Just buy a PC

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old April 8, 2003, 20:11   #302
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 15:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Looks good, Wabbit. The turns I mean, not the save.

Hydey... is next.

Play list updated:

1. obiwan18
2. SG(2)
3. Jrabbit (switched with Hydey)
6. STYOM
4. Hydey (switched with Jrabbit)
5. SCG
7. SG[1]
8. Bloody Monk
9. La Fayette

Play 8 turns, pls.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Last edited by Six Thousand Year Old Man; April 18, 2003 at 15:01.
Old April 9, 2003, 07:44   #303
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Hydey should be able to finish the tech tree (and possibly launch) within 8 turns. We can then use the in-flight years to either maximize our score or wipe out the remaining civs.

There might be time to do both...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old April 9, 2003, 18:21   #304
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I won't be able to play until after the weekend (cricket trip away) , if SCG wants to have the fun before that then he is most welcome to.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old April 9, 2003, 18:41   #305
King

SCG, there's a 4 day window of opportunity... please post if you want to jump in.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old April 9, 2003, 21:49   #306
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

not sure whether i'd be able to or not - probably wouldn't be able to finish before saturday at this rate (which would be sunday afternoon for Hydey). Will see as weekend gets closer as i don't have time today to play anything
Old April 14, 2003, 05:37   #307
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

doesn't look like i'm going to get much of an opportunity to play this, so if Hydey gets done earlier in the week, maybe STYOM can jump in?
Old April 14, 2003, 08:38   #308
King

OK. Hydey is next, and if SCG still can't go, I'll move up.

Old April 16, 2003, 08:05   #309
King

If neither Hydey nor SCG post indicating that they will play, then I will play on Friday.

Old April 16, 2003, 09:02   #310
SCG
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
If neither Hydey nor SCG post indicating that they will play, then I will play on Friday.
friday would be the earliest i likely could play, so feel free to step in front of me
Old April 18, 2003, 09:34   #311
King

In the interests of moving the game along, I have d/l'ed Jrabbit's 1790 save and will play today

After all it's been over a week, and our technophobe subjects cry out for a rocket!

Old April 18, 2003, 14:57   #312
King

Trade, trade, and more trade, yet again
STYOM regains the Consulship of a sprawling, thriving and aggressive (but in a nice way; we're still Spotless ) nation.

We have ships and Freight all over the place (31 Freight active, 41 building). A few of the foreign lands have been reduced to zoos - they pose no threat in the space race to come. Still, one priority will be to safeguard our tech lead. Another will be to attain the 5 techs needed to build the ship - or 7 techs to build it and send it with Fusion engines. Finally, if we have the units and spies positioned, why not grab a couple of cities from the Germans and Spanish, and cut the Celts further down to size ?

1790: Moves transport out to sea, presses enter...

Germans form Republic.

1792: Nuclear Power discovered; researching Space Flight.
3 units disbanded from Canali due to lack of shield support Reallocates workers so that we have a shield surplus.

Much rushing of 'white goods' Started a couple of airports to faciliate trade from remote islands.

Konigsberg purchased for 960 g. German negotiators told to go away. Nuremberg captured. Cork subverted for 960 g. Captain's Feast founded.

Copper>Kells, 102 g, Dye>Kells 99 g, Silver>Cardiff 74g. Slow week for trade.

1794: Beads>Cardiff 378g, Hides>Cardiff 131 g, Dye>Kells 102 g, Hides>Cardiff 31 g, Oil>Cardiff 48 g, Coal>Caernarfon 167g.

Valladolid purchased for 264 g. Berlin captured. A few Freights are rushed.

1796: Dye>Kells 72 g, Spice>Heidelburg, 7 g , Oil>Arkwright 114 g, Copper>Caernarfon 147 g, Wine>Caernarfon 50 g, Wine>Cardiff 84 g, Cloth>Cardiff 155 g, Dye>Kells 764 g.

Zulus steal Machine Tools. Persians sneak attack a returning Transport, killing it.

1798: SETI Program
Space Flight discovered, researching Plastics.

Copper>Kells, 358 g, Silk>Kells 340 g, Hides>Cardiff 138 g, Beads>Cardiff 328 g, Silver>Cardiff 304 g, Oil>Arkwright 539 g , Salt>Cardiff 135g, Gems>Caernarfon 180 g.

Saragossa captured.

1800: Plastics discovered, researching The Laser.

Wine>Lion 100g, Coal>Arkwright 82 g, Oil>Arkwright 377 g, Uranium>Arkwright 207 g, Uranium>Arkwright 239 g, Dye>Kells 318g, Silver>Cardiff 820 g, Gems>Caernarfon 484 g, Salt>Cardiff 192 g.

Sioux and Germans each steal Plastics - we declare war on Sioux as a result.

1802: The Laser discovered, researching Robotics (Superconductor not available).

