Old March 14, 2003, 18:15   #1
Rubin
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer

Local Time: 23:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Experience with the non-energy forest!
While trying to tweak the alpha.txt I removed the 1 energy output from forests - I read a few post about the idea.

Now, I'm curious if someone has tried this feature extensively... maybe fill me in about pros and cons...

NOTE: I've been playing with an altitude bonus/penalty of 12% for a few years, and I'm very happy with the way the game runs with this feature added.
Old March 15, 2003, 14:52   #2
optimus2861
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I used a 1/2/0 forest for quite a while in vanilla SMAC, as it is in Shining's MOD which I very much liked. Since the AI never emphasized forests very much anyway, it didn't seem to influence them much. Basically it makes your own terraforming more diverse, because no longer is forest the best "default" option; tiles that are 1000+ up become better farm+solar candidates.

Also gives a new advantage to free market, in turning all the energyless forest tiles into energy-yielding ones.
"If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown