Old May 4, 2001, 22:41   #1
qZERO
Settler

Local Time: 05:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Where can I buy a copy of Alien Crossfire???
I recently purchased a copy of Alpha Centauri and downloaded the Alien Crossfire demo. I can't find a copy of the complete version of the expansion anywhere (retail or internet). Does anyone know where I can find it?
Old May 5, 2001, 07:51   #2
pope
Settler

I just bought Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack.
Found it in the $10 bin. It contains both SMAC and
Alien Crossfire.

I am in Denmark BTW.
Old May 5, 2001, 09:45   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 22:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
qZERO:

Out west we have them at Staples at $9.99.

Your nearest is:

1300 St. Peter Avenue, Bathurst Mall Bathurst NB
tel (506) 545-9060

(I looked in their catalogue, but they don't list it as an order item as it is just the shrink-wrapped disk edition - i.e. not boxed, but on a cdrom games rack)

If no luck, e-mail me your addy and I'll pick one up and mail it to you - you can send me a cheque in return.

Good luck,

Googlie
Old May 5, 2001, 13:26   #4
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
holy crap! i just came here to post the same thread. i can only find it at EA.com and its $35 american(ouch!)
Old May 6, 2001, 00:37   #5
qZERO
Settler

Thanks, I'll keep looking.

Oh look, an advertisement for it in the banner. Too bad it's out of stock
Old May 7, 2001, 16:16   #6
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 00:13
I just bought a copy on eBay. There have been copies offered for sale on eBay fairlly continuously for the last month or so. The final prices seem to have varied from say $20 - $50. Given some luck, some patience (and perhaps a little time to get used to that price range), you can probably find a deal you are comfortable with.

Prior to that, I looked around quite a bit to no avail. The closest seem to be the Chips & Bits people (who have banners on this site) and EA (the publisher) itself, both of whom are only talking "backorder". I had a copy backordered with EA for over a month without any word from them. On a post somewhere about a month ago, I read that the poster had communicated with EA somehow and had been given to believe that any new batch of Alien Crossfire would not be forthcoming for up to 6 weeks. I don't know what, if anything that would mean, but it is strange that Firaxis (the designers) is currently offering SMAX only for the Mac.

The "Classic Edition" of Alpha Centauri is readily (and cheaply) available, but I'm pretty sure that it does not include the Alien Crossfire expansion (I believe it is probably the SMAC Patch 4 version).

Having ended up with the version that has both games on one CD, I'm wondering what that means in terms of what I need to do to install. Particularly, I wonder if I have to Uninstall SMAC (I currently have patch 4 installed) which may vaguely be implied in the install guide, or if I just pop in the CD and see what happens. Also, will I know if I need to install SMAX patch 2 or not and if so how? Thanks for any available help.
Old May 7, 2001, 17:05   #7
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

When a game is loaded, hitting ctl and F4 will tell you what version you have.
Old May 7, 2001, 18:14   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

i was in kingston on the weekend and i couldn't find it in future shop, 2 different staples/buisness depots or 2 computer stores in the mall. one guy said that they're discontinuing it because it was too old (?) but most people hadn't even heard of it. plus the place where i got smac from hadn't heard of it either. john when you say $20 that means US right? cuz that's like $35 canadian but im so desperate right now i'll pay that for it.
[This message has been edited by TKG (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old May 7, 2001, 18:53   #9
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 00:13
TKG, thats right, US dollars.
Old May 7, 2001, 20:37   #10
Googlie
Emperor

Hmmm - sounds like I should buy out the 1/2 dozen copies the Vancouver Staples has and offer them thru these forums at cost plus postage as a service to deprived smac'ers

Googlie
Old May 7, 2001, 21:16   #11
theohall
Warlord

Local Time: 23:13
have you tried www.compuexpert.com

They usually have this in stock.
Old May 8, 2001, 17:51   #12
Method
Emperor

im trying an international video game pirate...

don't tell anyone!