Old March 6, 2003, 08:47   #91
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 21:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So declare war to someone before abandoning it
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 10:42   #92
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 20:42
Almost all my corporations are making a profit now and Ubinia is projecting more income then cost this year.

Do It Ourselves

Last edited by General Ludd; March 6, 2003 at 10:53.
Old March 6, 2003, 11:12   #93
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Anyone knows what are the negative aspects of lowering budget of education, health and transportation?
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 14:12   #94
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 22:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Datajack Franit
So declare war to someone before abandoning it
I got no offense, so pretty diffecult to have war...
Old March 6, 2003, 14:34   #95
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Unsubscribe then, so the whole place won't turn in a shithole

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 15:14   #96
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Hostilities between Franit Empire and BooX Backyard
Thu Feb 26, 2120 Franit Empire army attacks city of Dagger City
On the side of BooX Backyard there were 12899 casualties and 38698 people were wounded. Dagger City is severely damaged. On the BooX Backyard side no weapon losses were reported. The Franit Empire forces lost 68 attack helicopters, 8 heavy artillery and 1 nuclear missile battery

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 16:11   #97
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 23:42
OK, fudge it, I am going back.

What world are you guys playing, and where/who are you?
Old March 6, 2003, 17:09   #98
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

War is such a mess! I wasted hundreds of airforce because that damn capital had super air defence

Azazel- White world, any place with a decent economy is ok, check the financial situation first

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 17:15   #99
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 07:42
Local Date: November 2, 2010
White Giant world

What were they defending their cities with? Apparently fighters take out interceptors, helis take out all land-based units. I don't have the option to attack with anything else (besides nukes) though, as my target country is very distant.

Next month (any minute now, as it near the end of the month) I will start my first offencive. Amazingly, the country I declared war on had a defence index of around 34. After declaration, it rocketed up to 45. Today, it went crashing back to 4.
Theres nothing like a country that defeats itself for you!

Azazel: Try to find a country with many people - like above 10 million. The more people you have, the more you will be able to do with them.
Old March 6, 2003, 17:20   #100
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Looks like the red-spotted metropolises are all anti aircraft missile batteries strongholds- I ordered massive amounts of missile batteries, cruises and tactical nukes. Just remember that sending 300 interceptors and 500 attack helicopters to a well defended city will turn into a slaugher, send nukes, missiles, tanks, then eventually the aircraft to crash their missiles and their defences

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 18:05   #101
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Remember that you'll have to destroy BOTH his defensive index and his war index (sum of infrastructures, cities, industries)

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 6, 2003, 18:32   #102
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

The problem is that my tiny force of tanks can't travel that far - I'm attacking a country on the other side of the island, some 5 countries away from me. I only have my airforce available. Fortunately, they seem to have destroyed most of their weapon systems for me, so just massacring them shouldn't pose a problem.

I'll see how I go, anyway.

Many areas have no defenders - even major cities.
Its March though and I still can't attack.
Old March 6, 2003, 21:21   #103
Skanky Burns

Okay, my attack is underway, and seems to be going well. So far I have lost 48 attack helicopters, but they have lost much more than that. Full report to follow. Weee!!
Old March 6, 2003, 22:51   #104
Skanky Burns

Victory!

My new country (The Empires Slave NoCEOs) is now under my control. After a series of raids which saw all fortifications, several (useless) corporations and a large chunk of Caladon's military destroyed, Caladon surrendered.

Losses for Caladon is estimated at 196,000 people, with over 600,000 injured. The Empire also had some losses, with 69 helicopters failing to return, and 1 strategic bomber. I expended about 14,000 land missiles, 500 air-to-air, and around 15 hydrogen bombs.

With Caladon renamed to The Empires Slave, its population of (now) just under 4 million people are mine. I plan to transfer 25,000 of them each month to my main country, but as a challenge I have decided to build up this secondary country too. At the moment it is woefully pathetic, with 90 B$ damage, and a 5 B$ budget.
Old March 7, 2003, 00:29   #105
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 12:42
I have started a nation on White Giant called Riis. PLEASE help me get up and running!

In all seriousness, I seem to be moving up the charts, which tells me I have gotten the hang of some aspects. The player guides presuppose a lot of knowledge and are very unclear. I am interested in your ideas about pricing.

I have 2 specific questions:

1) Can presidents transfer money between companies like CEOs can? If not that, how can I ditch their extra money, as it is useless!

2) When the guide says I should price "quality plus 13" what does that mean? Does that mean a quality 130 company shoudl charge 43% over base?!?

Also, my 4-6th graders have started a nation above mine, and we are federating so we can help each other (this is attached to a government lesson I am giving). I would normally have asked to join your Federation, but instead can we establish peaceful relations?

K
(President Steve Williams of the nation of Riis)

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Old March 7, 2003, 01:10   #106
Skanky Burns

1) No. The only way around that is possibly taxing the corporations or increasing the profit payments to 100% for a single month. Of course, this affects ALL the corporations in your country.

