Old April 19, 2001, 14:26   #1
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 01:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The manual just arrived in my mailbox!
After waiting 8 weeks, my SMAC manual arrived this afternoon. They even included a big tech tree. And I am eager to begin this journey.

I'm the one who posted recently asking if most of you had played Civ2 before SMAC. I said learning Civ2 was hard for me, and most of you suggested I learn Civ2 first as SMAC is "more complicated."

Well, I can't wait. I'm ready to pop that SMAC CD in the computer, and with new manual in hand go forward with it.

I know. Crazy - since I am just getting my sea legs in Civ2. And I know it is probably going to be confusing to learn both of these games at the same time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

But I'm ready to play.

sboog

Old April 19, 2001, 16:00   #2
Locus
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:11
Have fun!

I think you should maybe forget about Civ II and just play SMAC until Civ III comes out. SMAC will take up a lot of time so before you know it, Civ III will be out at just the right time since you will probably want a break from it. I loved Civ II more than SMAC even though I generally play SMAC. I am really looking forward to Civ III. I highly recommend that you read the manual before you play. It is a pretty easy read in a big font and reading it will make your first few games a lot easier. Then, you should check out Vel's terrific SMAC guide for a thorough understanding of politics, economics, and warfare (in a SMAC setting but applicable to real life).

------------------
Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers
Old April 19, 2001, 16:51   #3
rwprice
Warlord

Keep us posted on your progress. Like you, I'm trying my hardest to become a fan of these games. I also have SMAC, but only with the electronic version of the manual and no tech tree. I haven't installed it yet, because I'm still trying to get the hang of Civ II. I'm really interested in your opinion of the game. Good luck!
Old April 19, 2001, 17:59   #4
sboog
Warlord

Local Time: 01:11
rwprice, I hope I can manage both! But there are two reasons I want to persevere. (1) My respect for Sid Meier and (2) the devotion to these games as evidenced by this forum and the Apolyton Civ2 one.

sboog
Old April 19, 2001, 20:59   #5
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
rwprice:

Some time ago Helium Pond created a one page tech tree that many of us keep by our PCs for multiplayer games reference.

You can download this from the Spartan Chronicles site:

http://clik.to/sparta

then go to the "Miscellaneous Downloads" page for it.

Googlie
Old April 19, 2001, 21:25   #6
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010

Apologies to anyone who downloaded the file between the last post and now - I had hung the wrong file on the SC site.

The correct file for the Teeny Tech Tree is now available from the site

G.
Old April 20, 2001, 01:11   #7
rwprice
Warlord

Googlie, thanks for the tip. Sboog, I agree with your reasons for persevering. I share your sentiments. Keep us posted!