Old March 23, 2003, 13:06   #301
dudemanjack
Warlord

Local Time: 16:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Giovanni Wine

Also order many quality upgrades, but if you have problems with your unemployment, stop ordering effectivity upgrades, that way your corps will hire more workers.

Saluti
Adding on this: if you have a lot of high level workers but close to no low level workers, effectivity upgrades are just what you need.
Old March 23, 2003, 14:55   #302
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
ok, I am building my offensive airbase, and military base, and I want to share with you a very big question.

What's the distance through which I can attack? is it 15 contries, as I saw somewhere, or should it border me?

in any case, my doubts vary between:
"Dragonisia"
and "The Republic of Mindao". Whatdaya think?
Old March 23, 2003, 15:31   #303
dudemanjack
Warlord

Good way to get some more LLW's: Close your potassium corporation, freeing up 40,000 low level workers
Old March 23, 2003, 15:34   #304
dudemanjack
Warlord

I'd go with the one that was next to you (if either of them are), because you can use your land forcers. Otherwise you can't. If they are both out of range, I'd go for the computer controlled country (or both..but the computer one first). They are both VERY nice.
Old March 23, 2003, 15:35   #305
dudemanjack
Warlord

Well...not VERY nice, but the POPULATION is very nice
Old March 23, 2003, 16:13   #306
Az
Emperor

actually, Dragonisia is pretty nice. Assets=1.4 TrilE

but I like my "Potassium Mining Society".

I am also considering taking the country directly to my east. The one with the Stalin pic. The country to my south is, a country of Giovanni's brother, so I think that in a year or so, he will be strong enough to do a little gig with me.
Old March 23, 2003, 16:29   #307
dudemanjack
Warlord

Sounds good. I also checked the budget of the country that has their war indices secret...only $1B/month in military, so it can't be THAT large of a military.

There's a couple of player countries around me in a federation...they don't seem very strong so maybe I'll be able to take them out (after I have secured 3-4 other countries).
Old March 23, 2003, 16:46   #308
Az
Emperor

He only made it secret a couple of months ago. I am aware of the situation. His economy is bum****ed for quite a while.

I have 16.9 in nuke index, and a 53.5 defence.

Time to grow the offencive index.
What is the size of forces needed? I Was thinking 800 tanks, 800 arty, 100 Jetfighters, and 500 attack gunships. as well as a nuke missile attack on his territory.
Old March 23, 2003, 22:39   #309
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
You can attack any country with 20 longatude and latitude of your country. The link I put on the previous page can show you all the countries within attacking range of yours, including many stats of the potential victims.

You can't buy ships. Alas.

If his territory is right next to yours, buy massive amounts of tanks and just roll over him. Make sure to have plenty of tank ammo though. You should check on the simcountry boards for how many tanks are a good offensive, but I think you should aim somewhere above 2000 tanks. Bear in mind I haven't conducted a land war yet.

If his territory is not right next to you, you will have to attack with missiles and/or flying units. Attack helicopters are very nice provided they have fighter support. Again, make sure you have plenty of ammo though, because nothing is worse than getting halfway through an attack and running out of ammo.

In other news, my attack has kind of stalled, on account of not having enough ammo.
I have destroyed all the corps that are significantly in debt and other corps that I just didn't want (quality upgrade companies :shudder, and destroyed their airport and barracks so at least they won't be getting any reinforcements.

Meanwhile, I have lost almost half my helicopter force. Most of the losses occured before I destroyed the enemies inteceptors, and now I seem to be losing only 10-20 per attack compared to 600-900. I'm buying more weapons while I wait for ammo to arrive.
Old March 23, 2003, 22:56   #310
dudemanjack
Warlord

what is the minimum amount of offense/strategic index needed to declare war? I have a lot of offensive units but I'm not getting my index up that much.
Old March 23, 2003, 22:57   #311
dudemanjack
Warlord

also: is there a specific item that increases it a lot?
Old March 23, 2003, 23:56   #312
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I don't think your index matters a whole lot. Just attempt to declare war - it should work.
Old March 24, 2003, 00:24   #313
dudemanjack
Warlord

It won't work. I've been trying.
Old March 24, 2003, 10:05   #314
Az
Emperor

Quote:
There's a couple of player countries around me in a federation...they don't seem very strong so maybe I'll be able to take them out (after I have secured 3-4 other countries).
Same here. "the defensive alliance" pfft.
Old March 24, 2003, 16:08   #315
dudemanjack
Warlord

To all those that have been able to delcare war: Please tell me what your defense, offense, and strategic indices were so I know what I need. Thanks
Old March 24, 2003, 17:39   #316
Skanky Burns

What does it say when you try to attack?
You might be trying to attack someone who joined recently - you can't declare war on people for a certain period of time after they join.
Another problem might be you can only attack someone who is within a radius of 20 around your country.
Apart from that, there are no other restrictions to declaring war.

I'm guessing the first is the problem here.

