Old April 14, 2001, 17:11   #1
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Market
How do I use it? I mean the main problem here is the -5 police. I don't mind the -3 planet so much, except when it blows over 3 tidal harnesses in a turn.

How do I make it work? And why does even keeping a standing air force causes 2 drones to appear? The noodles aren't out of the compound...
Old April 14, 2001, 19:44   #2
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 05:11
For some reason air units are always considered out of territory - just another bug.

The thing with Market (so much as I understand it, never one to use it much myself) is that you're raking in so much money you can afford to pay Psych to quell the drones. Also don't forget that probes don't cause unrest, and neither do crawlers. Use crawlers as your border patrols, probes as your away force. With the money you should be making you can afford to do whatever you like with them.

As for the ecodamage, use it to your advantage. Build a fleet of res, empath units, choppers for the sea and air, rovers for the land, and just make more money from the planet pearls.
Old April 15, 2001, 02:07   #3
Walt
Warlord

Local Time: 05:11
What Chowlett said: all good advice.

The drones-from-air-units thing isn't a bug, though, it's a feature. Same thing is present in Civ. Air units are assumed to be out-of-territory upon creation.

The easiest way to get around the air units problem is to build a punishment sphere in one base and 'home' all your air units there. You did build them 'Clean', right?

The main thing to remember in using Free Market is that it causes making money to be one of your strengths. The way to win is to capitalize on your strengths, so you should use the money-making ability of Free Market to make even more money. Create turn advantage. Rush buy /everything/. Particularly facilities (energy bank, tidal harness, fusion lab) and units (formers, crawlers, colony pods) that will make you more money. Use money to buy friends. Use money to buy off hostiles.

At the end of the turn, Morgan (and any free marketeer, really) should not be the richest player in the game, but more commonly the poorest. Why? Almost all his money should have been spent during the turn gaining turn advantage.

Walt
Old April 16, 2001, 10:49   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:11
quote:

Originally posted by Walt on 04-15-2001 02:07 AM
The drones-from-air-units thing isn't a bug, though, it's a feature. Same thing is present in Civ. Air units are assumed to be out-of-territory upon creation.

The beauty is that only ground attack jets cause unhappiness. SAM jets are considered defensive and are OK in the eyes of your people. Build some of these for long-range reconnaisance/ transport-killing.