2) If your goods quality is 130 and you charge 43 above market, then other corps will see your goods as expensive. Don't be surprised if they don't sell well. If you charge 29 above market, then corps will see your goods as a bargain, and be more likely to buy them.
If you charge 30 above market for goods that are 130 quality, it is the same as charging market price for 100 quality goods - they are both equally likely to be bought.

The best way to see what works related to buying and selling prices is to check what the top corporations are doing.

3) Besides a peace treaty (which guarantees that we won't attack you) there isn't really any formal way to express support between your federation and ours. However, if your federation comes under attack from a third party, I pledge my military to aid you. Others from the Apolyton federation will undoubtably do the same.
Old March 7, 2003, 01:17   #107
Skanky Burns

And checking your country out now:

You have 6 services companies. Excellent!
The construction company will be useful in case of a war too.

You have an Anti Aircraft Missiles company - kill it now. (3 B$ loss last year)
Ditto Highschools.

Upgrading quality and efficiency in the rest of your companies will increase their worth and profitability. You can probably also start more corporations with your newly free workers too.
Old March 7, 2003, 02:56   #108
Malleus
NationStates
Warlord

Local Time: 12:42
I inherited four services with the country, and built 2 right away even before I read one of the faqs floating around.

I intend to float my AA missile factory for a while; I am buying up all of it's production.

As for the high school factory, I am doing the same. I am building back up my high schools on the theory that as I get more teachers they will die back to a reasonable level instead of building back up from the really low level they are at.

Thank you for your support. Hopefully you can support my student's country of Radsu also. They haven't looked at it yet, I just finished registering for it.

My students have it tougher than us. They have to elect a President to do the mouse work, then the other get selected by the president to be his cabinet: Minsters of Human Services, Finance, and Transportation (Home Office), and Ministers of Defense, Foreign Relations and Trade (Foreign Office). We've already had our coalition almost break just from trying to name the capitol

Oh, one more question: I have been having all of my companies making fixed deals with the country to sell their products to the country. Is this standard policy? It's taking me a while to set up

K

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.
Old March 7, 2003, 03:06   #109
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 08:42
I'm worried my prices are too high. I'm not selling anything. Help!
Old March 7, 2003, 04:04   #110
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Frozzy- turn prices down then

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 7, 2003, 06:03   #111
Skanky Burns

It is an absolute pain trying to keep up with your countries purchasing habits without using contracts. Particularly as you quickly reach the purchasing limit before being able to get decent stock levels for each item. When I first started, I was checking stock levels each and every day - if I missed even one day my country would have shortages.

To cut a long story short, contracts to your country are definately worth it, and will save you much time after they are set up. I normally have the contracts for 99 months so I don't have to worry about them for a long time, and have contracts for virtually all the product types.

A word of warning though. Don't attempt to get your companies fulfilling each others supply needs. It is a massive amount of work with very little reward. Let your companies take care of themselves.

That is a very interesting idea re: your students running the country. Keep us informed of their progress.

Frozzy: The market goes in cycles. Every so often the demand for a certain product goes through the roof and your entire stock will be sold. The next three months you won't be able to move a single unit. Then the month after that, you can't sell them fast enough. As long as your prices are relatively near the products quality level, it should be alright. You could probably get away with reducing your % of price reduction per month.
I have mine reducing at 1% per month, and they eventually get sold (all in one lot when the demand for that product picks up).

Last edited by Skanky Burns; March 7, 2003 at 06:14.
Old March 7, 2003, 06:07   #112
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

This is a stupid question but what are the negative effects of shortages?

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 7, 2003, 06:15   #113
Skanky Burns

For companies:
You don't produce stuff, so you don't get an income.
You still pay staff wages and interest on loans.

For countries - I have no idea.
I think it might reduce your welfare index, and hence your score. There are probably other effects too.
Old March 7, 2003, 06:28   #114
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

I guess I can let my peasants die starving then

Asher on molly bloom
Old March 7, 2003, 06:35   #115
Skanky Burns

I'm "experimenting" with complete neglect of my new country - just as long as my corporations are chugging along and fresh deliveries of warm bodies are flowing into my main country, I'll be happy.

Some research on its effects wouldn't go astray though. I'll report back here if I find anything relevant.
Old March 7, 2003, 07:13   #116
Skanky Burns

"If those product shortages are for citizen consumption don't even need to bother. No effects."
Apparently the shortages don't do a think.

Although I do have a slightly happier find to report.
http://jinson.ath.cx:8012/sc/index.php
This page allows you to search the database for different countries/corps that meet your specific criteria. So say you wanted an empty country that had a population above 13 million, you could search for that.

There are dozens of free countries with population over 18 million, btw.
Old March 7, 2003, 13:23   #117
Az
Emperor

OK, I am going in..
Old March 7, 2003, 16:32   #118
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 08:42
Thanks Skanky
Old March 7, 2003, 18:27   #119
Az
Emperor

say, do I need to improve my corps. all the time?
Old March 7, 2003, 18:34   #120
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Nah, once a year is ok

If you have money to spend, then, it's ok

Asher on molly bloom