For interests sake though, my def is ~80, off ~50 and strat ~3.
Old March 24, 2003, 18:16   #317
dudemanjack
Warlord

Here's what it says when I try to declare war:

Your country is in no shape to start a war.
Be smart and build up your economy and offensive forces before you start a war.

My economy is fine...My offense is only in the 20's and defense is in the 40's...guessing that's the problem. Offense index goes up sooooo slow though. I am in range (it is a land neighbor).

Anti Aircraft Missile Batteries 300
Military Airport 2
Military Base 1
Bombers 162
Fighter Planes 100
Heavy Armored Vehicles 150
Heavy Artillery 3,800
Heavy Jeeps 400
Heavy Tanks 1,250

I also have a ton of ammo for everything that needs it, plus more tanks coming in soon.
Old March 24, 2003, 18:28   #318
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:42
Why are you guys voting to make Franit Empire the new chairman?

I'd give my vote on Tantallon and Skanky as they're better players than I am, but if I'm going to be elected I'll accept and thank in advance those who wanted it
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 24, 2003, 19:43   #319
Skanky Burns

I can't find anything on the boards about index restrictions.

Just build up a bit more.
Old March 25, 2003, 00:33   #320
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 22:42
Just started a country in White Giant: Menca.

I think got a fairly good one, 5,7 million population, 87% employment, 98% capacity utilisation, 62% finance...(the previous country I started with had over 70% unemployment and over 400B in debt )

A couple of trouble spots: education is well developed, index 102.5, but it's costing me a shitload of money and I'm suffering from a shortage of low and med workers. It sounds nuts but I'm considering closing a couple of hundreds of elementary schools to free up some cash.
One big reason to do this is because I have a deficit that seemingly can't be fixed instantly. Another is a time-bomb in the form of a electric utility that has 110B in debt, has only 2B cash and is making losses. If it doesn't go bankrupt, I'll probably shut down it anyway. (but I'll try to fix things by refinancing its debt at a lower interest rate - if I can replace all the current loans by loans against 4%, it should make a profit - any of you guys willing to provide some cash? )
A third reason is that I need to upgrade by transportation, 55.8 is a little too low to my taste.

Last edited by Colon™; March 25, 2003 at 01:02.
Old March 25, 2003, 01:06   #321
Colon™
Emperor

Question: is best price a bad strategy to sell your stuff? I'm too lazy to micromanage the whole shebang, just want to get rid of the junk I produce.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old March 25, 2003, 01:35   #322
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 12:42
If you are not too lazy to spend a couple minutes every day:

In demand (red bar): quality - 100 + 13
[example: 130 quality = 43]

Not in demand (green bar): quality - 100 - 1
[example: 130 quality = 29]

If you are just that lazy, then put everything at quality - 1 and leave it, with a 5% deduct per month.

M

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Old March 25, 2003, 02:30   #323
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

dudemanjack - on the subject of trying to start a war, has the 36 month guaranteed peace ended yet?
Old March 25, 2003, 02:55   #324
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Malleus
If you are not too lazy to spend a couple minutes every day:

In demand (red bar): quality - 100 + 13
[example: 130 quality = 43]

Not in demand (green bar): quality - 100 - 1
[example: 130 quality = 29]
Thanks for the advice, but what exactly am I supposed to do with the 43 and 29?
Old March 25, 2003, 04:39   #325
Az
Emperor

use the time based strategy, you start with 43, (or 29 if the market is flooded) above the market price.

If you do become very high on unsold products, then lower the price.

Actually, I get rid of all the stock using "best price", in such occasions. But don't be like me, I am a loser.
Old March 25, 2003, 04:41   #326
Az
Emperor

ugh, 62% finance. let me take a look at that wound.
Old March 25, 2003, 04:44   #327
Az
Emperor

OK, amazingly enough, I urge you to cut back some on education, and health, while upgrading, and changing trade prices for your corporation.

I must say that the country is a bad shape.
I've got a country near me that has a better potential that my own, and a great country overall, "The Republic of Mandao", as it is called now. So abandon this one, and move to that one. Or do you like the challenge?
Old March 25, 2003, 08:07   #328
dudemanjack
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
dudemanjack - on the subject of trying to start a war, has the 36 month guaranteed peace ended yet?
Yep.
Old March 25, 2003, 09:08   #329
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:42
Berlin Air in Franit Empire needs a contract for luxury goods, 20 per month
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 25, 2003, 11:41   #330
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
use the time based strategy, you start with 43, (or 29 if the market is flooded) above the market price.

If you do become very high on unsold products, then lower the price.

Actually, I get rid of all the stock using "best price", in such occasions. But don't be like me, I am a loser.
Ah I see. Is it ok use a monthly decrease of 5% from the beginning?

Quote:
OK, amazingly enough, I urge you to cut back some on education, and health, while upgrading, and changing trade prices for your corporation.
I already closed 200 schools, but I may close another 200 if my finances don't improve sufficiently.

Quote:
I must say that the country is a bad shape.
I've got a country near me that has a better potential that my own, and a great country overall, "The Republic of Mandao", as it is called now. So abandon this one, and move to that one. Or do you like the challenge?
I'll stick to this one, thanks.