Old May 27, 2000, 17:01   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 05:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Signed, Sealed, and Delivered.....
I'm going to bed. Oh, but....before I do, please allow me to introduce you to a friend of mine....the SMAX (version 3.0) Guide....

I hope you enjoy it, folks...I had a good time putting it together, although I have a bit of a headache at present....nothing that a nap, followed by some Mexican food and a pitcher of margaritas won't cure...::grin::

I'll keep the guide where it is, in my forum, until June 9th, and we'll consider this a "Beta Period" for the guide, so if you've got sugesstions or changes to recommend, I've got a separate thread for that on my site, and on June 9th, I'll take the HTML pages I'm currently wrestling with, and give the guide a permanant home, complete with cross-linked sections and so forth.

There are three things absent from this, the Beta version.

1) No cross-linking
2) No index of "How-To" notes (14 in all...ummm...I think)
3) No "build table" (displaying the "build point" for every facility in the game.

Those will be added when the guide finds its permanant home....:-)

To get to my little corner of the web, follow the link below. From the main page, click into the forums, and from there, into the SMAC Strategy section....you're all set!

Oh, and one final thing....the forum software I'm using has two "modes": Standard and Detailed. It defaults to Detailed mode, which is somewhat annoying, and you'll want to click the link (near the top of the page) to convert to Standard mode....it's all there, and I'm looking forward to comments!

http://clik.to/renaissance

-=Vel=-
(goin' to bed)
Old May 27, 2000, 18:11   #2
Tear
Settler

WOW!

I thought your last guide was complete. An excellent peice of work. I can't believe you don't get paid for putin as much work that incredible guide.

You truely are a SMAC(X) Genius.

Old May 27, 2000, 18:59   #3
Qualiciide

yay vel!

Old May 27, 2000, 19:01   #4
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 06:15
I've only had time to skim trhough it but I must say that I'm damn impressed! I especially like the additions to the combat chapter.

Vel, once again you have done a most impressive job at a hard task that is covering all the aspects of a game such complex as SMAC. My congratulations!!!

LoD

PS. And have a good night's sleep while you're at it !
Old May 27, 2000, 19:13   #5
VulturesRow
Chieftain

Vel,
You da man!

Chris
Old May 28, 2000, 08:46   #6
waynehead
Prince

Excellent Vel, excellent. My printer's humming as we speak.
Old May 28, 2000, 19:58   #7
Qualiciide

i like the part about the aliens

Old May 28, 2000, 23:46   #8
Adam_Smith
Prince

Well, I read the first 24 pages so far which is only about 20% of it I think. Very good. Really it's a shame if you can't find a way to get paid for doing it. It looks like a lot of work. Thanks a lot for doing it. I know every player will appreciate what you have done for the community and the game.
Old May 29, 2000, 00:33   #9
Meisman
Chieftain

Impressive!
Old May 29, 2000, 21:54   #10
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Adam, meant to reply to you earlier.... Thank you....it means a lot to me to hear words like that....I love this game, and the people here have been nothing but gracious to me....I came here early last year as a complete newbie, but was warmly welcomed, got informative, patient answers to all my various questions (and there were a bunch!), and this is my way of repaying that kindness....

-=Vel=-
Old May 30, 2000, 01:38   #11
Blunderdog
Warlord

Local Time: 21:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I've only skimmed the new guide, but it's great. Time to replace my dogeared printout of version 2.

Thanks a million, Vel.
Old May 30, 2000, 04:09   #12
aliatar
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Vel,

Just another post to thank you for version 3.0. Its amaizing. I loved version 2, and this is more and better!!!

Thanks again and keep the good work

Aliatar
Old May 30, 2000, 08:55   #13
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 00:15
Kudos yet again Vel.

I had a sneaking suspicion that the Guide would be put out this weekend, but wouldn't you know it, on thursday night my computer decided to start misbehaving.

So guess I will have to find some time to give an in-depth reading, whilst at work!!

Seriously though Vel, you really are to be congradulated on putting forth such an effort.

