Ottok?

Ottok!

The grand master has spoken
Old March 23, 2003, 18:32   #62
Wycoff
Prince

Local Time: 16:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just finished my Nuclear Holocaust game, conquering the last Persian city in 2048. (That same turn my Berlin reached 20000 culture points, so I won two ways on the same turn ) Here is a picture of the former Persian heartland, 40 years after the end of the great war. I cleaned up every bit of the pollution. Global warming didn't have much of an effect. Every once in a while a forested tundra would die off or jungle turned to grassland, but that's it. I ended up with 3400 points (on Monarch). I think that using the nukes was the best thing that I could have done. BTW, I read somewhere that solar plants actually reduce global warming. Is that true?
Old March 23, 2003, 18:33   #63
Wycoff
Prince

Here is a picture of New Germany in the year 2049:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ32.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	40436  
Old March 23, 2003, 19:32   #64
Flight
Warlord

Local Time: 21:49
so i attacked the romans but they have a bloody settler on a ship somewhere
have also taken out france's oil and a few cities
but germany are not happy with my nuke useage
Old March 23, 2003, 20:14   #65
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 18:49
Quote:
BTW, I read somewhere that solar plants actually reduce global warming. Is that true?
That WAS true... in Civ2. Civ3 does not offer such a delightful solution to global warming...
Old March 23, 2003, 21:17   #66
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:
Originally posted by pedrojedi

That WAS true... in Civ2. Civ3 does not offer such a delightful solution to global warming...

Hm, I didn't know that. I guess I always took it for granted, coming from Civ2.
Old March 23, 2003, 23:21   #67
Jarvin
Chieftain

My best nuke war was as the Egyptians. Early in the game i had annexed Russia and England (the only other countries on my continent) and gotten complete control over the biggest land mass in the game. I also pissed off the other five countries in the world.

To sum up the situation, i had the biggest, meanest country around. With no one else on my island. And with every other country either at war or embargo on me. And it stayed this way from late Medieval to early Modern. Thats when i realized that the war was unwinnable as it was, i couldnt get enough guys over to the badguys' land (namely the Aztecs), so i bought peace with everyone and thought up my master plan.

The plan was to start a big ass nuclear war by 1950. So i made a beeline to ICBMs, built a whole bunch of them, made damn sure to get SDI and started making irrational demands of all my old enemies.
Then the war restarted with everyone against me (again), but by this time i was having fun duking it out with enemy AEGIS cruisers, keeping their transports away from my land.

So the war went on conventionally until 2005 when i suddenly get a huge wave of global warming damage, so i get curious and steal some of the other peoples' world maps, turns out that Germany, Greece, and Japan openned up a big ol' can of nuclear woopass on eachother (about 10 nukes). I figure that i might as well use all the nukes i had collected on my big enemies (America and Atzecs).

In the end there were 75 nukes detonated, against my enemies and 4 against me. When the game finished more than half the world was desert and every city was starving on a regular basis.

And it was the funnest game i ever played.
Old March 24, 2003, 11:52   #68
AJ Corp. The FAIR
Prince

Local Time: 22:49
My games actually never get to nuclear wars. I hate those nasty, polluting, city ruining weapons. Usually I prevent other civs from building the Manhattan Project (note that in some games AI doesn't start building this wonder).

AJ
" Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
- emperor level all time
- I'm back !!! (too...)
Old March 24, 2003, 12:53   #69
badams52
King

Local Time: 13:49
The one thing I've wondered but never got around to doing was to see what would happen if I got to nukes first and then decided to use them on a couple of cities before the AI got the research done. Kind of like in WWII when America dropped 2 A-bombs. Usually I don't build Manhattan's and finish the game before nukes become available, but it would be nice to see how closely the same WWII situation would appear in civ 3.

