Old April 15, 2001, 20:49   #1
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 05:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AI Submissive to Another AI?
I've played AC am embarrassingly long time now and I've never seen any evidence that an AI has taken another AI's surrender - it seems that the AI goes for extermination instead. If this were true it is yet another of the many significant advantages a human player has over the AI. It also should be considered for a fix in some far off SMAC II, or in CIV III if it includes a diplomacy algorithm like that of SMAC.

Has anyone noticed any evidence that an AI was submissive/slave to another AI?

Hydro
Old April 16, 2001, 10:25   #2
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:12
Not yet. I find it hilarious that when (for instance) Morgan is getting pummeled by Deirdre, he will decide it's time to pronounce vendetta on me (also at war with Gaians) -- then surrender to me a couple of turns later without our units ever having engaged. I've had it happen twice in my current game: the above situation with Morgie down to only one base, and the Univ -- already restarted once by Dawn he reappears, pronounces vendetta on me, and surrenders 10 years later after a trolling pre-boil mindworm knocks off a scout patrol outside a base full of defenders. Sadly, I am the aliens and can't use the commerce income from either pet.

In both situations, my opponents would have been stronger to have sought surrender from other factions (Dawn took out Zak and Domai way on the other side of the world before I'd even met them, and Deirdre really could've used Morgan's money to probe my invaders).

I'm with you on this one: despite the laughs, I hope they fix it someday.

Old April 20, 2001, 15:12   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Question:

How would you know if the AI took a submissive pet. It's not like in the faction profile you see "Submissive to Yang" or anything when you do have a slave. Maybe some of these AI pacts are in reality subservient relationships?

G.
Old April 23, 2001, 09:23   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Googlie on 04-20-2001 03:12 PM
How would you know if the AI took a submissive pet. It's not like in the faction profile you see "Submissive to Yang" or anything when you do have a slave. Maybe some of these AI pacts are in reality subservient relationships?

Good point, and it would be nice to tink that the AI could be so clever. Watching ongoing wars, I just don't see it happening. If ever I see a vendetta end with a Pact signed immediately after a base capture, I'll get suspicious. Usually the pacts I see are along the lines of "the Morganites and the Pirates have decided to combine forces against us", when previously one had been at peace with me, and the two had not been in vendetta.
Old April 23, 2001, 15:01   #5
Locus
Chieftain

I do recall in at least a few of my games one AI at war with me and at war with another AI suddenly declare a pact and for both of them to combine forces against me even though the second AI was at peace with me. Maybe the more powerful AI forced the other AI into submission and required war with me as a condidition?

------------------
Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers
Old April 23, 2001, 17:00   #6
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:12
quote:

Originally posted by Locus on 04-23-2001 03:01 PM
I do recall in at least a few of my games one AI at war with me and at war with another AI suddenly declare a pact and for both of them to combine forces against me even though the second AI was at peace with me. Maybe the more powerful AI forced the other AI into submission and required war with me as a condidition?

The AI works in mysterious ways.......