Old March 13, 2003, 09:57   #151
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 14:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Gah
Sorry I haven't checked in. I've got finals this week, and it's kinda hard for me to deal with finals and play an SG at the same time.

Skip my turn for now. I should be able to play again on Sunday, though. If obiwan hasn't played by then, I'll go. If he has, I could just go after him.
Old March 13, 2003, 11:40   #152
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 15:14
Sounds perfect.

obiwan
Vlad -- Sunday (and best of luck on finals!)
-Jrabbit -- back in rotation after Vlad

MRT -- Keep an eye out for new games starting here in General/Help. You will be welcomed regardless of skill level. (Just be ready to accept a bit of rabid constructive criticism. You'll learn a lot, fast!)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 13, 2003, 12:04   #153
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 13:14
well its funny, after i get the game rolling i find i do pretty well. its the BC era that i hate to play and generally dont do as well in and find it boring. i much prefer to play mid to mid lates games.
Old March 13, 2003, 14:24   #154
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 20:14
Yes, Vlad - the very best for your finals - do us proud!

SG[1]
Old March 13, 2003, 14:34   #155
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

MRT -- Keep an eye out for new games starting here in General/Help. You will be welcomed regardless of skill level. (Just be ready to accept a bit of rabid constructive criticism. You'll learn a lot, fast!)
Good point ... and you will be welcome to join our next game MRT. I guess we will start a new one in a week or so. Anybody have any ideas for the next one?

------------------

SG(2)
Old March 13, 2003, 15:08   #156
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
ive been lurking this thread for about a week...i would have liked to play but alas i crap Civ2 skills.
Follow along with this bunch. It's a great way to improve.

I play today!
Old March 13, 2003, 16:09   #157
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Good point ... and you will be welcome to join our next game MRT. I guess we will start a new one in a week or so. Anybody have any ideas for the next one?

------------------

SG(2)
How about a Red Front succession scenario, SG(2)?

Otherwise... I had been toying with the idea of a nomad challenge... anyone up for that? Or is it too dull?

I think at this point we have to come up with some novel gimmicks to keep the games interesting... we have been trampling all over the poor AI in 'conventional' games. Anyone have an interesting map or start position?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old March 13, 2003, 16:32   #158
La Fayette
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 21:14
Quote:

Anybody have any ideas for the next one?
-----------------

SG(2)
Anything I have read about Red Front makes me think that, if player#1 plays 10 turns, there will be no succession at all, since it takes the h**l of a time and most players get hammered long before that .

Of course I would very much enjoy playing a scenario.
Why not ww2 as Russians? (we are playing it currently as comparison game; it would be fun comparing with what can be achieved playing succession 'one turn each')
Old March 13, 2003, 16:37   #159
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

STYOM - I'm not a great scenario player. A couple of years ago we played the Crusades Succession Game which took about an hour per turn if you were doing your job properly. However, I will follow the fortunes of the Red Front demo game.

I do have ideas for Succession Games ... but wondered if this was a good chance for somebody (other than the usual suspects ) to start and host a game. Another Academy Badge can be won.

------------------

SG(2)
Old March 13, 2003, 17:07   #160
King

Quote:
Originally posted by La Fayette

Anything I have read about Red Front makes me think that, if player#1 plays 10 turns, there will be no succession at all, since it takes the h**l of a time and most players get hammered long before that .

Of course I would very much enjoy playing a scenario.
Why not ww2 as Russians? (we are playing it currently as comparison game; it would be fun comparing with what can be achieved playing succession 'one turn each')
I figured a RF succession would only involve 2-3 turns per player. It's S-L-O-W. 10 turns could take a month for someone who wasn't busy in RL. Besides, if player #1 plays badly for, say, 10 turns, it'll be hard for subsequent players to recover.

Obviously if only 2-3 turns are being played per player, there will need to be a lot of communication between players. It'll be more of a team effort, getting units moved east-west, building steel mills/ammo plants in the east, conducting fire sales of improvements in threatened cities, etc.

Anyway, it's an idea. I'd probably join a WWII scenario as the Russians as well - or as anyone, really.

@SG(2) - I have tons of ideas as well, but I've started quite a few games lately; perhaps others have new ideas to share. (I remember the Crusades game, was it ever finished?)

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old March 13, 2003, 17:12   #161
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
... but wondered if this was a good chance for somebody (other than the usual suspects ) to start and host a game.
I may try and come up with something

The worst that can happen is that you all say "no that idea sucks"

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old March 13, 2003, 17:42   #162
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
(I remember the Crusades game, was it ever finished?)
The SGs buried it, didn't they?
( I remember that I finished the one I was playing on my own in the mean time)
Old March 13, 2003, 18:01   #163
King

Play list...
1. obiwan18
2. SG(2)
3. Hydey
4. SCG
5. STYOM
6. SG[1]
7. Bloody Monk
8. Jrabbit
9. La Fayette
10. Vlad Antlerkov

There are a lot of us, let's drop to 10 turns.

