Old March 10, 2003, 14:28   #31
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 16:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Spartan_RawB... you started the personal attacks... and to nobodies surprise here, Eyes returned fire...

But right now, I don't really care who started it... but it will stop now. So again, you can argue all you want about who sucks at the game, who whines about the game, who is a newbie, who has no strategies... but the next crack about somebodies personal life is going to earn somebody a quick restriction.
Old March 10, 2003, 14:40   #32
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 22:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Spartan_RawB
Edited by ming again.

Bet you haven't been edited much before Ming.
Old March 10, 2003, 15:00   #33
Spartan_RawB
Warlord

Local Time: 21:18
And so this discussion is over, as requested by Ming, and I shall have to take up the matter with Mark.

The rest of your tirade has been edited.

And now you are restricted for bringing it up here instead of just doing it with Mark...
Old March 10, 2003, 15:02   #34
MalevolentLight
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

I only bring it to a real life issue when the other guy does, otherwise everything I say is game related. YOu can always tell a loser when he starts talking about his personal life in a gaming forum.
Old March 10, 2003, 15:05   #35
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Give it a rest eyes... he's been restricted. I know he started it... but that doesn't mean you should continue it
Old March 10, 2003, 15:28   #36
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 17:18
I havnt been here for awhile, but some things never change.

Strat's loss isn't really a loss because it didn't fit into his framework. (BTW I support a limited restart rule if everyone agrees on it ahead of time)

Eye's gets in a personal battle with someone (BTW I'm not defending the other person here), uses profanity and a variety of personal insults. Does twice as many posts as the other person but the moderators edit and threaten the other person while Eyes' comments are left and he is not threatened.

Why not remove all personal comments, or leave them all in. And if someone is going to earn a restriction, why not the most flagrant abuser. I am sure if there is one thing that the Apolyton community could agree on, it would be who is the most flagrant abuser (even though he goes by several different names)
Old March 10, 2003, 15:35   #37
Ming
lifer
Retired

Hey DD... look who started it before you stand by your opinion. Eyes was following the rules of this forum, and some guy attacks him for no reason. Yeah, he jumped in afterwords, but you didn't see that the other bozo attacked his personal life as well as his sex life. I'm sure you would have responded in a nasty fashion as well if it had been directed at you.

Eyes has been repeatedly warned AND restricted in the past. He has been behaving since we had many chats...
That is, until some other nimrod starts the action.
Old March 10, 2003, 16:34   #38
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 23:18
You're too fast Ming, I missed that
Old March 10, 2003, 17:22   #39
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Perhaps we could set up a veiwing stage so that more people can get to the popcorn and beer stands.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old March 10, 2003, 17:36   #40
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Damn, I go to lunch and miss all the good stuff
Old March 10, 2003, 17:47   #41
Ming
lifer
Retired

You all didn't miss much... Some bozo who hasn't posted in a few months comes back just to first take a shot at SK, and then unloads with a more personal attack against EYES.

But that's OK... He's going running to MarkG to tell him what a nasty person I am...
Old March 10, 2003, 18:53   #42
General Maximus
Prince

It's funny, this thread was started by SK, about SK, and no further posts by SK. Robbie picks a fight with Sean, Robbie is restricted. Still, NO more posts by SK.

Does the truth hurt Gary?

SAVE THE TREES...wipe your ass with an owl:)
Old March 10, 2003, 20:20   #43
jes
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Spartan_RawB... you started the personal attacks... and to nobodies surprise here, Eyes returned fire...

But right now, I don't really care who started it... but it will stop now. So again, you can argue all you want about who sucks at the game, who whines about the game, who is a newbie, who has no strategies... but the next crack about somebodies personal life is going to earn somebody a quick restriction.
well, to attack somebodys real life is forbidden in any case, i agree.

ming, if i understand you right, all what belongs to the game is ok. e.g. if somebody says, i am a stupid kraut, play on stupid kraut ladder, im a loser, dont know nothing from the game and so on - thats not ment personal, but its only ment for the game. ok, maybe its the american way of tolerance .

besides, im proud to be a stupid kraut, as im proud to be a weasel.

happy civving
Old March 10, 2003, 20:28   #44
Ming
lifer
Retired

This is an MP forum... we have always allowed the chest beating and the mild flaming that goes with competitve games. And yes, unless it gets really overboard, people are allowed to insult people's playing style and strategies... Heck, some of the startegies demand insulting comments If you can't handle that, you shouldn't be playing MP games.

