View Poll Results: Should the construction of Genejack Factories be allowed in the following bases?
1) UNPD - Allow Genejack Factory 4 8.70%
1) UNPD - Do no not allow Genejack Factory 5 10.87%
2) Zanarkand Gate - Allow Genejack Factory 4 8.70%
2) Zanarkand Gate - Do no not allow Genejack Factory 5 10.87%
3) Deus Ex Machina - Allow Genejack Factory 4 8.70%
3) Deus Ex Machina - Do no not allow Genejack Factory 5 10.87%
4) Xanadu - Allow Genejack Factory 4 8.70%
4) Xanadu - Do no not allow Genejack Factory 5 10.87%
5) UNMI - Allow Genejack Factory 4 8.70%
5) UNMI - Do no not allow Genejack Factory 5 10.87%
Write-in 0 0%
Xenobanana 1 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10, 2003, 19:00   #1
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 16:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Official: Genejack Factories in Aurillion?
I'm posting this poll at TKG's request and on his behalf. Apparently he hasn't been able to rig a broadcast node in Hive territory yet, so this is how we'll have to do it.

The questions for this poll are simple: Which Aurillion bases, if any, will you all allow TKG to build Genejack Factories in?

Options are as follows:
1) UNPD - Allow Genejack Factory
1) UNPD - Do not allow Genejack Factory
2) Zanarkand Gate - Allow Genejack Factory
2) Zanarkand Gate - Do not allow Genejack Factory
3) Deus Ex Machina - Allow Genejack Factory
3) Deus Ex Machina - Do not allow Genejack Factory
4) Xanadu - Allow Genejack Factory
4) Xanadu - Do not allow Genejack Factory
5) UNMI - Allow Genejack Factory
5) UNMI - Do not allow Genejack Factory
write-in
Xenobanana

edit - you have 3 days, and 1 vote in each of the 5 categories (or 1 vote total if you write-in or Xenobanana, of course)
Old March 11, 2003, 03:04   #2
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 08:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm witholding my vote until I can see some arguments from either side.
Old March 11, 2003, 09:20   #3
Cedayon
King

Arguments?

For: Aurillion is (or is fast becoming, at the least) the industrial center of our faction, with DEM having the highest industrial output of any of our bases (56 mins/turn, at the moment), and Gennies will really put it in a position to contribute enormously to the faction.

Against: RP: Well, they're Gennies, I think the RP objection is rather clear.
Game-wise: Our large number of ecologically-friendly facilities (TFs, HFs, and Cent. Ps) has extended our clean mineral limit to the point where we can have the kind of industry that exists in DEM without raising Planet's ire... but we're pushing it, and a Gennie would probably push it up to the point that DEM would be generating *hundreds* of points of ED, and would probably result in having to switch several borehole workers to forest squares (not so bad, could crawl the holes for energy, but still inconvienient). Note that less industrial bases could probably avoid generating much ED even with Gennies, so this argument only applies to really-up-there bases.

edit- there are more arguments, of course, I just have limited time and have only given the matter so much thought.

Personally, I wasn't going to vote, though I was inclined to say no on at least some of them on purely game reasons (we don't have the clean mineral limit to easily deal with the consequences of that sort of industry!)... but since TKG can't vote from Hive territory, I'll vote yes for him.
Old March 11, 2003, 12:56   #4
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:24
I can only see gametechnical reasons for building the genejack factories. I'll only vote "Yes" if someone comes up with a consistent philosophical system that supports them. (It doesn't have to politically correct if someone wants to give it a try.)
Old March 12, 2003, 03:25   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I'm shocked. This poll was started yesterday and there has not been a single vote against the idea, even though it seems to be reviled by quite a few people...
Old March 12, 2003, 03:43   #6
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:24
Well, you asked GT, and I have delivered. No surprise, eh?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 12, 2003, 08:45   #7
Cedayon
King

Uh, yea, guys, Gennies are really evil

I don't want to shoot down TKG's industrial aspirations, since he's done such good work on that... but if a Gennie goes up in DEM we WILL get a fungal pop that turn unless we stop working 2-3 of those boreholes around it... or do you not suffer the effects of ED caused by mineral production that wasn't there at the end of last turn?
Old March 12, 2003, 15:57   #8
Cedayon
King

Btw, a -gram from our Holy Emperor ( ) just came in:

Quote:
just note that i won't be building these all right away. this poll just opens the door for me to build them in the future.
Old March 12, 2003, 21:29   #9
lucky22
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 21:24
locked dead right now
Old March 13, 2003, 01:50   #10
GeneralTacticus
Emperor

Well, I still haven't voted, and I still await an argument form the pro-gennie side before casting mine...
Old March 13, 2003, 14:18   #11
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 23:24
You haven't got much time anymore. The poll will end soon. And indeed, I'm still waiting for a decent RP argument for building them. I'd vote against if I were you until you hear one. Later a new genejack poll can then be posted when necessary.
Old March 13, 2003, 17:49   #12
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 22:24
I like shaving it close. Voted no, entirely for RP reasons, although the ED arguement is convincing as well.