Old April 28, 2001, 15:39   #1
SPasmofiT
Prince

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
multiplayer online - netettique ?
I usualy play only single-player on "Talent" and sometimes I play hot seat, but I just lost my partner... so I'm looking for some gaming on-line...

so, how do you play SMAC by email? do you play a turn a day? if so, does it takes for ever? 200 turns -> 200 days...

how do you do it? where do I start?
Old April 28, 2001, 17:09   #2
cbn
Prince

Local Time: 01:42
To join pbem just go to the multiplayer section and look for the "tournament sign up thread"-- tau ceti sets up some games in the tournament whenever there are a few players. The other option is to simply post a message there that you are seeking email games . I only started PBEM about 6 weeks ago but a turn-a day is about as good as you can expect (once played three times in 24 hours but that is rare). It is often up to 2 days between turns and there will be occasional delays when computers break or people are away from home. I figure a year to play a game would be accurate. An option that we have used to speed up one game is to intersperse some direct connection time (on the first try we did 17 turns and probably would have had 10 more if I had not been so slow in figuring out how it worked)

Another option is to join a partially completed game (see the "relacement players needed" thread in multiplayer. I am playing one game that way and it might be difficult if the previous players style was markedly different than yours but it is one way to skip through the early turns where there is less action.
Old April 29, 2001, 21:49   #3
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 06:12
That's about right, although a year is a little pessimistic for a tournament game in my experience. If you have 7 players, then that's about right, with 4 or fewer it's a bit faster. I had one, very slow-moving game that lasted just over a year. The others tend to be over in around 4-8 months.

I like to have something to play every day, so I sign up for several simultaneous games.
Old April 30, 2001, 05:38   #4
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 01:12
Don't you find yourself overwhelmed by things? Or are you one of those players who can look at each situation as though it were new and make decisions? I'm finding it hard to keep track of the two PBEM games I'm in (one of which is utterly noncompetitive and more an exercise in roleplaying the faction leaders). I'm so used to being able to press ENTER and get on with long ranging plans that playing a turn a day really throws me.