Of course another fun option would be to outpace the AI in tech and then unleash a 50+ load of nukes on the AI while their still in the industrial age on the road to domination/conquest. Never got around to doing either though.
Old March 24, 2003, 14:24   #70
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

I think MP should be a small wonder, but you can sell Nukes to those who haven't built the MP
Old March 24, 2003, 15:05   #71
badams52
King

Too bad you can't sell weapons in civ 3 eh?
Old March 24, 2003, 20:26   #72
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 15:49
Quote:
Originally posted by badams52
Too bad you can't sell weapons in civ 3 eh?
I brought this up in another thread a couple of months ago. It seems logical that since we can build cruise missles, tactical nukes, ICBMs, transports, and helicopters we should be able to sell them to other civs. Become the world's arms broker.
Defense Contractor: New victory condition?
Old March 24, 2003, 22:19   #73
badams52
King

Well, in Civ 2 you could give away units to other nations, but they've never built in a way to "sell" arms, yet. Maybe in Civ 4.
Old March 25, 2003, 01:24   #74
nationalist
Warlord

Sell arms? The only way that I'd ever give the AI an ICBM is when it is targeting their capital. Sell the AI an ICBM and it will head back your way, eventually.
"The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796
Old March 25, 2003, 13:09   #75
Louis XXIV
C4WDG Stratega
Prince

Good point
Old March 25, 2003, 23:24   #76
badams52
King

Actually, if two AI countries are fighting, and one is losing badly, but you don't want them to be wiped out, it would be great to sell them tanks, cavalry, etc. to keep them hanging around like we could in civ 2.
Old March 30, 2003, 19:42   #77
King_Henry
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:49
Oddly for me, I use nukes as a support weapon. If I can't break the defenses of some city, I'll knock down a few defenders with an ICBM. Then I can roll over a few half hitpoint defenders.
Old March 30, 2003, 22:46   #78
Tsynder
Settler

