Old April 19, 2001, 20:06   #1
Rift
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Custom Special Abilities?
Does anyone know how to add on your own special ability options in alpha.txt? For example, 25% defense bonus, every unit comes equipped nerve gas ability, etc. etc. Also, one more thing...I never bothered to look this up, but what's the difference between mind control and total thought control (probe team option)? I assume that you can attempt total thought control on factions with immunity to mind control.
Old April 20, 2001, 13:01   #2
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Local Time: 00:12
quote:

Originally posted by Rift on 04-19-2001 08:06 PM
... Also, one more thing...I never bothered to look this up, but what's the difference between mind control and total thought control (probe team option)? I assume that you can attempt total thought control on factions with immunity to mind control.

RTFM! "Total" mind control simply means you attempt subversion with complete deniability -- i.e., no diplomatic penalty. The cost is the same (unlike in Civ2), but the odds are worse. A base immune to mind control is immune to total mind control.

In SMAX, probe teams with algorithmic enhancement always have some chance, so no one is truly immune, altho Miriam under Fundy is still a tough nut to crack.
Old April 21, 2001, 22:36   #3
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
I'm intrigued ... Rift, why would you want every unit to come equipped with nerve gas ability?? (to take your example). It's extra cost, and there are some units that simply don't require it, no matter how rapacious your style of play ... SMAC is about subtlety. That means designing for the job, among other things.
Old April 22, 2001, 10:19   #4
Rift
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:12
quote:

Originally posted by Misotu on 04-21-2001 10:36 PM
I'm intrigued ... Rift, why would you want every unit to come equipped with nerve gas ability?? (to take your example). It's extra cost, and there are some units that simply don't require it, no matter how rapacious your style of play ... SMAC is about subtlety. That means designing for the job, among other things.

Actually, the nerve gas ability was just an example. I think that social engineering is limited, and to create a faction that matches it's ideology perfectly, you need some more options. For example, a espionage-type faction might have automatic infiltration to every faction it encounters, and a faction devoted to uniting all the others might be an ally at default of all the factions it meets.