Old March 16, 2003, 20:17   #1
Tyr
Settler

Local Time: 21:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is This A Bug????
Took a long brake from Civ but decided to buy PTW after hearing about this last patch.

Started up a solo game of regicide with the "double production" option turned on.

No oddities during the game until I had researched the tech need for modern armor, but could not find any aluminum ANYWHERE ON THE WORLD. According to the manual, this should appear on the map when rocketry is discovered, which I had.

The same thing happened with uranium. I ended up winning the game anyway and explored every single damn tile, and there was not one aluminum or uranium resource in existence, which really made a mockery of my plans and was very frustrating.

So is there some intricacy that I'm not aware of, like certain resources don't appear until a certain date, regardless of which techs have been discovered? Or is this a known bug?
Old March 16, 2003, 20:45   #2
ToeTruck
Warlord

Local Time: 16:54
Wow, none anywhere? Did you check with the other Civs? If a city is on top of the resource, the symbol won't appear. You have to right click on the tile and peek at the terrain.

Incidentally, by what method did you win? Without aluminum, Spaceship victory is right out.

- TT
Old March 16, 2003, 21:11   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 14:54
To see Aluminum, ROCKETRY must be researched. I made the mistake once of beelining for Modern Armor (Synthetic Fibers), and almost went out of my mind looking for Aluminum when I didn't have Rocketry.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 16, 2003, 21:33   #4
Tyr
Settler

I won by eliminating all the other Civs, I was way ahead in research, so I had tanks long before they did.

Not only did I have Rocketry researched, I thought to myself that maybe aluminum won't show up in another Civ's territory until they research Rocketry. So I traded them all the techs up to and including Rocketry but still no aluminum.

I didn't look at the terrain below their cities. Never thought of that! But I had three oils, two rubbers, three iron deposits in my territory alone. So what are the odds of all the aluminum and uranium resources only occurring under a enemy city???

They only thing I could think of, is because I did have that "double production" option checked, I achieved the high techs much earlier than usual. So I wondered if certain resources only show up past a certain date regardless of your tech level.

So if this is a bug, how common is it? I'd hate to play 10-20 hours in a multiplayer game, only to discover my plans for world conquest are screwed because key resources just never appear!
Old March 16, 2003, 21:50   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Ctrl-Shift-M ("Clear Terrain") to see the underlying terrain.
BTW, you can adjust Clear Terrain so that you see civ borders.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 17, 2003, 08:31   #6
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 22:54
Ctrl-shift-m is a must when looking for resources. There are some graphical mods that enhance the visibilty of resources but they were more important in plain civ3. You can also use a spy to see if any AI city has acces to any given resource.

I have never seen a total absence of a resource but I have seen many times that there are only one or two of them.

Remember that the AI will know in advance where resources will appear and often build cities on top of future resources. I see this in all my games.
Old March 17, 2003, 09:28   #7
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

It's not a bug...it's a feature, dammit!
Old March 17, 2003, 09:42   #8
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Old March 17, 2003, 18:44   #9
Tyr
Settler

I had to wait until I got home from work to try the ctrl-shift-m.

I did find one uranium that I missed, little green icon on a green background.

But there is ZERO aluminum on the entire map. I even checked the arctic regions.
Old March 17, 2003, 19:42   #10
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Tyr, did you Start New Game or Load Scenario? If a scenario, you might check in the Editor to see if Aluminum's appearance ratio was askew.
Old March 17, 2003, 20:13   #11
Tyr
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Tyr, did you Start New Game or Load Scenario? If a scenario, you might check in the Editor to see if Aluminum's appearance ratio was askew.
It's a scenario I made, but not with a custom map. The only edits to the rules where lowering AI tech trading, and increasing the number of civs from 4 on a tiny map to 8.

I didn't mess with the resource options at all. But I'll double check that when I get off work.
Old March 17, 2003, 20:23   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Aluminum normally has an appearance factor of 120.
Old March 17, 2003, 20:40   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, since you have won (by elimination)...I guess aluminum wasn't very important to your scenario.
Old March 17, 2003, 21:47   #14
ToeTruck
Warlord

Though, Uranium might have been.
Old March 17, 2003, 23:05   #15
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyr
I did find one uranium that I missed, little green icon on a green background.
You might consider one of the many resource graphic mods in the directory. I happen to prefer Skanky Burns' mod (click Skanky Burns' Resource Labels) which places a small label next to all srategic resources and a small happy face next to all luxury resources -- makes it a heckuva lot easier to find that coal in mountains and saltpeter in desert. There are many others in the directory as well.