Gems>Cardiff, 67 g, Hides>Cardiff, 159 g, Oil>Arkwright 632 g, Wine>Watt 37 g, Wine>Watt 124 g, Silk>Kells 476 g, Dye>Kells 804 g, Gems>Cardiff 127 g, Wine>Cardiff 84 g, Beads>Cardiff 159 g.

Persians are now a Republic.

1804: Apollo Program
Robotics discovered, researching Superconductor.

Oil>Crompton 492 g, Wine>Lion 170 g, Gold>Cardiff 46 g, Salt>Cardiff 170 g, Hides>Caernarfon 87 g, Dye>Kells 150 g, Dye>Kells 168 g, Dye>Kells 323 g, Gems>Cardiff 364 g, Gold>Cardiff 326 g, Gold>Cardiff 386 g, Gold>Cardiff 138 g, Cloth>Cardiff 140 g.

We agree to peace with the Celts. We were at war?

Sioux steal Space Flight. Persians steal Plastics.

1806: Superconductor discovered; researching Fusion Power.
Construction of S.S.S STYOM begins

War renewed with Celts.

Wool>Armagh 51 g. Bored with trading, we capture Frankfurt

Wool>Cardiff 204 g, Hides>Cardiff 164 g, Wine>Cardiff 260 g, Gems>Cardiff 322 g, Gems>Cardiff 312 g, Oil>Cardiff 62 g.

So much more could have been done, but wasn't. It took me a couple of turns to get my rushbuying of Freights down, but it happened eventually. Airports are scattered around, allowing us to airlift Freight from the old Spanish and Persian lands to our home island. A few more Freight deliveries next turn should get us Fusion by 1810.

We have tons of cash in the bank. Nobody's really in a position to threaten us. There's a lot of micromanaging left in building the spaceship... but at least my successor won't need to micromanage trade for much longer!

Just looked at the powergraph... Despite being a game with a lot of restrictions... this looks to have been very easy!

Next...
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ne_a1806.sav (154.2 KB, 7 views)

Old April 18, 2003, 15:02   #313
King

It's either SCG or Hydey next. Technically it's Hydey's turn... but whichever of you wants to play first, go ahead and post.

Old April 18, 2003, 16:46   #314
SCG
King

took a quick look at the game, we should be able to end this game within 8 turns.

1 structural, 6 in production can be completed in 3 turns or less at no cost. assuming no production used (and we have 6 cities than can do 30 production), we need

45 additional SS parts:
16 components = 32 freights + 3840 gold
26 structurals = 26 freights + 3120 gold
3 modules = 3 freight + 3240 gold
61 freight and 10200 gold

we have 74 cities atm, we have 11973 gold, 15 freight and 47 in production = 62 freight, and a net of over 3000 gold per turn.

so we should be able to launch in 3 turns and land in 5 with a little micromanaging If Hydey wants to give it a shot, go ahead otherwise i may just try and end the game as i find the time
Old April 18, 2003, 16:59   #315
SCG
King

Re: Trade, trade, and more trade, yet again
Quote:
Just looked at the powergraph... Despite being a game with a lot of restrictions... this looks to have been very easy!
Next...
here's a thought, instead of a no-science game, where the AI does practically no researching, how about a no-tax game, where we are required to keep taxes at 0%?
Old April 21, 2003, 02:27   #316
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 22:14
Re: Re: Trade, trade, and more trade, yet again
Quote:
Originally posted by SCG

here's a thought, instead of a no-science game, where the AI does practically no researching, how about a no-tax game, where we are required to keep taxes at 0%?
Wow, this would be tricky before Trade: no temple (maintenance...) unless the huts have been generous...

The Gardens (and all WOW!) would be more than useful!
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old April 21, 2003, 06:05   #317
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:
Originally posted by SCG

I don't think this would be that taxing (hur hur ), since you could just go early rep with no temples early on and keep the people happy with 40% luxuries. Later on trade would pay for whatever improvements you have.
Old April 21, 2003, 07:47   #318
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 22:14
Re: Re: Re: Trade, trade, and more trade, yet again
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
keep the people happy with 40% luxuries
Why didn't I think about that??
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old April 21, 2003, 08:21   #319
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SCG

Sounds like it would lead to ICS - warriors keeping order in a lot of size 2 or 3 cities, and we'd make our money demanding cash from the cowering AI cities.

With another restriction or 2, it could make the game entertaining though

Old April 21, 2003, 11:33   #320
SCG
King

so we ban ICS (or set an upper city limit?). The idea i had was to make it an AC game since ovbiously people have won ICS via military conquest. maybe we could do like the early landing games and take away hut popping or set at villages only to cut down on gold via barbs?
Old April 21, 2003, 11:37   #321
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:
Originally posted by SCG
so we ban ICS (or set an upper city limit?). The idea i had was to make it an AC game since ovbiously people have won ICS via military conquest. maybe we could do like the early landing games and take away hut popping or set at villages only to cut down on gold via barbs?
But for an AC game my point above is even more important. One could play an almost standard early landing game without breaching your tax restriction or the city restriction.
Old April 24, 2003, 15:41   #322
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think this would be that taxing

That was truly bad, Dr. Spike.

