Old February 28, 2003, 10:18   #1
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The future of the StP project
The future of the Stella Polaris project has been unstable every now and then; especially now it's overall very fragile. However I don't yet see a good reason to fall in despair as we are still going forward, despite it's very slow compared to last year. I have prepared myself for the worst as things have been going rather bad, so frankly said I'm ready to call off the project at anytime, if it StP turns out as "GGS II." However I'm currently positive about the current situation, but I agree that much has to be done in order to keep the project going.

The imminent changes are that several SPDT members will be sacked for very inco-operative habits and some minor changes will be made. However the target is to keep the team about as large as before. Basically the idea is to maintain a team which isn't necessarily large, but at least active (not necesarily as extreme as Ace ). One thing that I want to stress is that everyone must be aware that the expectations for what will be achieved aren't that high as you may understand. I hope that by June or July we could start the alpha testing face with the Alpha 1 release. Hopefully we could by the end of the year celebrate Alpha 2 or 3. I also remind that if we end up in locked situation for weeks and months, there's no hesitation that I would be ready to call of the project, so I hope you take a such decision maturely and don't start to blackmail people.

Right, now I assume things are quite clear.
Old February 28, 2003, 18:29   #2
Rasbelin
Emperor

As the first measure, Alien and Carbaher will be suspended due to the fact that none of them have tried to be active. More suspensions might be planned soon.
Old February 28, 2003, 18:31   #3
Rasbelin
Emperor

Also notice that I will be from now on Project Manager and Frozzy will continue his work as Project Advisor, so small changes there too.
Old March 7, 2003, 23:54   #4
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 21:35
Keep going if you can.
Old March 8, 2003, 04:57   #5
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Local Time: 12:35
Oh we will try to keep going, but it more or less depends on if the coders start doing alot of work and start making progress. I however think this project wont die so fast as many are keen to get to work yet lack the expertise in coding.

MY OPINION: I think we need an experianced programmer that is good in OpenGL, C++, Graphics with C++, and object oriented programming, among other things. Or if its possible we need more than just one good experianced person, also we need the person(s) to do the work, but of course this is my opinion.

Well anyways thanks for the comment.
-J.B.-
Old March 18, 2003, 13:29   #6
Leland
Prince

Hmm... the website and forums seem to have been taken out. Is the project now officially disbanded, or is this just a temporary measure?
Old March 18, 2003, 13:46   #7
Rasbelin
Emperor

Expect an official statement within the next 24 hours. Thanks!
Old March 19, 2003, 14:55   #8
CapTVK
Civilization II MultiplayerPolyCast TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
King

Local Time: 20:35
"From ashes to ashes, from dust to dust."

So this is the end of the line?
Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer
Old March 19, 2003, 15:30   #9
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

tick tock tick tock..

24 hours passed, and i'm kinda curious what your statement will be
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old March 19, 2003, 15:50   #10
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 23:35
/me AOL!!!!s what Lemmy said *
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old March 19, 2003, 20:27   #11
Rasbelin
Emperor

24 -> 48
Old March 20, 2003, 03:32   #12
Joeno
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Let me just say that I am disappointed by the way this decision seems to be made by one man, and I hope that if this is Rasbey's final decision, that others will want to go on with the project under a different management.
Old March 20, 2003, 09:02   #13
Rasbelin
Emperor

The project is dead, Joeno.
Old March 20, 2003, 09:13   #14
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin
Was that the official statement?
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old March 20, 2003, 11:04   #15
Michiel
Chieftain

I don't like it.

There are people who put a lot of time into this project. There are a lot of ideas and stories. Don't let them go to waste.

Just because the project is 'sleeping', doesn't mean it's dead. What we need to do is actively search for dedicated coders.
Old March 20, 2003, 11:31   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

Lemmy,

the official statement is in the A/C forum.

Michiel,

I have done that for 8-9 months on many sites and communities, but no greater success. Sorry, but I'm not going to do that for ages.
Old March 20, 2003, 13:05   #17
Joeno
Chieftain

Quote:
That's what you say. I'm sure there's many others who disagree, as was evident from the activity still going on in, say, the Coding Quarters.

I repeat, I hope I'm not the only one in thinking this project was killed by only a few people who were not involved in the coding process, and that we can still do something, and that together, we will still be able to create something. Without some resources we had earlier, but that we can at least do something.
Old March 20, 2003, 13:08   #18
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

...i am in for well anything almost...i put some of my bunnyenegry in this project....so i am in for something
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old March 20, 2003, 13:36   #19
Rasbelin
Emperor

As for the coding, I've never seen a single line of code or anything by you, Joeno. You were only posting 6 times on SPF, out of which 2 were about some concept; the rest was whining.
Old March 20, 2003, 13:43   #20
Joeno
Chieftain

Quote:
As for the coding, I've never seen a single line of code or anything by you, Joeno. You were only posting 6 times on SPF, out of which 2 were about some concept; the rest was whining.
And you have made more posts about some concept?

Anyway, I have not said I should lead the project, or that I have to help, or whatever. I just said it's a shame that it has been killed off in such a way, and that I am sure this shouldn't have been the end, and I'm trying to get it working further.
Old March 20, 2003, 13:49   #21
Rasbelin
Emperor

Who made the concept archive? Who asked people to check several threads so that they could comment, so that he could have added them to the archive? That was me. I have BTW proposed several minor ideas and discussed ones, so I have participated in that too.
Old March 20, 2003, 23:05   #22
Jeremy Buloch
Prince

Local Time: 12:35
[Edit: Accidental post, please delete. Thanks .]

Last edited by Jeremy Buloch; March 20, 2003 at 23:16.