Old March 3, 2003, 02:38   #1
Frogman
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A winG question and what do I need for multiplayer
I haven't played CivII in several years, but the sad truth is that despite all the better graphics, there just isn't a game with better gameplay and versatility.

I need to reinstall the winG file, is that just a file transfer to some windows directory? Will Civ II work on windows xp?

Also, I am thinking of trying pbem as I really got into it playing Age of Wonders. Do I need the MGE or is there a mod on the FW with the 2.42 patch?
Old March 3, 2003, 03:00   #2
rjmatsleepers
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:48
Re: A winG question and what do I need for multiplayer
Quote:
Originally posted by Frogman
I haven't played CivII in several years, but the sad truth is that despite all the better graphics, there just isn't a game with better gameplay and versatility.

I need to reinstall the winG file, is that just a file transfer to some windows directory? Will Civ II work on windows xp?

Also, I am thinking of trying pbem as I really got into it playing Age of Wonders. Do I need the MGE or is there a mod on the FW with the 2.42 patch?
I can confirm that CivII works on Windows XP. I installed it from the CD and it worked staright away. (About the only thing that did work first time with XP.)

RJM at Sleepers
Old March 3, 2003, 05:03   #3
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 22:48
If WinG isn't installed automatically during Civ2 installation, you should be able to find a setup program on your Civ2 CD.

For PBEM'ing, you'll need MGE.

"FW with the 2.42 patch"? Do you have FW or "classic" Civ2? Classic Civ2 needs the 2.42 patch, FW doesn't.
Old March 4, 2003, 03:29   #4
rjmatsleepers
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator

"FW with the 2.42 patch"? Do you have FW or "classic" Civ2? Classic Civ2 needs the 2.42 patch, FW doesn't.
My experience with FW in the early landing succession game was not good. The game was still "playable", but I hit various "bugs". I suggest you reinstall Civ2 in a different directory and upgrade to 2.42. You then have FW for scenarios that need it and a playable version for SP, etc. This worked fine for me in XP.

RJM at Sleepers.
Old March 4, 2003, 06:16   #5
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 21:48
Frogman you will need MGE for PBEM, but you can upgrade civ 2.42 to MGE (there is a patch at CF) if you cannot find a copy of the game to buy......it is trickier these days.
Old March 8, 2003, 00:34   #6
Frogman
Chieftain

I found CivII ToT for $1.99 and it says it has multiplayer. For 2 bucks I figure its worth a shot. I couldn't believe it. It was marked $9.99 but they rung it up as $1.99 at the cash register, so I went and got another copy for my dad. Its the full box with the manual and charts. It was at Best Buy, not sure if it was a computer error or they just want to get them off the shelf.

I haven't checked much into the ToT version, but it looks like its only got some minor changes for the standard game and some unique options for mulitple levels if you want it. I guess I'll have to check out that forum.
Old March 8, 2003, 01:31   #7
Caesar the Great
Emperor

i posted a little while ago about the WinG thing on this forum (5 or 6 threads down), someone posted a link to a site which will tell you everything you need to know
Old March 8, 2003, 06:28   #8
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Frogman

ToT is really a different game that has a 'classic Civ2' emulator.
Do NOT install any Civ2 patches for SP or MP - you will wreck it
For more helpful information try the Civ2|Test of Time forum here

SG[1]
Old March 8, 2003, 12:22   #9
Frogman
Chieftain

Yeah, I see that TOT is a totally different interface. I think I like the standard interface better, seems easier to work. The big problem with ToT is the lack of a map editor and all the scenarios for FW won't work.

I think I would rather try to play multiplayer on the FW game. A patch was mentioned to be available at CF. Of course I would buy MGE if I could find it. Heck, these days it can't be more than a few dollars.

On the other issue, I went to the wing folder on the game cd and just clicked on the application. It installed by itself and now I can play FW on my laptop in windows xp without a problem.

Last edited by Frogman; March 8, 2003 at 16:37.
Old March 9, 2003, 22:21   #10
Frogman
Chieftain

Well, I patched ToT to the MGE edition, so now I have FW, MGE, and ToT. I guess I'm set. I know SMAC was pretty popular with pbem but I never could get into SMAC.

I can't believe I'm going back to CivII after all these years. Age of Wonders kept me busy for 3 years, but Age of Wonders 2 lost a little of the magic with a hopelessly complicated editor and I'm just tired of games that come down to who has the best super hero. I was also considering HOMM3 since I never tried it but its hard to find. MOO3 sounds so awful I don't even want to try it.

What the heck is going on? How come all these sequels, with their better graphics and bigger programs, just aren't as fun to play? Seems to be true for the rts games as well. The industry is going to have to figure something out. They won't get rich on games selling for $1.99.

I'd love to see a rework of good old empire. A solid turn based war game that would let you set up flight paths, automatic movement, and patrols. No city buildings to build, just units. Empire Deluxe was a great game but it just won't work on windows 98 and I've never seen anything similar. Its the all time classic tbs. I remember playing it for hours on maps that looked like text documents. + for land . for water and letters for the units. Capital letters where your armies, small letters the ai. Really, the graphics couldn't suck any worse and yet the addictive gameplay was unbelievable. Am I just getting too old or does anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited by Frogman; March 9, 2003 at 22:34.
Old March 9, 2003, 22:47   #11
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogman
I remember playing it for hours on maps that looked like text documents. + for land . for water and letters for the units. Capital letters where your armies, small letters the ai. Really, the graphics couldn't suck any worse and yet the addictive gameplay was unbelievable. Am I just getting too old or does anyone else feel the same way?
Haven't played Empire Deluxe in particular, but I'll break out Moria or Galactic Conquest from time to time - same type of graphics There's something to be said for the earlier games - they had to be good gameplay because there was no way they were going to seduce you with ASCII or CGA graphics