Old February 27, 2001, 21:24   #1
mriswrith
Settler

Local Time: 22:54
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Newb needs help
hey, whenever I try to open a downloaded scenerio the comp gives me this message, "cannot open game: game not a saved file." I don't know what's up, I open the .scn file when I choose play scenerio. Help is appreciated.
Old February 28, 2001, 07:03   #2
the_orange1
Prince

Are you trying to open it as "Load game" rather than "Begin scenario"?
Old February 28, 2001, 07:07   #3
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

the man has said it - you should also ensure that you have the correct version of the game to match the scenario you wish to play ...

------------------
Scouse Git[1]

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old February 28, 2001, 10:29   #4
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 18:54
quote:

Originally posted by mriswrith on 02-27-2001 08:24 PM
hey, whenever I try to open a downloaded scenerio the comp gives me this message, "cannot open game: game not a saved file." I don't know what's up, I open the .scn file when I choose play scenerio. Help is appreciated.

Have you unzipped the scenario file? When you download from the net, the files are compressed in a program called 'zip'. If you don't have winzip (zip for windows), you can get it free. Just search for 'winzip' download. After you download the scenario you want, open the zip file and remove the files contained within it. The thing to do with windows is to make a folder on your desktop. Name it after the scenario you have downloaded. Place all the files you remove from the zip into this folder, except any with the designation .wav. These are sound files. Make a seperate folder for these, and it must be titled sound. Place this folder inside your scenario folder. When you have done all of this, start your civ-2 game, select scenario, but scroll down the area that says LOOK IN, and select desktop. then search the desktop, and you will see the folder which you named. Click on it, and it will open, and select the file that has a designation .scn. That is the scenario file. Some scenarios only work with fantastic worlds(usally because the author hex edits), and some only work with Multi-player Gold(because the events file is too long for FW to handle). When I first started to play scenarios, I had the problem you describe. I think this is the answer you need. If not, post again, and I'll try to help you get it working.

------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
Old March 1, 2001, 00:32   #5
mriswrith
Settler

thanks all. Well, I went back and tried a couple more of the scenerios i downloaded, and actually got one to play, so I am guessing that the problem is i dont have Gold edition or fantastic worlds (Cause i just patched my Civ2) so I just want to know if i can download fantastic worlds or not. (or even Gold, though I know you are supposed to buy it...)
appreciate the help