However, we draw the line at PERSONAL insults... Insulting somebodies life... carreer... family... sex life... whatever... Not Allowed.
Old March 10, 2003, 20:36   #45
DrSpike
Deity

I empathise with DD and Jes........there is a very thin line IMO between calling someone a stupid kraut and some of the things I have seen characterised as personal attacks.

But then I'm glad it's not me making the calls.
Old March 11, 2003, 10:09   #46
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Yes, it's a tough call. I would probably allow a little personal insults, (since they're just an extension of worthless chest thumping), but alas, Ming is probably correct. There has to be a line, and at least Ming's line is visible. Mine probably wouldn't be and would create confusion.
Old March 11, 2003, 10:20   #47
DrSpike
Deity

Either way it's consistency that's the key. Unfortunately I suspect even then opinions will differ on what constitutes a personal insult. I think the kraut comment is as bad as some of the personal insults that were condemned. I can see why people who know the rules would be confused as to why some posters seem to have more 'leg room' than others.

That is not to say I think Ming should be stricter.......I'm with Rah, I'd allow flaming within reason, but as Rah says that is very vague, and even harder to keep consistent. This is why all mods are clearly quite mad.
Old March 11, 2003, 10:49   #48
Ming
lifer
Retired

Yes... it's a fine line... and I do try to stay as consistent as possible, but I'm only human...

But this was an easy one... He even attacked Eyes sex life... not a tough call to make
Old March 11, 2003, 10:56   #49
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Ming: One question though, you allow one player calling the other a stupid kraut, would you act in the same way if kraut was substituted by say nigger?
Old March 11, 2003, 11:50   #50
Ming
lifer
Retired

Probably... But maybe I missed something... I thought the term used was "stupid Kruat ladder"... and not directed at an individual... but you are right, if it had been "stupid nigger ladder" I would have indeed acted.

So yeah... I might have to rethink that one... As I've said before, I do make mistakes... but I'm willing to admit that, and try to learn from them.
Old March 11, 2003, 11:53   #51
Cobra
Chieftain

thx
Old March 11, 2003, 11:55   #52
Ming
lifer
Retired

I guess my problem here was that I have a lot of German blood, and the comment didn't bother me in the least. I guess I should have put myself in the shoes of a real German
Old March 11, 2003, 12:00   #53
atawa
King

Quote:
So yeah... I might have to rethink that one... As I've said before, I do make mistakes... but I'm willing to admit that, and try to learn from them.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:10   #54
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:

Your honesty does you credit.

I think part of the problem here is all the regulars have thick skins. If someone calls me a stupid pom in the Aussie thread I'm not going to give it a second thought. In fact we have all received and given out far worse insults.

I saw in the thread before though that there was some reaction by the German players to the kraut comments, and thought Ming would probably step in then and say "oi, keep it about the game or else".
Old March 11, 2003, 12:20   #55
jes
Chieftain

Quote:

im not "redegewandt" in english to say what i mean, but i think spike hit the point and said, what i would have wanted to say, if i could express it..
Old March 11, 2003, 12:23   #56
Ming
lifer
Retired

Yes... the regular bunch is very thick skinned... We know most of the people, and know what to expect from them.
Most of it is not meant in a serious way. I usually get a pm a week from people who just surf our forum thinking we are all crazy and should be restricted. But they really don't have a clue since they aren't members of this old and established community.

We are all just trying to have fun... And I try to be responsive when I get complaints about something when they do come from long standing members of this bunch...
Old March 11, 2003, 12:31   #57
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
I usually get a pm a week from people who just surf our forum thinking we are all crazy and should be restricted.

The most uncivilized forum is the one where the mod is most prominent.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:33   #58
Cobra
Chieftain

If I´m insulted by someone, I keep cool. However, it is nerve-killing, to be designated constantly as “stupid kraut“. The comparison with „Nigger“ is good.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:33   #59
Ming
lifer
Retired

They just don't understand that MP games are competitive... and it brings out the "best" in people
Old March 11, 2003, 12:36   #60
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
If I´m insulted by someone, I keep cool. However, it is nerve-killing, to be designated constantly as “stupid kraut“. The comparison with „Nigger“ is good.
I will keep that in mind in the future, especially since it seems our German membership is growing. Again, I never saw the word as insulting... Just another dumb American with german blood