Old April 10, 2001, 03:48   #1
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Of missiles and resonance
I was designing units in the workshop the other day, when I noticed that R-laser cost more than missiles. Oh sure, missiles are silent, and R-laser gives +25% bonus on PSI attacks, but if my goal was to eliminate, say Marr for instance (never seen him with a mind-worm) why should I use R-laser?

What I'm saying here is that why should I spend more building an squadron of R-laser noodles when I could build an entire air-force of missile penetrators for the same price?

Is the extra cost worth it?
Old April 10, 2001, 04:15   #2
Skanderbeg
Warlord

Local Time: 05:11
It depends on whom You fight against.

If it is a non-green-faction like Marr or Miriam, the normal missiles would be all You need.

But if You fight against a green faction, like Deirdre, Cha Dawn, the Caretakers or someone else who has the Manifold Nexus, You can count on the there will be some mindworms in his army. In this case, and in the case You get worm attacks because of ecodamage, it is good to have at least some 6r-units,added with empath special ability(this is valid not only for needlejets) mixed in Your force.

And for my personal opinion, missile is the ugliest weapon of all. 6r-laser looks (and sounds) much cooler. For this reason alone I change productin to 6r-laser as soon as possible (although it may be not very clever).
Old April 10, 2001, 06:04   #3
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

economically speaking, the missiles are much more cost effective. as for the sounds, well I usually play the game while winamp is turned on, so it's no problem.

it's only a cosmetic blem
Old April 10, 2001, 14:44   #4
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
This unit is a worm killer:

6re(resonance, empath)-1-8(helicopter)
Old April 10, 2001, 15:47   #5
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Cybergod on 04-10-2001 02:44 PM
This unit is a worm killer:

6re(resonance, empath)-1-8(helicopter)

Thank you so much for the tip! I've never used the empath special ability before, and indeed this one really kills worms quick. heheh! I look forward to massive eco damage
Old April 11, 2001, 11:09   #6
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 00:11
Yeah, try this, play as Morgan, build a fleet of Worm killer choppers, build boreholes all over the place and run free market. In one game, I was getting seeing so many stacks of demon boils that I was pulling in a grand total of 12000 credits per turn. My research was something like 5 techs per turn. Pretty fun stuff!
Old April 12, 2001, 02:28   #7
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:11
Remember to keep lots of Empath R-Laser Rovers/Hovertanks lying around too, a chopper can only kill one worm per attack, while ground forces destroy entire stacks. Use the chopper to kill all the single worm's, then finish off the big stack with an empath rover. Magtubes rule for moving empath rovers around to hotspots, and repair monoliths. To kill Locusts soften them up with a SAM Battery (ship or artillary) then finish them off with the chopper.
Old April 12, 2001, 02:29   #8
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Kinjiru on 04-11-2001 11:09 AM
Yeah, try this, play as Morgan, build a fleet of Worm killer choppers, build boreholes all over the place and run free market. In one game, I was getting seeing so many stacks of demon boils that I was pulling in a grand total of 12000 credits per turn. My research was something like 5 techs per turn. Pretty fun stuff!

oooh!! i've got to try that!!

i never realised how efective empath song can be against these things. here's some thing you can use the old foils after doc initiative: Sealurk Hunter (6r-3rt-4,Empath, Trance). Expensive, but hard to kill with PSI attacks, and very good at psi attacks. Used this baby to rake in cash (i was strapped for cash, the war with those aliens were dragging my econ down.

Old April 12, 2001, 02:42   #9
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

and that gives me another idea (1-1-1, empath) or (1-1t-1,empath trance).

play in the fungus until you become commando or better yet, elite, then upgrade. the xtra cash you get from killing all those worms should pay for the upgrade. has anyone ever tried this?