Old March 1, 2003, 13:21   #1
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
trying to get back into civ3... what's the current mod situation?
i'm posting this here on advice from #apolyton. while i realize the danger in basing any decision on the word of an irc channel... i didn't have any better ideas.

what are the popular mods for civ3, if any? i don't really want to serially exhaust the choices available, as there seem to be a lot of them.

i'm sort of looking for something like there was for ctp - that is, a recommended set of mods to install to improve and round out the game. when last i played civ3, i was greatly enjoying plutarck's lwc mod, but that seems to have died last april. it fleshed out the game quite nicely, but... oh well.

can someone recommend some mods to check out?

also, how does ptw affect the situation? i don't have it yet, but if i do get back into civ3 (and get a friend back into it), i'll quite possibly want to play multiplayer, and i'd like to know how that affects decisions wrt to mods.
Old March 1, 2003, 16:55   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 15:43
The one thing I will say about PTW and mods is that it makes it a lot simpler and safer to switch between them than regular Civ3.

What are you looking for in a mod? Balance? The kitchen sink? Unusual Settings? Graphics? If you can answer that we might be able to steer you better.
Old March 1, 2003, 19:27   #3
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 22:43
I would recommend upgrading to patch 1.29f to fix some bugs and annoying features, if you havent done that already. Then I could recommend the AU 106 mod, which you can find in the strategy forum on Apolyton. That mod is very similar to the vanilla CIV3 but makes the AI smarter and the game more balanced.
Old March 1, 2003, 19:43   #4
pauli
Prince

Local Time: 16:43
i'd say i'm looking for balance and fleshing out (as needed). i tend to find the stock unit and building options a bit sparse, or at the very least, i like well thought out additions.