Old March 9, 2003, 17:57   #1
Rommel2D
staff
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers

Local Time: 16:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Abbreviated Space Race?
Or: Shouldn't this be Noted as a Change in the Manual?

So the Spaceship doesn't need to reach AC to give a Civ a Victory? Success is automatic and ground support irrelevant? Wouldn't this be a nice thing to note in the "What's new" chapter of the Manual? It would take about 5 seconds to figure out you can order units and scroll the map around with the mouse, but I just spent a couple hundred hours to learn that I can no longer capture a Civ's capitol to recall it's spaceship.

Why would they even dumb down the game this way? Are spaceflight tragedies too disturbing of a historical fact?
Old March 9, 2003, 19:20   #2
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 18:20
I think AC is pretty far to the crew to be able to make communications in a good way. Once the ship went out, perhaps the first turn would still have some communications, the second most likely not, and the third... out of question, for monitorization, I think.
Old March 9, 2003, 20:19   #3
Rommel2D
staff

Technically it would all depend on what speed the ship could attain, of course. Knowing that no resupplies would be following would prabaly make most captains turn back. However, now that I think about it, the intro to SMAC, with the ship being an escape from a collapsing Earth, would explain the clean cut ending.

From a Civ viewpoint tho, there's alot they could do with the space race and establishing the first colony to make this game more interesting.
Old March 9, 2003, 21:51   #4
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 15:20
Ever played Civilization II: Test of Time?

IIRC it had a game where, once you founded a space colony, you met aliens and continued your work on both planets.
Old March 10, 2003, 10:23   #5
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 22:20
I prefered the old space race style. Choosing the ratio of components, modules and the like would effect the flight time and chance of success.

If arranged correctly you could set it up (in Civ4 ) so that more components increase the chance of success but make the journey longer*. You can then decide whether to rush there on a wing and prayer with a small craft or ensure the safety of your astronauts with high tech, high quality components.

The ability to build more than one craft at a time would also be good.

*In Civ2 it was based on ratio of components , but made it too easy to build cheap spacecraft if you weren't worried about your score.
Old March 10, 2003, 23:05   #6
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 17:20
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
I prefered the old space race style. Choosing the ratio of components, modules and the like would effect the flight time and chance of success.

If arranged correctly you could set it up (in Civ4 ) so that more components increase the chance of success but make the journey longer*. You can then decide whether to rush there on a wing and prayer with a small craft or ensure the safety of your astronauts with high tech, high quality components.

The ability to build more than one craft at a time would also be good.

*In Civ2 it was based on ratio of components , but made it too easy to build cheap spacecraft if you weren't worried about your score.
I agree that CIv 2 was better (You also had to build future tech in order for it to have a reasonable chance to make it) I like teh fact that you could risk a minimal SS and still win & why do these people need a freakin party lounge?

Rommel:

Just for your info You can destroy the spaseship by capturing the capital before it launches, but once it launches, game over!
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old March 12, 2003, 14:55   #7
Rommel2D
staff

Quote:
Just for your info You can destroy the spaseship by capturing the capital before it launches, but once it launches, game over!
It seems like the victory condition should be based on establishing a self-sufficient colony. X probability of a successful trip, then an increasing chance per turn of becoming independent or dying off. Sending semi-annual supply ships would extend that period and let the odds build up.

Not a lot more complexity- just a more fitting finish.
Old March 12, 2003, 17:36   #8
The Templar
Prince

OK - so we're going to AC without:

(1) Building a space station
(2) Building a moon base
(3) Colonizing Mars

And, were launching the colony ship from the ground.
Civ 4 needs a new scientific victory condition ...
Old March 13, 2003, 17:54   #9
CiverDan
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Lux InvictaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Roleplay
Prince

It is fairly obvious this was done for gameplay purposes. Realistically we aren't even going to visit Mars anytime soon, never mind another star system. Even Fusion Power isn't going to cut it. We dont even know where earth-like planets with acceptable atmospheres are yet. The space race in this game occurs 2-3 eras too soon, minimum. Realistically more like a 4th era after the current time. This is why the "Modern" era in the current game is screwed up also, IMHO. It is focused on building a "ficticious" spaceship.
Old March 15, 2003, 01:30   #10
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 13:20
It is also very weird that they just send a spaceship up to a star and pray that their will be a planet that can support us. The chances of successfully sending a ship to a random star system with finding one to live on are very slim. The planet's size would have to be similar, along with how close it was to the sun, and the amounts of certain gases in the air would have to be just like earth's.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau