Old February 23, 2001, 21:11   #1
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 00:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
An odyssey

*advisory*: ramblings

A friend of mine just flipped. He was getting married and I suspect that had something to do with it.
He called me and said (quote): I'll throw all the games I have in the trash can. I'll only keep the software that "has a practical use". I can not waste any more time on this.

Of course I thought this was just pre-marital anxiety which can manifest in bizzar forms. Anyway he continued saying: "After some consideration I've decided not to throw the games in the trash can. I'll give them to my friend instead".

And he asks me which one I'd like. Besides civ, I only know a couple of other games. So when he tells me about Tomb Raider IV my mind goes to that lucozade advertisment and that was actually the only game I recognized..!

I told him to keep his games by the way, but his mind was made up.

So I got Lara Croft and played with her. I only have to say this: what a godamn stupid, unsatisfying, aggravating, nerve breaking, repetitive, boring game.
If you miss a ladder that is hidden amonst a huge square mile territory you simply cannot advance. And most of the challenges are limited to "know when to jump in the exact split second".

Lara has a nice ass but so does my girlfriend (you sexist pig!) but the game has to have something besides that to keep your eyes glued on the screen.
What a damn aggravating game. I returned it to my friend. I think he threw it in the garbage.

The obvious question: what the hell has all this to do with civ?

Well, I though a real time, immideate danger game would be immersive AT LEAST for a small time period in comparison to civ. Graphics are worthless if the game concept and the immersivness is lacking. I'd play civ iii even if it was all with ascii characters...
Old February 24, 2001, 10:52   #2
Craftsman
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Very funny post, paiktis22.

Another game that I like a lot is Quake I (if you donīt know it, itīs a first person shooter). Of course, itīs way more fun to play Quake I over the internet.

But, in fact, no other game glues me in front my screen more than civ2.

Old February 24, 2001, 22:42   #3
Masis
Warlord

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Absolutely right---graphics is the last thing to think about in a game-the most important thing is its design-its trickyness-in a scenario having the ability to play other sides and enjoy the experiance of pulling all the strings you have to keep your civilisation alive and kicking.
Yes, a lot of other games are blatantly repetitive, yes Civ is the same too, but you have the ability to change that easily with scenario designing and multiplayer.
As long as the basic concept of geo-political Strategy is retained in the Civ series-it will always be a winner.

"...His head mashed in and his Eyes gouged out, His Liver removed and his Bowels plucked out and his p-"
Sir Robin's minstrel singing a rousing ballad to him-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Thats enough singing for the moment"
Sir Robin finding the song more dampening than rousing-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

------------------
MRP