Old March 13, 2003, 07:38   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 15:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Important announcement from UnOrthOdOx
There is something seriously wrong with my ISP right now.

As a result I can no longer recieve E-mails, and have sporadic ability to get online at all. If this continues, I will be forced to withdraw from any office to avoid causing this game any more down time.

The timing and nature of this lead me to believe my computer may be under attack, but I don't know enough about that crap to tell right now. Since that may be the case, I cannot risk getting online at work right now until I have this sorted out.

If for some reason I lose all connectivity, and I do not reply to this thread indicating that it has been resolved before saturday, please assume that I am no longer able to run for any kind of office and get this game won without me.

If I have not responded by the day before the final chat is to take place, someone please work up a final Gazette in my stead.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 13, 2003, 10:06   #2
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

It seems a local business is the culprit.

Apparantly some of the blocking and anti-virus software that they were giving free trials of were designed to actually attack you if you did not buy after the free trial. Ironically, AOL knew of this (despite the many incidences of their incompetance), and was designed to block it a few weeks ago (appears to be a local Utah problem right now). Hence, nothing would load when I tried to log on and this program was attempting to access my E-mail and account information.

Unfortunately, this means I need to do a full wipe of the HD in order to remove the problem. I should be back up to normal by tomorrow, if I am able to back-up everything properly.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 13, 2003, 16:56   #3
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 23:39
hi ,

maybe you ought to point out who you want as vice P before it gets worse , .....

have a nice day
Old March 13, 2003, 17:01   #4
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
It seems a local business is the culprit.

Apparantly some of the blocking and anti-virus software that they were giving free trials of were designed to actually attack you if you did not buy after the free trial. Ironically, AOL knew of this (despite the many incidences of their incompetance), and was designed to block it a few weeks ago (appears to be a local Utah problem right now). Hence, nothing would load when I tried to log on and this program was attempting to access my E-mail and account information.

Unfortunately, this means I need to do a full wipe of the HD in order to remove the problem. I should be back up to normal by tomorrow, if I am able to back-up everything properly.
hi ,

do a wipe with www.cyberscrub.com and buy at least one firewall , ..... esafe comes low priced and is not bad , ...

a free tool ( for allways ) to help fight nasty bugs can be found at www.finjan.com

and dont forget the updates on your browser and OS

have a nice day

edit ; typo

Last edited by Panag; March 13, 2003 at 17:21.
Old March 13, 2003, 17:16   #5
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

How nasty that such programs exist.
Panag is right, UnOrtho, you need a good, decent, reliable, person that can replace you. An experienced person with a good feeling for responsibility, in two letters: a VP.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old March 13, 2003, 18:49   #6
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 09:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010

Hope it's all sorted soon, UnOrthO - can't imagine the last term without you here.

Let us know how as soon as you can if you're back to normal.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old March 13, 2003, 18:56   #7
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Im taking care of it tonight. Now I know what it was and how to fix it, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I find it funny some company thought they could do this and no one would figure it out..."buy our virus blocker, or it will attack you". That's as old as a bully asking for you lunch money or he'll pound you.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 14, 2003, 12:40   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 17:39
Hope all works out OK.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old March 14, 2003, 13:36   #9
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Ok, everything is back up to normal, I think.

One last thing. can someone with 1.29 load this up and make sure it works? Just in case I actually make it into an office where I will need to do this more regularly...
Attached Files:
File Type: sav unorthodox's test.sav (54.4 KB, 1 views)

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old March 14, 2003, 18:01   #10
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 21:39
Works for me
Old March 15, 2003, 00:11   #11
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Evil businesses.

If I were you I'd sue their asses off. No kidding.
---
Glad to see that you're apparently back, however