Old March 30, 2003, 03:43   #421
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Congrats DMJ!

A Fed war maybe in order, but I want to let others build up their economies first, and also to experience war first-hand before having everyone commit themselves to a war. Particularly one where they could get hit back.
Old March 30, 2003, 03:53   #422
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just let me control a couple of countries first.
Old March 30, 2003, 05:54   #423
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 21:42
Yup me too, I want to control some countries around first (I already looked over the map searching for some high asset , low war ranking nations)

Also let me help my bro's in his economy build up a bit, and he will be able to help us as well, his country has potential, and could be a valid ally if given some time.

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old March 30, 2003, 06:10   #424
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Don't worry, I won't force people into a war they don't want. Besides, you all need to vote for it if we are going to war.

Not to mention I am still in the middle of a war.
Good news for me though, the country's war index is down in the 20's. The lowest it went after my first large attack was 70 or so. Soon....
Old March 30, 2003, 06:24   #425
Az
Emperor

You know Giovanni, If you want to get rid of managing your brother's country, I can always help you.
Old March 30, 2003, 06:36   #426
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I don't really have time to take part in wars right now, I'm currently trying to rebuild my country's woeful education system and then cut down on the national debt.
Old March 30, 2003, 06:51   #427
Az
Emperor

My advice: national debt first, country education later. unless the education is in REALLY BAD shape. then fix the education a bit, utilize the new proffessionals, and then move out against the debt problem. don't forget to cut down on welfare in the process.
Old March 30, 2003, 06:59   #428
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

The education state currently is only about half the optimum number of universities and one quarter of the optimum number of high schools.
Old March 30, 2003, 07:13   #429
Az
Emperor

what's the index?
If it's above 50, take care of the debt first.
Old March 30, 2003, 07:24   #430
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

It's at 40.3, or thereabouts. Still not a bad improvement from when I started off (it was at about 30-35, IIRC).
Old March 30, 2003, 07:32   #431
Az
Emperor

get it to 50, then take care of your economy ( which should take care of the debt)
Old March 30, 2003, 07:43   #432
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Any particular tips on how to take care of the economy after that? Just start up some profitable corps and such?

And would it be at all worth trying to restore the health of the transport system (which has only about 3000 miles of road when it needs 11 000)?
Old March 30, 2003, 07:50   #433
Az
Emperor

read the other threads, consult pros.

I am not a pro, I am a measely warmonger.
Old March 30, 2003, 07:51   #434
Az
Emperor

oh, and before building new corps, try to fix the ones you've already got.
Old March 30, 2003, 08:10   #435
Az
Emperor

ok took a look at your country. The highlight of that short visit was the finance department.

Your finance sucks, plain and simple. you owe people 600Bil$, while having >300Bil$ in cash? You pay around a quarter of your monthly budget as interest. I suggest that you return around 250 Bil$, esp. those 15% interests loans to the vampirical world bank. It seems that those interest payments are the ones that tip the balance of the budget against you.

then, improve your economics, by following the advices in regards to improving corporations, as seen in threads. Also, ask other people. In the same time that you improve your corps in various ways, move on education. I see that you already prioritized highly teachers and **** like that.

ONLY THEN, AND IF THE STEPS ARE EFFECTIVE AT COMBATING THOSE PROBLEMS, you can allow yourself to do whatever you want to do next. My recommendations:

1)Increasing the amount of roads in your country, with hops of ~500miles, each month or two. No scratch that, each month, a hop of ~700.
2)Build needed corps smartly, to combat unemployment. Unemployment shouldn't be a problem in this game, at all. There is always **** that you can do with your people. I currently lack LOW QUALITY WORKERS, and have 3% unemployment, and that SUCKS.

Follow steps 1) and 2) at the same time.

Then when your assets value will sit at >1400Bill, we can begin talking offence. Make these long time plans, and thoughts, by taking a look at countries that surround you. sadly, I don't see any REALLY weak countries that you could attack, in the next 2-3 years. But maybe I am wrong.
Old March 30, 2003, 09:31   #436
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Quote:
Your finance sucks, plain and simple. you owe people 600Bil$, while having >300Bil$ in cash? You pay around a quarter of your monthly budget as interest. I suggest that you return around 250 Bil$, esp. those 15% interests loans to the vampirical world bank. It seems that those interest payments are the ones that tip the balance of the budget against you.
I'm dealing with this right now, and I've gotten rid of the really outrageous ones. I'm now moving on to the others, although I'll probably leave the ones with 4-6% interest for now.

Quote:
then, improve your economics, by following the advices in regards to improving corporations, as seen in threads. Also, ask other people. In the same time that you improve your corps in various ways, move on education. I see that you already prioritized highly teachers and **** like that.
Yeah, that was basically the first thing I did. I've managed to start moving towards a vaguely satisfactory number of universities, and the number of high schools is increasing at a nice clip, though it will take a while to hit the optimum number.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have problems setting up any kind of new corps, due to a big shortage of low level managers.
Old March 30, 2003, 09:57   #437
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 16:42
Alright, Azazel Comrade, what do you recommend to help out my economy with? I'm shutting down my worthless corporations (and man, do they rack up debt).

On the side, I would've thought it would be funny if you gave your neighbor an ultimatium of 48 hrs to remove the flag and Stalin, or "Face a coalition of the willing to remove your despotic regime"
Old March 30, 2003, 10:29   #438
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Alright, Azazel Comrade, what do you recommend to help out my economy with? I'm shutting down my worthless corporations (and man, do they rack up debt).
I am devising a plan as we speak.

