet out from the center, and it was hoped that the Empire might find a useful outpost here.

Preliminary contact was made but after fifty diurnal cycles of observation it was deduced that the ocean planet (which called itself "Earth") was devoid of redeeming features and too backward to be of any use.

The Median system, however, provided a rare testbed for the Antineutronium Bomb. Admiral Senn sought and received approval from the Imperial Ubiqtorate and authorized the deployment of the Antineutronium Bomb.

Shielded from the immense heat by a static field, the bomb was inserted into the core of the star whereupon it was activated remotely. The resultant fast-breeder reaction of quarks, charms, and antihydrogen pushed the star almost instantaneously into supernova status, consuming the nearest four planets in a matter of six diurnal cycles.

Emperor Palpatine has sent his personal congratulations to Admiral Senn for the successful prototyping of the Antineutronium Bomb and has pushed for increased production of this rare and valuable weapon. The design schematics have been entrusted to an R&D station located in the Maw, under the authority of one "Admiral Daala".
Old February 22, 2003, 12:24   #52
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Ooooo, that's good. Love the writing.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 22, 2003, 14:41   #53
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
How would you go about destroying the Earth?
Put the French in Charge
Old February 22, 2003, 14:50   #54
OliverFA
PtWDG RoleplaySpanish CiversInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesCiv4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:08
Easy... let greens and environmentalists apply all their policies. If they don't destroy Earth I guarantee you that at least they will destroy all human life on Earth, which is a good aproximation
Old February 22, 2003, 15:04   #55
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 14:08
simple

I just ahve to stop beleiving that the Earth exists

Jon Miller
Old February 22, 2003, 15:07   #56
loinburger
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
I just ahve to stop beleiving that the Earth exists
DON'T YOU DARE! If you believe me out of existence, then I'm going to be so pissed off...
Old February 22, 2003, 15:09   #57
Az
Emperor

It's all in your head, anyway.
Old February 22, 2003, 15:16   #58
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Oerdin, Mars sized object? It just blew through the solar system, hammered the earth, and kept on rolling?

Will the tilt of the earth ever flatten out, and end seasons? I guess it must have wobbled for a while, yes? If so, that flattened out...
The solar system formed approxamitely 4.66 BYA ago; we get this date by doing radio isotope dating on rocky asteroids which have fallen to earth. Now there was alot of astroids, space debre, and planetoids flotting around out there at this time so the planets were still accreating.

Several Astrophysicists have spent alot of time figuring out where the stable plantary orbits are in out solar system and theorizing the process in which the solar systems accreationary disk would go through as it collapsed down into the sun and planets. Surprise, suprise, around 50% of the mater would have been located in unstable orbits which would have eventually crashed into one of the other planetoid or been ejected from the solar system. The Mars sized body was one of those left over planetoids which was located in an unstable orbit, bu, fortunately for us most of this unstable space junk has been gotten rid of during the last 4 billion years so we are more or less safe now.

BTW The mars size object would have also melted during the force of impact. Part of it would have been vaporized, part of it would have been reejected into space and much of it would have been added to the earth's own mass. Much of the near earth debri field eventually collapsed down to form the moon but for a couple of hundred million years the early Earth would have actually had multiple moons.

Lastly, the tilt will never flatten out. Objects in motion stay in motion unless altered by another force and all that.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 22, 2003, 16:36   #59
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

There's that theory that the Earth's core has an abundance of heavy elements. Causing a substantial atomic fission reaction down there may be plausible.

Causing the moon's orbit to fail might be another good way.

Hell! Its all good when it comes to blowing this piece of s*** planet up.
Old February 22, 2003, 16:47   #60
Lancer
Deity

Thanks for the reply Oerdin. So the spin of the other planets is on a plane w/ the solar system? Would they never have been tilted by other bodies?

I was thinking that the force that gets all planets' spin into the plane of the solar system might be magnetism. Any chance that the sun's magnetic field might be the force which alters the 'object in motion' to bring them into line?

Also, will the earth ever flip flop because the spin wobbles or is that just bad sci fi?