Old February 22, 2003, 01:19   #1
Villain
Settler

Local Time: 20:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The AI forgives ANYTHING after 20 turns?
Is this true?

I tried searching the forums for the answer to this question, but unfortunately '20' is too short a search term, and all other term combos I tried ended up with a billion results.

Anyways, I simply want to know if I can be a huge dink to the AI by waltzing in and taking cities, capturing works, etc. w/o declaring war... and then be forgiven after 20 turns by the other civs (or maybe not forgiven, but have my acts forgotten).

I seem to remember this being the magic number, but I'm not sure if it applies to everything negative that I might do.
Old February 22, 2003, 02:25   #2
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 16:09
Re: The AI forgives ANYTHING after 20 turns?
Quote:
Originally posted by Villain
Is this true?
It definitely is NOT true. The behavior you describe (ROP rape) is pretty much never forgiven.
Old February 22, 2003, 05:27   #3
Bamspeedy
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:09
Attitude hits can vary anywhere from:
1. border infractions ("leave my territory") which only lasts for a turn, to
2. Some things like casualties the AI took during the war which can be recovered anywhere from 1-20 turns after signing peace, and
3. ROP, MPP, and trading resources that only apply while the deals are going on and other situational things like being in the same government as the AI, to
4. the permanent (lasts the whole game) attitude penalties of broken treaties, razing cities, etc.

AI attitude
Old February 22, 2003, 12:51   #4
Villain
Settler

Great.. thanks for the replies. That link is a gold mine.

However, I still have one small question that I didn't see the answer to:

The "ROP rape" behaviour is not forgiven, which was my main query. BUT, is it only not forgiven by civs that I have made contact with, or that my contacted civs have made contact with?

IOW, will the French, who are on a different continent and have not contacted me yet, KNOW what I've done when I eventually do make contact?

Hmm.. what if I pull off this "ROP rape" on all the civs on my continent without them or I having yet left our continent and 'telling on me'?
Old February 22, 2003, 13:32   #5
Villain
Settler

Ooops, nevermind.
The answer was all the way on the 2nd page of that thread.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bamspeedy
MSGT John Drew- Joan would only give you the penalty if she meets the Aztecs, or meets someone who has met (or had known of the Aztecs). If you kill the Aztecs before he meets anyone else, you get no attitude or reputation hits. If another civ, let's say Germany has met the Aztecs before you destroy the Aztecs, then blabber-mouth Bismark would be more than happy to tell Joan about all the nasty deeds you did to the Aztecs.

I'm sure others have witnessed this, because other people have reported that selling contact caused a drop in attitude. This was because of one civ telling the other civ about your bad reputation.
Old February 24, 2003, 17:16   #6
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 22:09
The AI will eventually hate you no matter how nice you are to them. Just be an a-hole. They deserve it!
Old February 24, 2003, 21:17   #7
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 17:09
The AI always hates me. I feel sad. Even being the most powerful man in my civ world, happiness doesn't come if I don't have any friends. Bribing seems to make them like me, but I know their caring is false, it's just for the gold.

I'm gonna be called sexist, but it is an interesting thing: treating the AI sometimes feels like treating a woman. Give gold, much gold, give good things to make her happy, and, if you can, fight her fights! And of course, don't forget the oil for her (futurely broke) car.
Old February 25, 2003, 08:42   #8
theNiceOne
Warlord

Local Time: 21:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Villain
Great.. thanks for the replies. That link is a gold mine.

However, I still have one small question that I didn't see the answer to:

The "ROP rape" behaviour is not forgiven, which was my main query. BUT, is it only not forgiven by civs that I have made contact with, or that my contacted civs have made contact with?

IOW, will the French, who are on a different continent and have not contacted me yet, KNOW what I've done when I eventually do make contact?

Hmm.. what if I pull off this "ROP rape" on all the civs on my continent without them or I having yet left our continent and 'telling on me'?
It is the civ you ROP rape that will "tell the others", so the only way to ROP rape a civ and get away with it is by eliminating that civ and all other civs it had contact with before they get contact with the rest of the world.

The civ will tell about your deeds if they get contact with other civs later. If you get contact with a few new civs and sell them the contact to the civ you betrayed, you will see an instant drop in the new civs' attitude towards you.