Now, can you all imagine if Vel put such a mind to work for an actual useful purpose!!
Old May 30, 2000, 22:19   #14
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Master Vel,

Vel's Guide (V3.0) to SMAC/X is a work of art. Truly excellent!

Your devoted slave,
Hydro

P.S. - for those of you who haven't delved into Vel's accumulated wisdom, do it now! I can guarantee you won't regret it!

Old May 31, 2000, 06:18   #15
Velociryx
staff

Thanks again guys....there are some bugs, problems, errors, oversights, and omissions, but that's to be expected in a guide almost 75,000 words long, and why I wanted it to go through a beta period to shake all the kinks out....after a while, it just plain does me no good to re-re-read it (again! LOL) cos by the time I finished it, my eyes were crossing and bloodshot, but I knew that if I put it out there for review, the weakspots in the work would quickly come to light.

Yeah, I'm the one who sat down and wrote it, but it's you guys, with your comments and sugesstions....you guys are the ones who are gonna make it rock!

PS: Last week, my little web site was getting an average of 40-odd hits a day....it's more than doubled (almost tripled, actually) over the last three days!

-=Vel=-
[This message has been edited by Velociryx (edited May 31, 2000).]
Old May 31, 2000, 07:27   #16
HenryMad
Prince

Vel,
It's only few months since I have been appreciating AC complexity and immense game depth (altough I bought it more than an years ago): this thanks to your guide release 2.0. Now you provide us with another masterpiece: release 3.0 . Awesome ! A true masterpiece !
Old June 3, 2000, 23:51   #17
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

test
Old June 3, 2000, 23:53   #18
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Cool...it works. Ok, how the hell are you Vel?!?!?!

I thought you had given up SMAC! Now i have to read more of your stuff....when I am sober. Did that game of ours continue?

jt
Old June 4, 2000, 09:13   #19
Feverish
Settler

I am having trouble finding version 3.0 for SMAC(X). please help. thx
Old June 4, 2000, 14:53   #20
Meisman
Chieftain

Go to Vel's site --> Discussion Forums --> SMAC - Strategy and Tactics --> SMAX Guide (version 3.0)
Old June 4, 2000, 20:26   #21
Velociryx
staff

Sorry guys....was out of pocket this weekend....just getting back, and thanks for the assist, Meisman!

JT! Long time no see, bud! How are you? I'm great....just busy with a gazillion different projects, but then, that's how I like it....

Write to me man, and come, join me on my site!

-=Vel=-
Old June 4, 2000, 20:47   #22
waynehead
Prince

Vel: some people on alt.firaxis...alphacentauri have asked me for a Word copy of your guide. Do you mind if I give it to them?

------------------
My sorry excuse for a website
Old June 6, 2000, 02:48   #23
JAMiAM
Prince

jimmytrick and Vel,

Whenever you two are ready to continue our game, I am more than eager to do so. AnnC disappeared after one, or two, turns leaving us high and dry. I've tried to get a replacement for her, but nobody seems to have enough faith in Vel's strategy to take up the banner against cousLee and I.

There is nothing I enjoy more than casting down false gods!

I think cousLee would like to see the game moving again, as well.

JAMiAM
Old June 6, 2000, 03:31   #24
joer
Prince

Hi Jami.

If you need a replacement for a pbem, I wouldn't mind taking up another one. My speed is reasonable (checking in at least in the morning and eve each day, usually more often). And I don't even mind losing a lost battle, as long as it's fun.
-joer.
Old June 6, 2000, 06:15   #25
Velociryx
staff

False gods? LOL....he must be talkin' 'bout you, JT....::chuckling::

To be honest, I'd almost forgotten we HAD a game....LOL...we could pick it back up if you want to, but in light of the fact that we really weren't all that far along, and considering how much time has fallen away, it might just be best to start fresh if we're gonna do it....

-=Vel=-
Old June 6, 2000, 06:18   #26
Velociryx
staff

Waynehead: For the moment, if you could just refer them to the site, I'd appreciate it....at present, I'm shopping the guide around to see if there's any corporate interest in having it professionally produced....been looking for a way to officially break into the publication field for ages, and this might be the very thing....

