View Poll Results: Should the city conquered in the 10th turn chat called Graz?
Yes 7 46.67%
No 8 53.33%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 26, 2003, 17:27   #1
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 22:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OFFICIAL: The name of the city conquered in the 10th turn chat
As the President is responsible for the naming of all new cities of our Great Nation regardless of how the cities were created or assimilated, I have to find a name for the city conquered in the 10th turn chat.
However every name has to be evaluated by the citizens through an Official Poll.

I think we shouldn't forget the glorious victory we had there on the battlefields in front of a lot of our brave Hopelites and Archers gave there live we shouldn't forget that. Therefore my suggestion for the name of city is Graz, so that we won't forget that we were small and weak.

Vote Yes, if the new city conquered in the 10th turn chat should be called Graz.
Vote No, if the new city conquered in the 10th turn chat should not be called Graz.
Vote Abstain, if you have no idea.

This poll will expire in 7 days after this poll was posted. I think city naming is not as much important as deciding on what to research therefore this poll can be a little bit longer open then other polls. As the result is not needed in the next turn chat to play on.

-Martin
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	graz.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	38179  

Last edited by Martin Gühmann; February 26, 2003 at 17:33.
Old February 27, 2003, 06:55   #2
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 21:27
Not that I don't like the name of Graz, but I think it is important to us and the new members of our nation to give them a chance to feel more related to us, one chance to do so, is by choosing a new name for our new acquirement, our new juwel in our growing nation.

That's why I voted NO.
Old February 27, 2003, 11:51   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

I think it is important to know our history and don't forget the blood and the efforts our troops gave to our nation. This conquest of Graz is also a part of our identity. We shouldn't deny one part of our identity by renaming the city. miggio already forgot or never got to know that we conquered Innsbruck. So we already lost one part of our identity, we shouldn't loose another part of it.

-Martin
Old February 27, 2003, 12:06   #4
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

That is a true point, but I am afraid that with not changing the name, that might strengthen those unbelievers, which have been brainwashed so heavily that they still believe they should continue to belong to our enemy the Austrians.

Changing the name should also send a message across to them, that they are now living in a new and better world.
Old February 27, 2003, 16:33   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
That is a true point, but I am afraid that with not changing the name, that might strengthen those unbelievers, which have been brainwashed so heavily that they still believe they should continue to belong to our enemy the Austrians.

Changing the name should also send a message across to them, that they are now living in a new and better world.
I think it is not a problem as long as these unbelievers don't notice that they are now working for us.

-Martin
Old February 27, 2003, 16:48   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

So what happened to using the name Maqiudad?

Martin, i guess youre against the old naming cities after DG members/CtP2 players then?
Old February 27, 2003, 17:07   #7
miggio
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 20:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
miggio already forgot or never got to know that we conquered Innsbruck. So we already lost one part of our identity, we shouldn't loose another part of it.
opps Its H town right...
Old February 27, 2003, 18:14   #8
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora

Martin, i guess youre against the old naming cities after DG members/CtP2 players then?
I thought we only talked about using names like J Land and Wombatoon, these names are still on my list, and are reserved for cities founded by our settlers. Actual I don't like renaming conquered cities, as it makes us to forget victories to quickly. That is the one hand.

For naming cities after players: Locutus and mapfi already express their opinion about it, and I tend to aggree, for the first city it was ok, but to continue with it. I think we should rather continue with city names that are invented by our members, of course these city names could honor posters as well.

-Martin
Old February 27, 2003, 21:23   #9
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 17:27
Quote:
I made a list for chat 7th (I think) and I forgot Maqiudad in the list. But dhould be the name of the second settled city. So idf you are using the DG members -Naming Please first name Wombatoon and then Maqiudad. I didnt even made a honour to J Bytheway so that he could choose the name. He was the next of the list of ones to honour. Still I dont even he has knoledge about that.

So Martin, in respect to Maquiladora follow the order Wombatoon then Maqiudad, please.

Quote:
I think we should rather continue with city names that are invented by our members, of course these city names could honor posters as well.
Only if you forbid them to choose names that remember their login. Since the honoured didnt had to choose a name to remind their login. Still they did.
-Jean Rostand
Old February 28, 2003, 11:32   #10
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn

I made a list for chat 7th (I think) and I forgot Maqiudad in the list. But dhould be the name of the second settled city. So idf you are using the DG members -Naming Please first name Wombatoon and then Maqiudad. I didnt even made a honour to J Bytheway so that he could choose the name. He was the next of the list of ones to honour. Still I dont even he has knoledge about that.

So Martin, in respect to Maquiladora follow the order Wombatoon then Maqiudad, please.

Only if you forbid them to choose names that remember their login. Since the honoured didnt had to choose a name to remind their login. Still they did.
I updated the list in the turn chat thread. By the way the possibility to let the honored chose a name that reminds to the login of the honored is included.

-Martin
Old February 28, 2003, 16:18   #11
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 17:27
I voted to keep the name of Graz by the way. I think the names of conquered cities should be kept, As Martin said, it is part of our history. Changing means forgeting
-Jean Rostand
Old February 28, 2003, 16:29   #12
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Hope we build some more then, even if we end up with a sea city called Maqiudad
Old March 1, 2003, 11:03   #13
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Hope we build some more then, even if we end up with a sea city called Maqiudad
I hope, too. And it is actual much more worth then just taking a big city, especially if you are seeing the city growing and prospering.

-Martin
Old March 4, 2003, 14:04   #14
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

So far it looks like you want to forget the glorious battle of Graz.

-Martin
Old March 4, 2003, 16:08   #15
Maquiladora
Emperor

Not uncommon though. Many (re)conquered cities were renamed throughout history, i think its more realistic, why should we carry on another civs culture? Its ours now!
Old March 4, 2003, 18:51   #16
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 20:27
Let the founding fathers of our nation not be forgotten!
Rename cities after them to honour their memmory(even if they don't want us to - in reality they would have died along time ago so they can't really change the present!).
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.