Quote:
On the side, I would've thought it would be funny if you gave your neighbor an ultimatium of 48 hrs to remove the flag and Stalin, or "Face a coalition of the willing to remove your despotic regime"
No. That way, we would lose the elements of surprise.
Old March 30, 2003, 10:57   #439
dudemanjack
Warlord

Here's something kinda cool. When I attacked yesterday, the country had a defense index of 61. I took it over...and it has a defense index of 58.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:04   #440
Az
Emperor

Ok Lonestar:

First thing, return all 15% interest loans!

And then, RETURN SOME MORE LOANS! you've got almost a Tril$ Debt, and 600Bil in cash.

Leave yourself around 150-200 Bil$, you'll need them for the construction effort ahead.

You've got a strong finance, generally.

Your education sucks. BIG TIME.

Build another 4 Universities, raise educational priorities for both teachers, and university teachers.

Also, generally, the amount of education priority points doesn't add up to the maximum number so , increase everything to the same level, 10, and then, increase the educational teachers and uni teachers to 50. both of them.

As you get enough teachers to build new educational facilities, build them up gradually, constanlty building the maximum educational facilities you can staff. If you don't have enough, DONT BUILD THEM! The schools will be simply demolished afterwards.

Transportation:
Build 1000 of miles of rail road, and 1000 miles or road, per month, until you reach a level that is required for roads, and a +1500 miles from the level that is required for railroads.

Build a 12-15 Water treatement facilities, for the first stage. after a while, build the rest needed.

THE CORPORATIONS:

You've got a VERY low unemployment index. 1.5% That is EXTREMELY low. You'll need to close some corps, to enlarge the public sector.

On the corporations, have rather simple rules that guide you:
-If a corp. is loosing money, and is worth less than a Bil$, try to fix it (explained later on) for a couple of months. If you don't succeed, close it.
-There is a bar showing the status of the commodity of the world market. if the bar is red, and large, it means that the commodity is in much demand. If the bar is very small, green or red, it means that the market is about balanced for the product. If the bar is green and large, it means that the market is overflowed with supply for this product.
WARNING: YOU CANNOT SEE THAT BAR IF YOU'RE USING OPERA AS YOUR BROWSER. USE IE.

-your products come out with certain quality. ( search for "Quality Of The Product:" ) That quality is dependant on a few factors, I know only one of them, to be honest, and this is the amount of the quality upgrades. When you're offering your product on the free market, generally, offer it for:
MARKET PRICE+(QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT-100)
. that means, that when you change the trade strategy, change the Sale strategy for Time Based, and put the products on the market with the addition of the quality. If, say, the quality of the product is 136, put it on market price, plus 36%.

This can change if the product is in great demand ( big red bar,) or is oversupplied: ( big green bar). If the product is in great demand, put the price tag a tad higher( another 13%), if it is in great supply, put it lower. ( the guys here recommended lowering by 13%, but I usually lower by around 25, and sometimes even use the "Best Price" tradestrategy ).

This seems to be about all. If someone has something to add, don't be ashamed of it.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:06   #441
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Here's something kinda cool. When I attacked yesterday, the country had a defense index of 61. I took it over...and it has a defense index of 58
IIRC correctly, you only have to capture the capital.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:09   #442
Lonestar
inmate
King

[helpless] Alright, where do I return the loans?[/helpless]
Old March 30, 2003, 11:10   #443
dudemanjack
Warlord

It's amazing what happens to your low level worker and middle level manager availability when 80% of your offensive weapons are destroyed.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:15   #444
dudemanjack
Warlord

Lonestar: Click the "loans" button on the left..towards the bottom.

Azazel: I don't think just taking the capital works. Plus, it's the most heavily defended place (or at least most heavily defended city). I just destroyed fortifications, military airport/base. After that, the war situation index was down to 5.6. I finished it off with some city attacks.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:26   #445
dudemanjack
Warlord

My recently conquered country has only 30% of the population employed. I am STILL relatively close to balancing the budget.
Old March 30, 2003, 11:34   #446
Lonestar
inmate
King

Good job.

So, do you guys vote to let me in, or does the Chairman do that?
Old March 30, 2003, 12:07   #447
Az
Emperor

the chairman invites you. send a PM to either Datajack Franit on apolyton, or "Franit Empire" in simcountry.

you return the loans under "Loans" on the left side on the screen.
Old March 30, 2003, 15:16   #448
dudemanjack
Warlord

Important!

I got a message in my newly conquered nation saying:

Civil Unrest
Observers fear the government will not last much longer.
Thu Feb 1, 2124 The people of Revillon are protesting against the lack of business opportunity in their country. They demand that the government do more to promote business activities.

I have severe middle level manager shortages. I have an idea...disband the defense forces left behind. Hopefully it will work (I also raised education priority to 99 on MLM's)
Old March 30, 2003, 15:32   #449
dudemanjack
Warlord

Arggg, can't disband because "my defenses are too weak". I guess that's true since I conquered the place without even destroying any defenses...I guess I'll have to sell them to Mentop $6B at a time...

EDIT: This is actually good because now I can effectively transfer in more than the $8B/month limit into my new country. (I also can't just transfer the weapons out because the debt is too high).
Old March 30, 2003, 15:33   #450
Az
Emperor

you cannot disband the defence below a certain index, IIRC.