Old March 13, 2003, 15:55   #1
Doomreaver
Settler

Local Time: 21:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Up to 7 Player SMACX PBEM game
I would like to start a game. At least 4 Human and the rest Computer players. No Unity survey, preferably blind research (Non-blind if half or more people say so), all victory conditions enabled, do or die.

I will be taking Svensguard of the Pirates.

Settings I prefer:
  • Low-Medium Erosion
  • Medium-Heavy Rain
  • Low-Medium Native Life
  • Standard size Planet

Last edited by Doomreaver; March 13, 2003 at 16:01.
Old March 13, 2003, 19:50   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:40
I can't take on another game now but 2 pieces of advice

- keep it at 4 players-- more and the game tends to die out as turns are too slow

-- blind research in MP can be very very tough-- It slows down the game a lot by delaying key discoveries that allow more rapid development-- This leads to slower build-up and longer games. It would also tend to benefit the pirates most as you will be the one meeting other factions the most and getting early tech trades
Old March 14, 2003, 11:33   #3
Doomreaver
Settler

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm more than willing to try planned research, and I think 4 is enough people. I bow to your superior expertise. Now to just find 3 people who have the expansion and want to add a game.

For anyone thinking of joining, I'm willing to change any settings to almost anything. The only main exception is that I want the map size no larger than Standard.
Old March 14, 2003, 16:37   #4
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Local Time: 22:40
I like the way u changed faction to pirates after flubber said they'd get an advantage

I'll play, will take Hive, setts are fine with me (like non-blind plz)
e-mail is Kris_no1@hotmail.com
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old March 14, 2003, 17:05   #5
Doomreaver
Settler

FIne. I'm not very fond of fighting Yang, but I'm glad to have a person in my game. You're in.

On a side note, only the map settings were changed in the edit. Pirates were my original choice for faction.
Old March 14, 2003, 17:08   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 15:40
Pirates were his initial choice as he said-- The greater advantage come from the fact that meeting and trading are more important when it is more difficult to direct research in the paths you wish
Old March 15, 2003, 14:41   #7
Lazerus
King

You don't have to fight me, could always be friends
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old March 16, 2003, 19:15   #8
Auric Boil
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:40
I would like to enter on that game. Is that ok?

Do you mind playing with another pirate as faction? lol we already start the game with the Cloning Valts!! lol
Old March 16, 2003, 19:45   #9
Doomreaver
Settler

I'm willing to play with another Pirate if someone will post here how I go about setting that up. I think all that I'd need to do is save another Pirate faction with a new Color and a new Name, but I'm not sure, so I need some expert advice.
Old March 16, 2003, 20:32   #10
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 14:40
Here's the URL for the Pirate clones that were created for Clone Wars, Waterworld, etc:

http://googlie2.tripod.com/rynnsgallery/id7.html

G.
Old March 18, 2003, 04:36   #11
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 16:40
Lazerus talked me into joining up
So just to shock him I'll play the Free Drones.
Are we playing with computer AI to fill in the other factions or is it just going to be 2 if by land and 2 if by sea = 4? I say we have AI for the other factions to make things interesting.
Foreman Arcainite
PS- E-mail is Arcainite@aol.com
Old March 18, 2003, 05:33   #12
Lazerus
King

Quote:
At least 4 Human and the rest Computer players
drones, your gonna see how much trouble waab is having trying to research his first tech arci

good all players present now. We gonna kick straight off into pbem or arrange for an ip to play the first 30 or so turns ?
Old March 18, 2003, 11:07   #13
Doomreaver
Settler

I like the idea of starting with IP, so that we can do the short early turns quickly. I'm usually available from 1700-0100 GMT. PLease post what times you are each available on normal days.

We also need votes on whom to have as the Computerized factions. I'm fond of playing against Zeta, Zakharov, Morgan, Lal, and Roze, though I'm willing to play against any.
Old March 18, 2003, 13:19   #14
Lazerus
King

morgan,zak,zeta,rose are ok with me ... just hope they make friends with me since they're gonna be miles ahead in tech

I'm available most time weekend (apart from maybe sat night) and tue-fri weeknights GMT , not too late on the wed though since ive got col first thing on thursday
Old March 19, 2003, 17:24   #15
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

what time to start it
Thursdays are good for me at any time of day or night. Sunday nights are good. The rest of the week, it really just depends on my schedule at the time and what time it is.
Arcainite
Old March 19, 2003, 18:08   #16
Auric Boil
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

For me its better on Saturday or Sundays (all thay) because I work and study during week
"Kri`lan taught me of the resonance and how to feel it. After much training, I could see - the very surface under our feet, Planet Itself - is a living, fluctuating nexus of energy, violent, beautiful and quite unstable. And I could feel its cousins - distant mirrors on the other side of the space time continuum - the far-flung Manifolds"

