Old February 23, 2003, 20:37   #1
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 15:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Home Defense
Well, this morning, the Homeland Defense department decided that the duct tape defense system was a lame idea.

But I would like to thank President Bush and the Homeland Defense for proposing such a hi-tech, effective defense system.

So what is their proposal now -- trash duct tape in favor of clear, mail packaging tape?

I love 21st century technology.
Old February 23, 2003, 20:42   #2
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hey, even Tom Ridge has to do something to earn his big, fat paycheck.

-- Mr. President
"Give NASA the money and let them all starve!"
Old February 23, 2003, 20:44   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

The tape idea bordered on retardation.
Old February 23, 2003, 20:45   #4
MrFun
Emperor

Apparently, there are lot of dupes out there, since a lot of stores across the nation ran out of duct tape ever since this official advice came out.

So glad Homeland Defense officials recovered some bit of common sense, and backed down from this stupid idea.
Old February 23, 2003, 20:46   #5
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
The tape idea bordered on retardation.
no sh*t

So what was President Bush's stand on this stupid idea from Homeland Defense, anyway?
Old February 23, 2003, 20:46   #6
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 06:15
Jay Leno thinks that the Department of Homeland Security is testing to see what they can get people to do.

"The only way to protect against Saddam's poison gas is to . . . soak a towel in spaghetti sauce and drape it over your head."
Old February 23, 2003, 20:48   #7
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Hey, now wait a sec.
If nothing else it stimulated the economy to a degree.
Old February 23, 2003, 21:10   #8
MrFun
Emperor

Again, my question was -- what was President Bush's stand on the duct tape defense system?
Old February 23, 2003, 21:15   #9
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

My guess? He hired a guy to do a job.
Bush has other things to do.
Old February 23, 2003, 21:15   #10
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 14:15
The President only has a few opinions, mainly on Iraq, tax cuts, religion and sanctity of life issues. The man has no opinons outside of that, at least as far as we can learn based on what he says in public.

The Department of Homeland Security was an idiotic monstrosity to construct, and a plague on the houses of all in Congress that voted for this thing
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 24, 2003, 00:55   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 04:15
This provides comic relief for us outsiders.
Old February 24, 2003, 01:24   #12
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. President
Jay Leno thinks that the Department of Homeland Security is testing to see what they can get people to do.

"The only way to protect against Saddam's poison gas is to . . . soak a towel in spaghetti sauce and drape it over your head."
so bush just wants to make us all greasy towel heads?

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old February 24, 2003, 04:04   #13
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Excuse me while I sound stupid...

Duct tape is something you really, really want if you need to seal a room from, say, a chemical attack (there's a reason it's used for ductwork). Of course, you're usually better off leaving the area, but sometimes that's just not possible. You pick a room that has few openings and little ventilation, and set it up as your 'safe room'. you put in some water, a portable radio, some reading material, and the duct tape. Food if you want, but you'll probably be out of there in less than twenty-four hours (one way or the other), so it's not required. In the Event of an attack, shut your windows, go to the safe room and seal yourself in with the duct tape. After the all-clear, tear down the duct tape and go on your merry little way.

I picked this up in the first month after 9-11; I heard it's what the Isrealis had their citizens do when the first gulf war threatened.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 24, 2003, 04:39   #14
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:15
Because, out of the billions of square meters of land available, you never know when the terrorists might choose to attack one right next to your house...

Old February 24, 2003, 04:45   #15
Kropotkin
Emperor

Local Time: 22:15
Bush is obviously backed by something more powerfull than the oil industry; the duct tape industry!!
Old February 24, 2003, 04:45   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 13:15
I use a Glock 17 with 17 rounds of hydro-shok hollowpoints
Old February 24, 2003, 04:47   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

duct tape was not that stupid.

I used to work in radiological controls in the navy while working in the nuclear power plant.

Guess what we used to seal up our glove bags or full containments when performing radioactive maintenance? Yep- duct tape.

but yes you will never have warning. because the terrorist don't use missiles They do not posses missles of going that far.

Any attack has to be a crop duster or some sort of local attack. Either way the attack will be silent (relatively) and you will have no forwarning. Unless your safe room is always ready (save for the last seal when you enter)- you are going to be in a world of hurt. And if you are at work at the time, or away from your house you are really in a world of sh!t.
Old February 24, 2003, 05:09   #18
Urban Ranger
Deity

1. Check this thread for realistic dangers of CBN weapons

2. How big a risk is involved? Compared to the 9-11 attack, how many people died in car accidents that year?
Old February 24, 2003, 05:22   #19
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

yep, I read that thread. good stuff.

But again, duct tape is a powerful tape. There is a reason why we used it in the navy.

But you have to know this stuff is coming.

The thing to realize is getting out of town is impossible due to traffic jams. Of course this is only an issue if they use chemical weapons on the entire city- which is unlikely as that would require too much material.

So really a safe room is not needed. I have duct tape- what man doens't? But I have no plastic sheeting. It is not likely to spread chemical weaps over an entire city. Too much material would be needed. And if they hit my city it will be downtown or the strip. And the sheeting isn't protection against biological weapons really, so I don't need it for that either.

It could help from getting radioactive fallout into your room, but then everything else will be contaminated. Either way you will want to leave the city.

But the thing to realize is leaving the city is not an option due to limited routes. I could use my 4 X 4 to go over the hills into the lake mead area though . Then I could take northshore road to overton and get on the freeway there. But since there is no plausible I would have to leave the city in less than 30 minutes, I'm not concerned with this.
Old February 24, 2003, 05:40   #20
Urban Ranger
Deity

Just something I learned from risk management: people put a lot of emphasis on something that is very improbable to happen, but with disastrous consequences. It's probably the shock value.
Old February 24, 2003, 09:15   #21
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
The President only has a few opinions, mainly on Iraq, tax cuts, religion and sanctity of life issues. The man has no opinons outside of that, at least as far as we can learn based on what he says in public.

The Department of Homeland Security was an idiotic monstrosity to construct, and a plague on the houses of all in Congress that voted for this thing
Evidently, you haven't a clue to what management is about.
The President is just a manager, with the biggest staff.
He doesn't claim to know all; he hires subordinate managers to manage their areas of expertise.

But this is just another opportunity for you to whine and show your ass, isn't it ?
Old February 24, 2003, 10:04   #22
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 22:15
A President represents his country, a Pres has to have an opinion on EVERYTHING. He has to know his country inside out. (Nobody said leading a country was a cushy job! leading a nation is in the interest of the country, nothing else!) Clearly, spending your days on planning the war on iraq is not sufficient in my opinion (he said it himself, or perhaps some staff member i donno, that he spent 80% of his time on the war on iraq... you think that's normal?)

In our country anyway, the prime minister also handles minor business, or at least what "you" would see as minor stuff. When there is a dispute that can't be solved, the primie minister or president should have their own opinion on the case...

I mean: that's what you pay a president for?: waging wars, whining about religion, and making tax cuts? Well then you have a very weak and ignorant leader...

Bush's term reminds me of four things: Tax cuts, war on afghanistan, war on iraq and finally oil companies get all the advantages they desire (so they don't need to reduce pollution in oil refineries etc if they don't want to, for example)
Old February 24, 2003, 11:21   #23
Urban Ranger
Deity

Sloww,

That's insane. A CEO does not need to be an expert on everything, but he has to know about all the issues, and be prepared to take a position on them. If he can't, Dubya should cut time spend on his ranch and catch up with business.
Old February 24, 2003, 14:08   #24
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

There's a lot of difference in having knowledge of, and having an area of expertise.
Old February 24, 2003, 14:12   #25
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Trajanus, Bush does more than that.

You are making the mistake of paying attention to the media too much. I'm sure in his day to day routine, he handles many issues. They are just not newsworthy.

I too once believe the media. I once believe how great a president Bill Clinton was, because he presented himself so well to the media. And the media liked him and gave him lots of good coverage.
Old February 24, 2003, 14:16   #26
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

I guess the chairman of General Motors is forklift certified.
Old February 24, 2003, 16:44   #27
MrFun
Emperor

Apparently Dissident is salivating over duct tape.

I still say that this whole episode was crazy.
Old February 24, 2003, 17:25   #28
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 20:15
I agree. They're pis$ing away 100s of billions to create a false sense of security. But when it gets right down to it, anybody that wants to commit terrorism is going to do it anyway.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old February 24, 2003, 18:26   #29
Jac de Molay
Prince

Local Time: 20:15
Quote:
Just something I learned from risk management: people put a lot of emphasis on something that is very improbable to happen, but with disastrous consequences. It's probably the shock value.
I figure that I've breathed so much polluted air ,and drank so much polluted water out of the Detroit River, that the worse I'd get from a biological/chemical attack is a nice contact buzz.

In fact, my "emergency plan" involves opening all the windows in my apartment and frolicking gaily in the streets. I've got three days' supply of Doritos and Mountain Dew on hand for the ensuing case of munchies.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.