Catt
Old March 17, 2003, 23:33   #16
Tyr
Settler

Thanks Catt, I'll definitely check that out. But I know I'm not just overlooking aluminum, as that trashcan is pretty hard to miss.

What's really bothering me is that this was a test run for a multiplayer game with me and a few friends. I'd hate to research tanks first, hold off on the attack until I get modern armor, only to find I can't build any because there isn't any aluminum in the entire world, and now all my human opponents also have tanks.

The last thing I want is a fair fight!
Old March 17, 2003, 23:55   #17
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Don't worry, next time it'll be OIL you can't find!
Old March 18, 2003, 21:21   #18
Tyr
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Aluminum normally has an appearance factor of 120.
Finally escaped from work long enough to check. It is set at 120. And there are plenty of hills without resouces on them, so the game didn't run out of terrian to place the resources on.

So I guess this makes this a bug. Guess I bought this game one patch to early.
Old March 18, 2003, 21:24   #19
ToeTruck
Warlord

Tyr,

Can you post a save game for us to check out?

- TT
Old March 18, 2003, 23:11   #20
Tyr
Settler

I'd be glad too. And if someone can prove I'm wrong I'll let them have sex with my girlfriend.

I'll post it Wednesday afternoon as I'm stuck at work again.
Old March 19, 2003, 13:15   #21
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyr
I'd be glad too. And if someone can prove I'm wrong I'll let them have sex with my girlfriend.
That's a little presumptious. What does she say about that?

And what if I prove you wrong (as I am not on the same team as you)?
Old March 19, 2003, 13:52   #22
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

You never miss an opening, do you Boris?

On a serious note, I too would like to check out Tyr's save.
Old March 19, 2003, 16:17   #23
Boris Godunov
Emperor

I'll refrain from any jokes about openings.
Old March 19, 2003, 21:38   #24
Tyr
Settler

Actually, she's does phonesex and live webcam shows for a living, so they least I could do i throw in a free show.

Here's the game. At this point, all 7 other civs have been destroyed. Very interested in what anyone finds out.
Attached Files:
Old March 19, 2003, 23:49   #25
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Well, you are absolutely right Tyr - There is not one piece of aluminum to be had on your map.

My question is: Why does the game continue? All of the opponents are eliminated, and I have hunted down all the barbarians - but the foreign advisor states "make more friends," which would be fine if there were more friends to be met.

EDIT: Did you get the victory notification pop-up, but continued to play prior to this save? This would explain why the game continues on for no reason...
Old March 20, 2003, 01:46   #26
Tyr
Settler

Hi Wittlich,

Your hunch is correct. I had already won the game, then continued to play trying to find the damn aluminum.

And yes, I wipe everyone else off the face of the earth, then my genius foreign adviser says "we should make new friends" - which was so rich in irony.

I'm also uploading the custom rules in case this helps someone figure this out.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip aaacustom.zip (21.8 KB, 0 views)
Old March 20, 2003, 04:52   #27
theNiceOne
Warlord

The lack of aluminium isn't a bug - just as a spearman beating a tank isn't a bug. Both are the result of rare numbers generated by the random number generator.

The Aluminium's appearance factor just say how many sources than normally gets created, but the RNG makes sure that sometimes you get less, sometimes more and once in a while you get none.

Similarily, I have played several games where one or more luxury types fail to show up.
Old March 20, 2003, 10:53   #28
Boris Godunov
Emperor

I forget--if a resource disappears due to being exhausted, will it always be replaced somewhere else on the map, or is it possible for them to vanish totally?
Old March 20, 2003, 15:15   #29
Aramis
Prince

Local Time: 15:54
It should reappear, according to either the manual or the readme.txt (i forget which). But manual and readme not always correct.

Post above about random numbers sounds right. i played one game with only one coal resource. Didn't even consider it a bug--thought it was due to randomness.
Old March 22, 2003, 19:14   #30
Tyr
Settler

This doesn't seem right to me. First, having random locations (with terrain restrictions) is more important to replayablity. I can see a random factor to the number of strategic resources, but only if the minimum was set at one.

Otherwise, say the goal of my game is to be the first to colonize Alpha Centaury. I could spend 10-30 hours playing the game, only to find out that my goal is unachievable regardless of my skill. If that's not a bug, it sure as hell is a design flaw.