Old February 27, 2003, 09:48   #1
Aias
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power II MultiplayerMac
Warlord

Local Time: 15:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Government types
I was wondering if there is a place in the threads that list the preferred government type for each civ. In the PTW manual, p 18-21 list the new civs, their preferred gov type and the shunned gov type. Is there a list of this for the original civs?

Also, off of this topic, if I want to install a mod, where do I put it (which folder) in the game.

Thanks!
Old February 27, 2003, 10:11   #2
Aias
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power MultiplayerCall to Power II MultiplayerMac
Warlord

Okay, I did finally find the link. In case anyone else needs to know, I've pasted it on here (And the credit for this goes to King_Henry):
America-Democracy/Communism
Aztecs-Monarchy/Democracy
Babylon-Monarchy/Despotism
China-Communism/Monarchy
Egypt-Monarchy/Republic
England-Democracy/Despotism
France-Republic/Monarchy
Germany-Republic/Communism
Greece-Democracy/Despotism
India-Democracy/Despotism
Iroquois-Communism/Monarchy
Japan-Monarchy/Republic
Persia-Monarchy/Democracy
Rome-Republic/Communism
Russia-Communism/Democracy
Zululand-Despotism/Democracy

The link is: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=69306
Old February 27, 2003, 11:43   #3
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 13:29
You created a lot of work for yourself, all you had to do was look in the editor. That info is in the Civilizations area. BTW, I wouldn't get to concerned about that aspect, even Firaxis has mentioned that those setting have very little influence in the game.
Old February 27, 2003, 12:25   #4
The Templar
Prince

Forget the shunned/preferred listings. They are meaningless. Basically, there are two types of government: peace-time (republic, democracy) and war time (monarchy, communism). The AI prefers the most advanced peace-time government, except during prolonged wars.

In my mod (link below), I added neoliberalism as a new government (communal corruption, no draft, max war weariness, commerce bonus) which is after democracy (radio is prerequisite). The AI players all invariably go neoliberal after they get the tech, switching only to communism during long wars. After the war, they always switch back.

A great question for firaxis would be how the AI differentiates peace-time from war-time governments. Does the AI only look at war weariness and commerce bonus (prioritizing commerce except when war weariness meets a threshold)? Does the AI care about worker bonus in democracy or corruption model? Again in my mod, neoliberalism has communal corruption but lacks the worker bonus, propoganda immunity, and conscription power under democracy. The AI, when not at war chooses neoliberalism over democracy. Does the AI really prefer the equalized corruption or does the AI always take the most technically advanced government with a commerce bonus? My intent in adding neoliberalism was to introduce a trade-off between the advantages of democracy and the communal corruption under neoliberalism. I am skeptical that the AI knows how to make this trade. If I am correct, then mod-makers should be aware of this.

Basically, I recommend viewing the governments in civ3 not as a trade-off between the economic models implied by democracy and communism (and neoliberalism if you are using my mod). Rather, view them as the stringency of social control exercised over the citizens. When not oppressed, commerce flourishes but the people get restless over wars.
Old March 3, 2003, 18:10   #5
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:29
Monarchy- war
Democracy-peace
Communism-desperately trying not to lose the war

That's it
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 4, 2003, 12:38   #6
minke19104
Warlord

Local Time: 20:29
I found it hillarious when I see America in Monarchy in my game after a long war in the Industrial ages....

Hmm.. maybe it's becoming true anyways (Two Bush presidents)..
Old March 4, 2003, 15:42   #7
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 17:29
Hey, Communism is good! At least there's no war weariness and no corruptions spread out in the empire.

Good, of course, for war times. Monarchy is not that good, compared to communism, in war times. Except for rushing things. MAN that's a difference...
Old March 4, 2003, 18:26   #8
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 12:29
Quote:
Originally posted by minke19104
I found it hillarious when I see America in Monarchy in my game after a long war in the Industrial ages....

Hmm.. maybe it's becoming true anyways (Two Bush presidents)..
Also, two Roosevelt presidents...

But considering that Clinton passed more laws by presidential fiat than any other in U.S. history, I'd say that he is more the harbinger of a coming American monarchy.

John
Old March 4, 2003, 22:00   #9
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 17:29
Well, at least he had a better external relations team than Bush son (or father).
Old March 5, 2003, 13:21   #10
minke19104
Warlord

Local Time: 20:29
Quote:
Originally posted by pedrojedi
Well, at least he had a better external relations team than Bush son (or father).
You mean external relations with his interns?
Old March 6, 2003, 17:34   #11
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 16:29
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Actually, preferred and shunned governments can play a meaningful role in AI civ's attitudes.

See Bamspeedy's masterful analysis at CFC.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.