Old May 13, 2001, 05:45   #1
Akaoz
Prince

Local Time: 05:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
MultiPlayer difficulties (esp for AI-player)
What does the global difficulty setting in MultiPlayer do?
And what is the difference between it and the difficulty setting for each player?

Eps. conserning the AI, how does the different levels in 'Global'parameters affect it?

How does one get the most challenging AI possible in MP?

-Alex
Old May 13, 2001, 09:05   #2
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:14
Even if you play a MP with 7 games, this has impact. For example, increased mineral costs, drones appear sooner, etc. On Transcend, your 3rd citizen is a drone (not taking in account faction-specifics). On Talent, it's only 6th, I think.

------------------
Solver the "Running Beer" - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old May 13, 2001, 11:08   #3
Vultur
Warlord

Local Time: 06:14
quote:

Originally posted by Solver on 05-13-2001 09:05 AM
Even if you play a MP with 7 games, this has impact. For example, increased mineral costs, drones appear sooner, etc. On Transcend, your 3rd citizen is a drone (not taking in account faction-specifics). On Talent, it's only 6th, I think.

It's not right: the first drone at Transcend level is the 2nd. At Citizen level is the 7th.
AI has the "opposite" difficulty level (if you are playing Transcend AI play Citizen)
The mineral costs aren't increased, but growht rate is very low at high levels.
In MP game, in a first time, humans players collaborate, leaving the AI very weak, so I think that only playing MP at Transcend level can be interesting

-Vultur

-------------------------
The Luck helps
The Prepared Mind

--Blaise Pascal
Old May 13, 2001, 11:28   #4
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 08:14
Wasn't it only for Zakharov? Don't remember here.

------------------
Solver the "Running Beer" - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old May 13, 2001, 11:31   #5
Akaoz
Prince

Okay...

So if I set the global difficulty to 'Trancend' and the Human difficulty to 'Trancend' and the AI to 'Citizen', that should give me max challange?

But what exactly does the _Global_ value do? If you can just change it with the faction specific value?

-Alex
Old May 14, 2001, 10:44   #6
Akaoz
Prince

errr... anybody? plz...

*bump*
Old May 16, 2001, 16:41   #7
Net Maverick
Chieftain

Not sure, but I've always assumed that global difficulty level is the AI level, and each player can have his individual level. For example, if you set the global difficulty to Transcend, and set yours to Librarian, a second player's to Citizen, and a fourth player's to Transcend, you would have no bonuses/penalties, 4th citizen drone, the second player would have +30% bonuses and 7th citizen drone, the third player would have -20% penalty, 2nd citizen drone, and the AI would have +20% bonuses (6th or 7th citizen drone?) as it would in Transcend single player.
Old May 17, 2001, 23:46   #8
Misotu
Emperor

Probably the only way to have a really challenging AI is to have a scenario set-up for the game. This is easy in both PBEM and IP. To make the AI perform better, you simply give them extra bases and give them a little terraforming start - probably forest, since the AI doesn't tend to build these.
Old May 18, 2001, 00:09   #9
Akaoz
Prince

I've found that if I assign the AI diff 'Cittizen' and humans 'Trance' and Global 'Trnace' it becomes rather challenging, but I haven't tried with Global 'Cittizen'...

I've also noticed some anomelies when it comes to happiness. Looking at a city from the city screen it would sometimes appear that it was in or about to revolt. Looking at the city summary screen it looked content... It turned out be content...? This has happened several times. Bug?

-Alex
Old May 18, 2001, 00:19   #10
Misotu
Emperor

Yes, known bug and a rather annoying one. In the main screen, you get a glowing red drone. The only way to see the true situation is to check the psych screen, where your happy/discontent citizens are displayed correctly.