I think this would make for a cool sxn game after this one is finished.

Old April 26, 2003, 15:20   #323
SCG
King

well, since Hydey hasn't posted anywhere since a week before we were interrupted, here's my final rounds - i got rather lazy - started sentrying freight and engineers and such so it's not really pretty, but I did land on AC in 1817 on turn 8

various freights
1808: germans discover communism, gold (d,380) to The Institute, kill a few barbs (get a vet howitzer), rush abou 40 freights. gold (d,362) to The Institute, Uranium (d,427) to Arkwright, Oil (xd, 166), Oil (xd,235) to Arkwright, Silver (d,264) to Cardiff, Wine (xd, 52), Gems (xd, 164) to Caernarfon - should be enough for fusion power with a about 150 beakers to spare. ok, evaluate space ship. 3 structurals, needs 30, needs 16 components and 3 modules. 45 freights, 3 structurals due to be completed this turn. 27 active freights. look into finishing SS parts with the 27 freight and current 11613 gold.

switch all cities to MP, freight or SS parts, deliver rest of freight to SS parts, complete several components - make note of pauling will have 30 shield production next turn after building freight.

1810: persians discover tactics, steal space flight (doh, well, will actually try and defend against that next turn), Tarsus goes into disorder? forgot to reset after freight delivery discover Fusion Power choose amphibious warfare

we now have 8, 8, 0, need 25, 8, 3
we have 4, 2, 0 finishing this turn, meaning we need to build 21, 6, 3 this turn - we have 43 freight and 12387 gold to complete 30 SS parts. - 23 cities building MP atm, so will need a little more rearranging. got sloppy, bought 1 too many components and wasted shields in 2 other cities... not too bad for playing about 15 mins a day

ok, had more than enough gold, so just kind of bought stuff (like Wounded Knee and Antioch)

1812: Celts discover Electricity, spanish get Steam Engine, various other stuff. Launch, arrival in 1817
Buy Hamburg, Sidon
1813: Soiux develop communism, disorder in a couple more cities(yeah, just trying to finish)
1814: purchace Munich (we have Eiffel Tower )
1815: Sioux sneak attack, Celts damage Cork, we have 2 unused uranium freights wandering around somewhere ,
1816: purchace Cologne, found one ->Uranium (d, 934) to Arkwright.
1817: AC

and the save the turn before in 1816
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ne_a1816.sav (154.3 KB, 6 views)
Old April 26, 2003, 18:54   #324
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Bravo!

The no-science luddites reach Alpha Centauri in 1817.

Although you never even used the other Uranium freight.
Old April 26, 2003, 19:37   #325
SCG
King

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
Although you never even used the other Uranium freight.
yeah, i know, i got lazy - i didn't really plan out the space ship and had 8 freights left over on the launch turn, and built 2 uranium freights the next turn but one turn just held down the 's' key (sentry or sleep) and hit return a couple times to speed things along and misplaced them. with some more serious planning i probably could have just about filled out the tech tree as i probably could have gotten uranium to recur in several cities and delivered them as well as the demanded gems and silk and wine overseas using our shipchains. I also rushbought a couple supermarkets so as to keep from micromanaging the cities that were xinning on alternate turns
Old April 26, 2003, 20:11   #326
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 20:14
Well done SCG! Good play by the team.

An 1817 landing with science @ 0% is a fine result. Thank you STYOM for setting up the game which was always fun to play.

-----------------------

SG(2)
Old April 27, 2003, 11:07   #327
King

Good game everyone - 1817 is not a bad landing date, considering we had the science slider set to 0, and limited government choices.

And good work, SCG, for grinding out those last turns - my last 8 turns were a long haul, so I imagine yours were as well

I'll let someone else start the next game - but I am tempted to disallow Einsteins in the next no science game I start

Old April 27, 2003, 15:22   #328
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Well done SCG - good game all - who needs science?

SG[1]
Old April 27, 2003, 16:11   #329
SCG
King

Quote:
I'll let someone else start the next game - but I am tempted to disallow Einsteins in the next no science game I start
disallow as in 0 einstiens, so that we never discover a single tech? or disallow as in maximum of 1 einstein, so that we actually make discoveries after enough freight deliveries?
Old April 28, 2003, 02:35   #330
rjmatsleepers
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

An 1817 landing with science @ 0% is a fine result.
-----------------------

SG(2)
It's a great result - well done all of you. It's embarassing to note that it's an earlier landing than I've managed in any of the early landing comparison games

RJM at Sleepers