-=Vel=-
Old June 6, 2000, 09:37   #27
JAMiAM
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Velociryx on 06-06-2000 06:15 AM
False gods? LOL....he must be talkin' 'bout you, JT....::chuckling::

To be honest, I'd almost forgotten we HAD a game....LOL...we could pick it back up if you want to, but in light of the fact that we really weren't all that far along, and considering how much time has fallen away, it might just be best to start fresh if we're gonna do it....

-=Vel=-

Vel,

We are on MY2174 to jimmytrick/AnnC/whoever you wish to have fill in. It has been two months since the turn has moved, since AnnC has dropped from the face of Terra.

I rather think that your wanting to start afresh is a disingenious way of avoiding the defeat that you are heading toward. Being that you are third of four on the power graph, ahead only of cousLee's Believers.

Get back into the game, with a replacement for your team mate. Or, play both of the factions (that way you'll have no excuses ).

The gauntlet has been thrown. Will you meet the challenge? Or will you slink back into the false security of your reputation, engendered through an enviable talent for prose, rather than action?
Old June 6, 2000, 09:55   #28
DilithiumDad
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III PBEM
Prince

You neglected a critical game option --Time Warp! Feel free to use my commentary:

"Most players despise the Time Warp option. It's like taking over from an utterly incompetent governor. Time Warp accelerates you anywhere betweeen 30 and 80 years into the game. Faction might is scrupulously balanced, and each faction has exactly one secret project. But some players swear by Time Warp, and the only single-player games they play are using this option. (Time Warp can also be used in Multiplayer, but it is far, far better to use the Scenario Editor to accelerate each player's starting position.) This option can make the game very challenging. If you have gotten used to grabbing almost all of those critical early Secret projects, Time Warp will humble you, because you will have only one of the first seven. This option makes the AI very strong, because you can't use your special tricks during those critical first 50 moves that puts you leagues ahead of the pitiful AI. Deirdre usually completes the Empath Guild soon after your start, and she or Lal will become Plaetary Governor. On your first move, you will likely find yourself with rioting and starving bases, useless units, and sloppy terraforming. You will be behind in tech, and the tech you do have will be low-priority, making the usual beelines impossible. In many ways, Time Warp is much closer to Multiplayer than the usualy single-player game, because the opposing factions are more equal to you and the secret projects are spread evenly."

------------------
Creator of the Ultimate Builder Map, based on the Huge Map of Planet
Old June 6, 2000, 10:13   #29
Velociryx
staff

Jam, you DO have a good way of throwing down the gauntlet, and put that way, of course I'll pick it up....but as to our differences in the power chart, while it's true (as best I recall) that I'm third, it's not by a wide margin....

My main reasons though, for recommending starting a new one are two-fold: First, becuase I know how "odd" it is to walk in and take over someone else's game in progress....takes time to get the feel for it....get stuff working the way you want. Second, because (and this is nothing I've not said many times before) the Builder game is at a disadvantage under these settings (lots of pods, average world size, lots of naturally good terrain).

I'd be honored to finish the current game though, and feel pretty good about our position at present, with either joer or JT....and as a side challenge, perhaps you two would be interested in starting another game with the same teams on a larger world, no pods...make ya work a bit for the tech? (tossing down another gauntlet...::grin : : )

-=Vel=-
[This message has been edited by Velociryx (edited June 06, 2000).]
Old June 6, 2000, 11:11   #30
JAMiAM
Prince

Vel,

I would like to play an additional game with you, but not another team play game. To me, the diplomacy, and tension of guarding against the backstabs, are crucially important elements, and missing in the team play format.

I will play any setting you choose, and will adopt the faction that I believe best suited for the particular occasion. I only ask that "cooperative victory" be disabled. All victory types are fine, but when the fat lady sings, only one hero is to be the "winner".

See if you can scare up some RELIABLE players for such a game. We might be able to talk Bingmann into making another map.

JAMiAM