Well let me see . I'm currently playing on download map of actual world and I recommend it to all you guys looking for a challenge. I'm the proud destroyer of the Germans(no offence in real life guys).
My nuclear arsenal is something like 100 ICBMS AND ABOUT 50 TACTICAL NUKES giving me a pretty capable force. My conventional forces are in the arena of about 80 mech infantry, 140 modern armor, 40 cruise missles, 50 tactical nuclear subs( one for each tactical nuclear warhead ) 50 battleships, 120 stealth bombers, 90 stealth fighters, 25 carriers, 4 transports, 60 destroyers, 70 AEGIS cruisers, 100 f-15's, and rougly 30 mech artillery( N GUYS THE ANSWER IS YES... I HAVE CROSSED THE YEAR 2050.) All my forces however, are based between the south american continent and the majority of north america where i got the russians cornered on the tundra. I've got a MPP with um though just in case my oil supplies disappear
even though i know its impossible(currently got 20 ) The chinese are my biggest competition who rack up at about 27 ICMBS AND ABOUT 23 TACTICAL NUKES. However, their conventional forces are pretty strong with 150 mech infantry and about 27 modern armor Also its more like 1 modern armor as i moved over to Asia on a recon mission wih about 60 Modern armors and all of my mech artillerys but listen, I wasnt going to attack anyone honest( even though i had just spent 10000 gold on propaganda, spying, and sabotage ) The idiots sent up there forces into unclaimed territory where my forces were and I was able to form a barrier around 26 of their modern armors so its like back to the drawing board for the idiots. NOW TO THE ACTUAL FORUM QUESTION THE BIGGEST NUCLEAR WAR I EVER ENCOUNTERED BEGAN IN THE YEAR 2000. MY NUCLEAR ARSENAL AT THE TIME WAS ABOUT 300 ICBMS AND ABOUT 120 TACTICAL NUKES. THE CHINESE BOASTED AN ASTONISHING 100 ICBMS AND 50 TACTICAL NUKES AND THE IDIOTS HAD THE BALLS TO DEMAND MY WORLD MAP. YOU KNOW I TOLD UM TO SCREW OFF SO THEY DECLARED WAR(CHINESE MEN MAY HAVE SMALL U KNOW WHATS BUT THEIR BALLZ ARE HUUUUUUGE LOL). BEING THEY HAD MORE SUBS THAN I THEY WERE MORE THAN CAPABLE OF REAPING HAVOC ON MY NAVY BASED IN THE INDIAN OCEAN SO I HAD NO OTHER CHOICE THAN TO LAUNCH ICBMS. I HIT BEIJING WITH ABOUT 10, 30 WERE SHOT DOWN AND 60 HIT OTHER STRATEGIC TARGETS. INDIA THEN DECIDED TO SIDE WITH THE CHINESE AND MY SDI SYSTEM SHOT DOWN LOTS OF ICBMS BUT A COUPLE DID REACH HOME. THAT REALLY PISSED ME OFF N IT HAPPENED TO BE UNLIKE CHINA THE IDIOTS HAD NUKES BUT NO SDI SYSTEM CAN U SAY OLIVION?? 25 TACTICAL NUKES TOOK CARE OF THE CITIES AND ABOUT 50 MORE ICBMS TOOK CARE OF THE REST( THEY WERE ON AFRICA WHAT DO U EXPECT ITS BIGGG) THE JAPANESE THEN ENTER THE WAR AND AGAIN THEY LAND ED A COUPLE NUKES HOME. THE CHINESE FOLLOWED AND SO DID THE BABYLONIANS. I FOUND MYSELF IN A REAL FIX THEN. SO I DECIDED TO LAUNCH THE REST OF MY NUCLEAR FORCES ALONGSIDE MY CONVENTIONAL FORCES ON A MASSIVE WORLD DOMINATION MISSION BUT SADLY I FAILED. ALL THE OTHER CIVS INCLUDING MY OWN WERE REALLY IN COMPLETE TURMOIL AS POLLUTION LITTERED THE WHOLE ENITRE EARTH. THIS IS THE POINT I DECIDED TO LOAD BACK TO THE YEAR 2000 TO START AFFRESH JUST TO ADD TO MY LITTLE STORY... I THINK THE GAMES REALLY GOOD DONT GET ME WRONG BUT, I WAS DISAPPOINTED IN NOT BEING ABLE TO TRANSPORT CRUISE MISSILES IN SHIPS AND LAUNCHING THEM FROM SEA BASED POSITIONS. ALSO I FEEL THE MAPS COULD HAVE BEEN WAY BIGGER AND PLANES SHOULD BE ABLE TO FLY IN REAL TIME. IT WOULD BE COOL BY CIV 4 IF THEIR COULD BE SOME NEW BOMBERS AND FIGHTERS ASWELL. I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF EVERYONE HAVING THE SAME CONVENTIONAL FORCES EXCEPT FOR THE ODD PANZER AND A FEW JAP SOLDIERS. I FEEL EACH CIV SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN UNITS UNIQUE TO THEIR CIVS IN REAL LIFE EVEN IF THEY HAD TO BOOST UM A LIL IN ATTACK N DEFENSE N OTHER CAPABILITIES. I WANT TO SEE MORE TACTICAL NUKES BEING ABLE TO HOLD IN SUBS AND PLANES BEING ABLE TO CARRY NUKES. ALSO AFTER A NUCLEAR ATTACK LAUNCH THEY SHOULD SHOW THE FLIGHT PATH OF THE BOMB IT WOULD BE VERY COOL N MORE REALISTIC EVEN TO GIVE BOMBS N MISSILES A SMOKE TRAIL TO GET THE GAMER EXCITED. IN AN OVERVIEW I THINK THE NAME CIVILIZATION HAS A POTENTIAL TO BE A WICKED GAME IN YEARS TO COME( YES GUYS IT IS WICKED NOW I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT BUT IT COULD BE THOUSAND OF TIMES BETTER I'M SURE WE ALL AGREE) I KNOW THERE ARE SOME PEPS WHO MAY SAY OK THIS GUYS COMPLETELY NUTS AND I TAKE NO OFFENSE TO THAT FOR ITS UR OPINION BUT I KNOW IF WE ALL THROW IN SOME SUGGESTIONS SOMEDAY WE'LL HAVE THE ULTIMATE CIV GAME THAT FULFILL ALL ASPECTS OF OUR IMAGINATIONS.

YOURS TRULY TO ALL MY FELLOW CIV FRIENDS
ALEXIS
Old March 30, 2003, 23:35   #79
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 18:49
Not using the caps lock would really improve the reading. But seems that you (at least until a point where I managed patience to read) had a fun time deploying some atomic punishment to those chinese fools (no offense, just in the game).
Old March 31, 2003, 01:43   #80
badams52
King

This is why when using nukes it's best to a) search and destroy the enemy's SDI with conventional forces before attacking with nukes and b) never strike with nukes first, only retaliate after the other offenders have declared war on the AI who initiated the attack.

BTW, I'm sure global warming would have been through the roof after such a display of fireworks.
Old March 31, 2003, 16:05   #81
johncmcleod
Prince

Alexis-I agree. I started a thread about that (less but more unique civs vs. more but less unique civs). I hate having almost everything be the same. It would be neat if you could customize your civs strengths and weaknesses as you go on through the game such as air power, naval power, espionage, nuclear weaponry, etc.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old March 31, 2003, 20:50   #82
Flight
Warlord

i think thats called research and unit building...