View Poll Results: What will happen in Iraq?
The US takes over the country and things turns out vaguely like Germany/Japan 9 15.52%
A UN peace-keeping coalition keep things relatively similar to what Bosnia is like nowadays 5 8.62%
The US coopts/bribes Iraqi leaders who set up a loose coaltion government kind of like in Afghanistan now 11 18.97%
After the war free and fair elections are immediately held which lead to a stable and democratic Iraq 1 1.72%
Iraq gets partitioned into three or more countries 0 0%
The US tries to run Iraq and enough people unite against the US to make it ANOTHER VIETNAM 3 5.17%
Things degenerate and get all bloody and nasty like in Lebanon 10 17.24%
The US installs a Sunni Arab general who turns out to be not all that different from Saddam 9 15.52%
The Shia Arabs launch a revolution and install an Islamist state on the Iranian model 2 3.45%
The army continues to run things and you get coup-of-the-month government 2 3.45%
The Iraqi proletariat rise up and establish a workers' paradise 2 3.45%
Iraq is renamed Bananastan 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5, 2003, 17:11   #1
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 06:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Iraq after the war?
My money's on the Lebanon option, largely due to the Shia majority in the south whose only real political voice is the Islamist Da'wa.
Old March 5, 2003, 17:26   #2
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 13:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just gotta pick workers' paradise
Old March 5, 2003, 17:30   #3
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 16:01
Re: Iraq after the war?
Quote:
Originally posted by Boshko
My money's on the Lebanon option, largely due to the Shia majority in the south whose only real political voice is the Islamist Da'wa.
The Iraqi Shi'ite have been crushed before when they tried to rise up. If needed, they can be crushed again.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old March 5, 2003, 17:30   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 17:01
I pick Afghanistan.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old March 5, 2003, 17:31   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

As did I.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 5, 2003, 17:33   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 14:01
I voted for option #4 - but I know the odds are against it happening.
Old March 5, 2003, 17:41   #7
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
The Iraqi Shi'ite have been crushed before when they tried to rise up. If needed, they can be crushed again.
Right, they don't have the power to sieze control like in Iran but they DO have the power to do a lot, after all they are the majority of the population, which is why the US will do all it can to prevent the establishment of democracy in Iraq.

And something like Afghanistan isn't going to happen in Iraq, the countries are two different. In Afghanistan you could coopt the warlords on the ground with brides etc (something that was implemented quite well) and keep things nice and decentralized while keeping the existing local power-brokers happy. In Iraq there ARE no local power-brokers to coopt, since Iraq is vastly more centralized (with the exception of the North) than Afghanistan ever was. And for that matter there's no Northern Alliance, the closest thing you've got are the Kurds and there's no way Turkey will stand for the US using them in the way it used the Northern Alliance.
Also there's the oil. Its much harder to establish a loose decentralized coaltion government like in Afghanistan since any Iraqi powers that emerge will all want to be sitting on top of the oil wells.

Whatever happens, I really hope that the US doesn't **** the Kurds over for a third time, they seem to be doing fairly well at institution-building
Old March 5, 2003, 17:47   #8
Sandman
King

Local Time: 22:01
You forgot DU-poisoned wasteland.
Old March 5, 2003, 18:00   #9
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

"Right, they don't have the power to sieze control like in Iran but they DO have the power to do a lot, after all they are the majority of the population, which is why the US will do all it can to prevent the establishment of democracy in Iraq."

Ah, but after Saddam crushed the region they stopped doing everything. If nessecary we have a working model in place to install order in the region. I am hoping however that won't be nessecary. As I mentioned before, most of the people in Shi'ite Iran are secularists(even if their governemnt is not), and Iraq has a long tradition of secular government. It is really hard to say right now whether the Iraqi Shi'ites will want an Islamist state or not. Hopefully once we have Iraq under occupation, it will be easier to learn where their sympathies lay and if they would be willing to go along with a secular, democratic government.

"Whatever happens, I really hope that the US doesn't **** the Kurds over for a third time, they seem to be doing fairly well at institution-building"

Hard to say. If the Turks refuse to cooperate, the Kurds could be in good shape. From what I have read though Kurdish militias are training and preparing to resist a Turkish invasion, if they try to fight the Turkish army they could be in trouble.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old March 5, 2003, 18:03   #10
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I picked Lebananon, although Afghanistan might get mixed in too, if only because the US decides to prop somebody up for a while
Old March 5, 2003, 18:21   #11
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 23:01
Isn´t 1 and 4 basically the same?
Old March 5, 2003, 19:08   #12
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 15:01
it would be awesome if 1 works out, but it is very unlikely...
Old March 5, 2003, 19:32   #13
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 08:01
I went for the 8th option, seems the most likely to me.
Old March 5, 2003, 19:34   #14
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 21:01
I said nam, but lebanonn seems quite likley and the same about installing a leade similar to Sodamn insaine.

though a combo of all 3 is probably more likley.
Old March 5, 2003, 19:45   #15
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

The whole situation depends upon the level of committment the US has after the war. With the level of world dissent it may have a chance to be significant. I think a lot depends on how much it is kept in the public eye by the US media as well.

Hopefully the US will follow through with this and option one will come to fruition
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old March 5, 2003, 19:46   #16
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 15:01
Very good poll, with a fine set of options, and not politically biased either.

Good job Boskho.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 5, 2003, 19:54   #17
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I doubt the Islamicists will come to power outright. It's one of the silver linings of having rival religious factions within the country. Assume about half of all Shiites are secularists and it would be tough for the Shiites Islamicists to lead a coalition.