Prophet Cha Daw
"The Betrayer and I"
Old March 19, 2003, 18:12   #17
Auric Boil
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Oh... if I cant play with pirates too, I accept Aki-Zeta (with her sexy frigid smile)
"Kri`lan taught me of the resonance and how to feel it. After much training, I could see - the very surface under our feet, Planet Itself - is a living, fluctuating nexus of energy, violent, beautiful and quite unstable. And I could feel its cousins - distant mirrors on the other side of the space time continuum - the far-flung Manifolds"

Prophet Cha Daw
"The Betrayer and I"
Old March 20, 2003, 05:35   #18
Lazerus
King

I'm going out saturday and this sunday night has already been arranged to start another ipx game for me
Old March 21, 2003, 15:25   #19
Doomreaver
Settler

Auric Boil, you can play as the Buccaneers, a Pirate Clone. And we still need to decide on which computerized factions to use, and game settings.

I was thinking the following settings:
  • Standard size Planet
  • Medium Water
  • Medium Erosion
  • Heavy Rain
  • Medium Native Life
  • Thinker difficulty

• All Victory Conditions
  • Allied Victory
  • Do or Die
  • Directed research
  • No unity Survey

These look good?
Old March 21, 2003, 23:34   #20
Auric Boil
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

That options are ok to me (I´m thirst, give me MORE water! )

Ok if its possible to play as Pirate Clones, thats fine!

Prophet Cha Daw
"The Betrayer and I"
Old March 22, 2003, 13:25   #21
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Settings
Those are OK with me too. Most games are transcend difficulty, but I don't personally mind except that it might lessen the riots. Is it too late to switch factions? To maybe the Caretakers? Without a serious threat of riots, the Free Drones are at a disadvantage. I'll just play the Caretakers, please.
Arcainite
Old March 22, 2003, 14:48   #22
Lazerus
King

if we're playing aliens could i play as usurpers then ?
Old March 23, 2003, 00:25   #23
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

If you have aliens in the game, I strongly suggest that you reset the prereq for nervegas to Sing Mech (when the Progenitors' battlefleet victory gets enabled) or, if not then, at least to later in the game such as Retroviral Engineering, when Gene Warfare gets activated

With no sanctions repercussions against using nervegas against the aliens, it's just too powerful in a MP game

G.
Old March 23, 2003, 08:21   #24
Lazerus
King

Do we all have to change our files or just the host whos setting up the game ?
I think i know how to do this but could you give a brief explanation please so i dont screw up my system files

thanks
Old March 23, 2003, 14:06   #25
Doomreaver
Settler

I also need to know how to change that. This is my first game with things like clones and changed settings.

I'm more than willing to play with some Aliens. Though I don't see how 1 less drone than you're used to makes the drones much less of a bonus.
Old March 23, 2003, 20:28   #26
Googlie
Emperor

All Players need to change a line in their alphax.txt

Open it (in word or wordpad) and scroll down almost halfway to:

#ABILITIES

21st on the list is Nerve Gas pods, thus:

Nerve Gas Pods, 1, Chemist, X, 000011001101, Can +50% offense (Atrocity)

Replace this line with:

Nerve Gas Pods, 1, Viral, X, 000011001101, Can +50% offense (Atrocity)

And then save the file

You'll not now be offered nervegas until you have discovered Viral Engineering (which is where a lot of us have now put it)

If you want to leave it still further, to when the Progenitor factions can summon the battlefleet, then you need to change the one word Viral in the second line above to the word SingMec and that'd do it.

G.
Old March 23, 2003, 21:13   #27
Doomreaver
Settler

Thank you, Googlie. I appreciate how helpful people on these forums have been.
Old March 23, 2003, 21:23   #28
Auric Boil
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Hey Googlie, I´m creating a faction but I´m not very used to the text editor. Do you know where I edit the value of forests? I want, for example, to give my faction a penalty of "-1 mineral" production on forest squares. In which line I edit that?

Do you know of any kind of tutorial to edit this file?

I also want to prevent this faction to build some type of facilities, or also to gain bonuses or penalities when discovering some techs. Too many things to ask here! If you know something that might help, I´ll be grateful!

Thanks!

Prophet Cha Daw
"The Betrayer and I"
Old March 24, 2003, 03:38   #29
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Didn't realize all the problems..
If playing aliens is that dramatic, I guess I'll play the Believers lol.
Arcainite@aol.com
PS - if you set it up with a previously mentioned faction for me, I won't be offended.
Old March 24, 2003, 08:33   #30
Lazerus
King

OK factions and settings chosen.
Are we going to kick off the PBEM soon or is everybody up for starting an ipx game this coming sunday around 7pm GMT ??

are we going to put the nerve gas upto viral or singmech as a group then since we'll need the same thing. Considering im alone and haven't used aliens before i'd hope people go with googlies first choice of singmech so i'm not made to choke on my own blood type stuff until later