Old March 13, 2003, 18:07   #164
La Fayette
King

Quote:

The SGs buried it, didn't they?
( I remember that I finished the one I was playing on my own in the mean time)
I just checked:
In fact I was the last one on the list and we won (according to the AI = Seliuq decisive defeat), though we didn't win (= conquer all objective cities).

Here is the thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=22435
Old March 14, 2003, 05:33   #165
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
I may try and come up with something
The worst that can happen is that you all say "no that idea sucks"
Sticky Mice down under

------------------

SG(2)
Old March 14, 2003, 06:18   #166
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:

Sticky Mice down under

------------------

SG(2)

The South Pole

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old March 14, 2003, 10:24   #167
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

I have a somewhat malformed idea ...

The concept is a modern era fundamentalist conquest, with some sting that gives the AI every possible edge until such time as we release the "Hammers of God".

The problem is formalising 'the sting' - severe limits on number of cities, size of population, research rate, reputation, governmental changes etc.

The best I have come up with so far is an island start on a Giga map, with the only unit permitted to land on another continent being a camel or freight, but if anyone can refine this so I get my modern era bloodbath I will happily listen...

SG[1]
Old March 14, 2003, 11:40   #168
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

SG[1],

This sounds very promising. I hope you can figure out the right combination of handicaps to get us to a late game slugfest with the AI.

I, for one, have almost no experience with that situation as I have always throttled the AI by then. It will make for an enjoyable learning experience. I can imagine a big navy and air force and the "need' for SDI, for instance.

I know it will limit some favored options (Super Ironclads) but how about a restriction on the beginning of conquest until some late date or late advance.

The rational could be that our peace loving, good neighbor, trade empire waits patiently for the AI nations to discover the inner peace that we enjoy from our enlightened relationship with God, always turning the other cheek when "sneaked," until finally we snap and enforce our desires by jihad. We will then be in a position where we save them by destroying them.

Monk
Old March 14, 2003, 12:09   #169
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Exactly my thinking, Monk - believe it or not I can only remember a single occasion when I have used the "Howie Powie" in anger

We, of course, being 'good' Fundamentalists will never use 'weapons of mass destruction'.

My thoughts thus far:
* spotless rep
* only one gov change pre-(hard)Fundy
* no off continent hut popping pre-Fundy
* no off continent attacking or bribing pre-Fundy
* no off continent city building pre-Fundy
* no nukes ever

This will allow The Institute to demonstrate its expertise in despotism and with high volume trading, but keep the Rodents (including myself) penned in on a medium island (say about 8 non-sleazy cities) until the cry of 'Jihad'.

SG[1] - wetting his lips (read baring his incisors) with anticipation

Indeed - the gits in concert might just publish this one tonight
Old March 14, 2003, 12:28   #170
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

SG[1],

Does this
Quote:
* only one gov change pre-(hard)Fundy
...mean a change IS allowed before Fundy, or not??

No SoL, right?? Hard Fundy means researching fundamentalism first.
This would qualify as deep into the tech tree.

I hope you don't let boredom with this (Current) game cause you to start this game right now. There are already many games going. Just a thought. Whenever, I'm in.

Monk
Old March 14, 2003, 12:37   #171
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

me2

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old March 14, 2003, 13:40   #172
King

I can remember two succession games that progressed to the late stages (meaning howies, bombers, etc).

One was called 'The Truest Gift of the Gods' (IIRC), and although I didn't play it (no MGE at the time), I seem to recall a small island start in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Progress was slow due to the difficulty in reaching any sizeable land, and ultimately, conquest was achieved through massive numbers of tanks and howies. Some of you played this game, IIRC, so correct me if I'm erring on the details.

The other game was the 'Invasion Earth' game (ToT) - we started on AC, and of course, we couldn't reach the AIs on Earth until we had SuperConductor. On top of that, it was another island start and early development was slow - missed a lot of the good wonders - and the AI civs were huge and tough when we finally reached them. I'm not sure how we could simulate that in MGE, but a gigamap 250x120 would lessen the chances of early contact, particularly if we tweaked the starting positions.

In any event, the common theme in these 2 games seems to be island starts. I like the idea of a custom map game, with a small, isolated island start. A random map start won't work, because the random maps seldom have islands that aren't in visual or trireme (3') range.

I prefer the idea of a difficult starting position as a challenge, rather than a laundry list of rules to follow. An awkward start and 1 or 2 simple rules would be ideal.