Personally, I'm pretty sanguine about the prospects for a #1 lite, as long as the US stays committed for a while, but doesn't overstay its welcome. It's a tough balancing act to be sure.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old March 5, 2003, 20:09   #18
The Andy-Man
Prince

The question is really weather the USA can afford the costs of a large standing army in the middle east.
Old March 5, 2003, 20:13   #19
Lincoln
King

Afghanistan.
Old March 5, 2003, 20:22   #20
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Would you like me to tell ya'll how it turns out when I get over there
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old March 5, 2003, 20:22   #21
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

one giant airfield surrounded by a radioactive ring in the sand.
Old March 5, 2003, 20:28   #22
Uncle Sparky
NationStates
King

Which one is the WW III option?

The Kurds have already said they will move there forces south to regain "Kurdish territories". Turkey has said that they will not allow a Kurish government on their border.

NATO & the EU are in rather poor shape due to the intransigent US stand on Iraq.

I expect a very long & bloody Middle East conflict, spilling over into Africa, southern Asia & Europe with major terror attacks in the US.

I suspect Bush anticipates this possability. I suspect that this is why he's having American Muslims register.

I really hope it doesn't turn out this way, but those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it... and Dubbya ia a moron.
Old March 5, 2003, 21:51   #23
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Isn´t 1 and 4 basically the same?
1 has a transition period of US military rule of a couple years (five years is I think the number that's being kicked around), and also implies massive US aid and whatnot not just setting up elections and leaving.

Quote:
If nessecary we have a working model in place to install order in the region.
What working model? Saddam's regime? The people in the south won't put up with Ba'athists ruling them once Saddam is gone and there really isn't any other elites that the US could coopt to run the area (unlike the Kurdish north where there are somewhat functional institutions, where things should go relatively well unless the Turks **** with things to "protect" the Turkomen in Kirkuk).

Quote:
most of the people in Shi'ite Iran are secularists
In which case would people of a given religion be less inclided to secularism? One in which an Islamist government is oppressing you or one in which a adamantly secular government run by people of a different religion is tyrannizing you?

Quote:
Iraq has a long tradition of secular government
And absolutely no tradition of democracy, even Egypt and Syria have had a little.

Quote:
The whole situation depends upon the level of committment the US has after the war.
I don't think there'll be all that much, the Bush administration's attention span isn't that long and there isn't the Communist Peril to goad the US into putting a lot of effort into it as was the case with Germany and Japan.

Quote:
Very good poll, with a fine set of options, and not politically biased either.

Good job Boskho.
Thanks

Quote:
Assume about half of all Shiites are secularists and it would be tough for the Shiites Islamicists to lead a coalition.
Right, it will be tough, probably impossible but the Shiite Islamists are probably in at least a bit better position than you seem to think since the Islamists are the only anti-Ba'ath political force in the south opposition in the south will take place under an almost exclusively Islamist umbrella, so you'll probably get a good deal of moderate Shi'ites joining Islamists militias and whatnot (I assume the same sort of thing happened in Lebanon).

Quote:
Which one is the WW III option?
Hmmmm, probably should have put in one like that, I guess ANOTHER VIETNAM comes closest.
Old March 5, 2003, 22:02   #24
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Best case, given Shrub's political disposition, is a ruthless Sunni Ba'athist taking Saddam's place, he rapidly suppresses dissent, and back to the status quo antebellum. Except the Kurds lose their autonomy and are oppressed lots more, people die and vital infrastrucutre is destroyed.

Worst case, ditto, is that the Kurds don't follow Rummy's plan that they'd go meekly back to Iraqi servitude after we give 'em lots of guns, so they declare indepdence. Then Turkey invades, and as well as the new administration in Baghdad and perhaps even Iran. In the South, a massive civil breaks out between the entrenched interests, the Sunnis and the disenfranchised Shia. Only after lots and lots of people die, Iranian funded proxies take power, leading to an Islamist Iranian satellite at least in the South. In other words, Lebanon.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old March 5, 2003, 22:07   #25
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:01
I say it'd be a bunch of warlords slugging out with each other. So, a mix of Lebanon and Afghanistan.
Old March 5, 2003, 22:07   #26
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The primary domestic anti-Saddam force is Islamist. And there's already an Iranian proxy group entrenched in the North.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old March 5, 2003, 22:10   #27
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 05:01
I see that there will be at least the Kurds, the Islamists, and some former Iraqi generals.
Old March 5, 2003, 22:12   #28
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Best case, given Shrub's political disposition, is a ruthless Sunni Ba'athist taking Saddam's place, he rapidly suppresses dissent, and back to the status quo antebellum.
This is exactly the impression I got from Bush's speech about creating a functioning democracy in Iraq...
Old March 5, 2003, 22:15   #29
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well the Islamists in the North are Sunni I think, they probably won't be anywhere as numerous as the Shia Islamists once things get rolling.

Also keep in mind that for Shia the Iraqi city of Karbala, where the Forth Imam was killed, is more holy then Mecca. So if things get nasty you could see Shia volunteers coming from all over to get and keep Karbala in Shia hands.
Old March 5, 2003, 22:31   #30
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
This is exactly the impression I got from Bush's speech about creating a functioning democracy in Iraq...
Like how's there's functioning democracy in Afghanistan.

Quote:
Well the Islamists in the North are Sunni I think, they probably won't be anywhere as numerous as the Shia Islamists once things get rolling.
The Shia Islamists are already much stronger than the Sunni Islamists. In the North, you've got anti-secular Kurds, who really aren't that strong. In fact, they're so weak, they're kept afloat by the Iraqis and Iranians. OTOH, the Shia Islamists have been a real challenge to Saddam's regime, basically his primary internal enemies.
-Bokonon