Old March 3, 2003, 12:19   #1
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 20:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Resignation from the CtP2DG
I've decided to resign from the DG (and therefore as MoDA also) to devote more time to Catapult.
Old March 3, 2003, 17:12   #2
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Ive been on hols for the week - this sounds bad
Whats Catapult?
Your input has been huge and will be missed.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old March 3, 2003, 20:31   #3
HuangShang
King

Local Time: 13:49
can he appoint a replacement, if not for MoDA then how about the WP chairman
Old March 3, 2003, 23:43   #4
Tamerlin
King

Local Time: 22:49
This a sad news for the DG MrBaggins, I hope the recent events during the elections are not the main reason behind this resignation.

I wish you good luck with the Catapult project and hope we will hear from you in the CtP2 forums.
Old March 4, 2003, 04:55   #5
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 21:49
Sad news MrBaggins,

you did a really good job.............

just to doublecheck, you are resigning?

Quote:
(c) The officer who wishes to resign shall be requested to remain in office until a replacement is elected.
(d) If the officer is unwilling to remain in office, then the Court may choose a willing citizen to fill that office until a replacement is elected. The chosen citizen will have the word temporary as a prefix to the name of their office.
I have to ask you, will you stay in office till a replacement has been elected?
Old March 4, 2003, 05:42   #6
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 21:49
resignations

That's a real pitty, especially because you really did a good gob!
Old March 4, 2003, 06:18   #7
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Sorry to see you go MrB .

IIRC I'm top of the list of delegates but I don't have the time right now to do it so either MrB appoints a replacement or the next on the list gets the job.
Old March 4, 2003, 07:45   #8
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

The reason I've decided to quit, is that my ability to devote time has been reduced, forcing me to make a choice. I believe proper attention should be made if you're in office.

I guess its not a problem to stay in office until a replacement is elected, however, I cannot guarantee the same time and attention commitment. I urge that the judiciary initiate the process to elect a replacement ASAP.

My list for delegates stands, as such, given Turambars unavailability, Tamerlin is the next in line, and the defacto MoDA at this point.

In terms of 'what is Catapult?', it is a somewhat ambitious isometric game engine, which will form the basis for an extremely flexible TBS system (you could emulate many different civ games in it.) Its in my mind what CtP3 'should have been'. However, its not limited to 'just' CtP, and the actual first game that will sit on the engine will be more than just a straight CtP2 clone.

MrBaggins
Old March 4, 2003, 12:59   #9
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
The reason I've decided to quit, is that my ability to devote time has been reduced, forcing me to make a choice. I believe proper attention should be made if you're in office.
I couldn't aggree more here, sad but true.

Quote:
I guess its not a problem to stay in office until a replacement is elected, however, I cannot guarantee the same time and attention commitment. I urge that the judiciary initiate the process to elect a replacement ASAP.

My list for delegates stands, as such, given Turambars unavailability, Tamerlin is the next in line, and the defacto MoDA at this point.
So I can work with Tamerlin now?

Quote:
In terms of 'what is Catapult?', it is a somewhat ambitious isometric game engine, which will form the basis for an extremely flexible TBS system (you could emulate many different civ games in it.) Its in my mind what CtP3 'should have been'. However, its not limited to 'just' CtP, and the actual first game that will sit on the engine will be more than just a straight CtP2 clone.

MrBaggins
So in other words I could use all the CTP2 graphics, text files, *ldl files and slic files to emulate it? Well I guess it is a little bit more difficuilt.

-Martin
Old March 4, 2003, 14:49   #10
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

So in other words I could use all the CTP2 graphics, text files, *ldl files and slic files to emulate it? Well I guess it is a little bit more difficuilt.

-Martin
Yes (and yes, a little bit more difficult) The Catapult design includes 'C-Code', which is a parallel to SLIC. 'C-Code' is a lot lower level than SLIC, however, and the entirety of the game logic will be built using it. To give a parallel, 'C-Code' would be more like assembly language(or C, perhaps) and SLIC, more like Visual Basic (or an even higher level language.)

It needs to be low level to be versatile and powerful. As the game logic layer is written, it gets easier to use by mod/scenario makers, and nothing is hidden; the game logic, including the formulas are transparent.

Structurally, 'C-Code' will be C-like, just as SLIC is. It will be a bit more powerful, including more math and data access functions, plus helper functions, that interface with the basic UI.

In SLIC, you might have a function 'AddGold(player_t)'

In C-Code you not only can call the function, but the game logic includes the function definition itself, including reading/writing to the persistent data in the game database.

MrBaggins
Old March 4, 2003, 18:40   #11
child of Thor
Emperor

Well it sounds very interesting - a 3D 'Civ' engine! Anything like what they did in 'Emipre Earth'(but tbs and not r*spit*t*cough*s.). Any links or such stuff? And i can understand about not haveing the real time to dedicate to the DG
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old March 4, 2003, 21:05   #12
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
So I can work with Tamerlin now?
MrBaggins, tell us if you would like to stay in office until the end of the elections which should be organized very soon as Gilgamensh is already asking who would nominate.

I must thank you for your term as MoDA and though I don't agree with you on every issue (like Wels' case) you have done an excellent job so far.
Old March 4, 2003, 23:30   #13
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Tamerlin: if you feel ready and able to perform as MoDA, then you can certainly serve as in an active role, as my delegate(with full powers of the office,) until the election is decided. If you don't feel that you'll be able to devote proper attention in the meantime, I will do what I can to oversee the office until then.
Old March 5, 2003, 00:15   #14
Tamerlin
King

Hi MrBaggins,

I must admit your unexpected resignation was very sudden and that I am currently doing my best to cope with the game and my new responsabilities. Unfortunately your resignation is announced when I have a very busy week, which is usually not the case, and not much time to devote to the DG until thirsday evening in France.

I understand you would like to be freed as soon as possible and what would help me would be some orders or advices for thursday's turn chat a bit like if I were a delegate you would brief for the following chat you could not attend to. Though if you can't be here, or don't want to, for thirsday's chat I think there will be no problems and that I can assume the position alone.
Old March 5, 2003, 18:03   #15
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 17:49
I hadnt seen this coming

Just PMed you to talk about your project. Asking you dont to give up No need to say more...

It is for a greater cause.
-Jean Rostand