Old March 14, 2003, 16:51   #173
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
I can remember two succession games that progressed to the late stages (meaning howies, bombers, etc).

One was called 'The Truest Gift of the Gods' (IIRC), and although I didn't play it (no MGE at the time), I seem to recall a small island start in the middle of the Pacific ocean
You remember right, STYOM. The map was a gigamap of the world (earthmap) designed by Julius himself. Smash and I were among the other players, and we had great fun sailing slow boats during centuries, before we finally got a strong mix of armours and howies on every continent
Old March 14, 2003, 16:59   #174
Bloody Monk
King

Old soldiers, remembering the glory of earlier times.

Monk
Old March 14, 2003, 18:01   #175
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Hydey - we have kicked off yet another game - [1] needed to get this one out of his system - but we look forward to joining the "Sticky Mice Down Under"

The SGs - just starting the second (bottle)
Old March 14, 2003, 19:19   #176
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

AD 260:

Takes over the reigns from the laconic La Fayette.

Inspects empire.
We are weak, and fragile! Who could possibly prefer such a weak and fragile Republic to a robust fundamentalism?

*looks at bloody monk.*

Well, what's done is done.
Before I can start I must improve our *cough* empire *cough* as such.

All of our cities crank out caravans.

Available wonders:
Mikes (just about to be built!)
Finally.

Which others available?
Great Library, Oracle, Great Wall
We want some REAL wonders.
Infrastructure is going to be costly in this game.

We could use some more contacts with the AI.
We've only met two.
*cautiously hits enter*

AD 280

Hides supplier in Huntsmen!
Pop hut with diplo, get Nomads.
I'll send him back to build a city close to our
first continent.
That way we will get 2 continent bonuses!
Meet with Zulus - no change.

AD 300
Zulus build GL- they are number2 in science.
Jack luxury rate to 80 percent to induce 2 more
celebrations.
Lets see how much our population jumps!

AD 320
Population to 2.3 million!
Pop hut, get nomads.
Build Edinburgh.

AD 340
Pop hut for Barbs near Edinburgh.
Rush Edinburgh horsie
Pop to 2.7 million
Lion and Bee can still grow.
Watt builds boat.
Crompton Silk expedition launched.

AD 360
Pop to 2.84 million
Bee, Iron Duke to grow
Drop luxuries to 70%
Edinburgh horse crushes barb
Build Berenice on home continent. This fills our last hole.

AD 380
Pop to 3 million
Pop hut, Construction!
Bee, Eye can grow
Increase lux to 80%.

AD 400

Pop to 3.2million
Arkwright builds Aqueduct, hoping grow to 12 population.
Build Cambridge.
Drop Luxuries to 40%.

AD 420
Celts build Oracle.
Pop 3.32, most celebrations end.
Kay will grow next turn, jump to 60% lux.
Pop Hut, Acquire Feudalism!
Build Rourke's Drift near Zulus.
Buy Harbour in Crompton.

AD 440

Buy Harbour in Arkwright.
Pop hut for 50 gold.
Pop 3.44 million.

AD 460
Pop 3.67 million
Buy harbour in Hargreaves

Here's where all the caravans are headed:

Trade mission to Germans for Silk
Trade to Capital from Iron Duke
Trade from Huntsman to Bee. This is a repeating Hides, so we will get lots of cash off Huntsman.
The diplomat near the Zulus is headed to the Celtic city, to establish an embassy.

You may rename any of my new cities as you see fit, except for Rourke's Drift. Let me keep our Zulu outpost.
We have the option of Sun Tzu's and we are still Supreme and Spotless.

SG(2) is up.
Not much of an army for you.

Last edited by Ben Kenobi; March 14, 2003 at 19:25.
Old March 14, 2003, 19:24   #177
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

And the save..

(+1)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ne_a460.sav (144.5 KB, 8 views)
Old March 14, 2003, 20:27   #178
La Fayette
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Monk
Old soldiers, remembering the glory of earlier times.

Monk
You speak the truth, Monk: I never forget that I shall be 65 within a few months

(but there is some glory left to be harvested, I'm sure, though not in the field of early landing, as far as I am concerned )
Old March 14, 2003, 20:46   #179
Bloody Monk
King

Quote:

You speak the truth, Monk: I never forget that I shall be 65 within a few months

(but there is some glory left to be harvested, I'm sure, though not in the field of early landing, as far as I am concerned )
You never know, my friend; anything is possible, even for us geezers. I am 55 and still young at heart. It is a wonderful thing to have such memories. Getting to here has been fun--mostly.

Monk
Old March 14, 2003, 21:06   #180
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

We are respectively 55 & 54 - very Old Gits -- (2) has d/led and is on the game

The SGs - drinking lots of coffee