Old August 12, 2003, 01:21   #121
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which gets me thinking: we've got some work to do once Conquests comes out! Maybe you'll join us again for a bit, alexman? Not that anything has been done in your absence.

Dominae
Old August 12, 2003, 03:36   #122
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Talk about a presence.
Old August 12, 2003, 21:20   #123
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Awesome. Tremendous. Brilliant.

Let's take this further... does anyone disagree that this is the best mod we know of? Shouldn;t Firaxis highlight / acknowledge that in some way? Shouldn't the release of C3C offer an opportunity to re-invigorate the AU Mod?

Jeff Foley... comment please?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old August 12, 2003, 21:42   #124
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 14:57
Missed this thread earlier. Wow! Talk about some great advertising for Apolyton University and Apolyton in general if the AU mod makes it into C3C! If it does...news article NM!!

Oh, and it's definitely the best mod around Theseus. It'll be interesting to revamp the mod for Conquests.
Old August 14, 2003, 13:15   #125
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 23:57
i havn't played the mod too often yet, but until now i was frustrated, that half of the exploits don't work anymore (e.g. mathematics & polytheism research monopoly, etc.). i guess these small things don't only make the game a tad more realistic, but make each game about a half a level more difficult...
Old August 14, 2003, 14:17   #126
Tassadar500
Emperor

Was it sent?
Old August 19, 2003, 23:37   #127
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Local Time: 21:57
Is something wrong with Civ1.29f Mod?
Hi,

I went to download the AU Mod for plain Civ3 (not PtW) and the zip contained bix ver 1.16 instead of the expected bic ver 1.06.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a mistake in the download section?
Old August 19, 2003, 23:44   #128
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

You can find v1.06 in the first post of the original AU mod thread.

However, be forwarned that we stopped developing the mod for vanilla Civ3 as soon as PTW came out, so the latest tweaks are absent from v1.06.
Old August 20, 2003, 02:19   #129
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

alexman I could not find the logs for your run at Gotm21, are they not posted? (sorry for the OT) BTW heck of a job.
Old August 24, 2003, 17:26   #130
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Moving Mass Transit
I hate the frequency with which global warming appears in the game, so I moved mass transit from Ecology to Motorized transport to see if it would make a difference. Modern mass transit made its debut in the early 1900s when alternating current made electric trains possible, so I felt justified making this move.

I have just finished playing a game with this change and it made a huge difference in the number of squares that suffered from global warming. I'd say it reduced the appearance by a good 2/3's.

I hope that this change will be included in future AU mods.
Old August 25, 2003, 10:21   #131
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

I"d have to say that though that would make the game easier, and hence, less "hardcore," it would be more realistic. But perhaps the cost of mass transit could be increased.

Totally OT: why the hell aren't superhighways in this game? That was one of the great improvements in Civ2, and superhighways are (very unfortunately) found in nearly every major city on planet Earth.
Old August 28, 2003, 13:33   #132
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Updating AU Mod for Vanilla Civ
Hi,

I'm working on upgrading the AU mod 1.06 for vanilla Civ, but a couple of changes escape me.

Is there a way to improve elephant movement jungles? The only movement option I see is "treat all terrain as road"

Do bombers,stealth bombers, and cruise missiles have lethal sea bombardment in AU Mod 1.17?
Old August 28, 2003, 13:47   #133
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants

Good idea to update the vanilla Civ3 version.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make elephants ignore the movement cost for jungles. This feature was added to the editor in PTW.

Bombers and Stealth bombers do not have lethal sea bombard in the AU mod. Cruise missiles can of course kill naval units, but this ability is given by the "Cruise Missile" flag. No need to set the "Lethal sea bombard" explicitly.
Old August 28, 2003, 14:50   #134
Tassadar500
Emperor

Turrosh Mak I don't mean to sound like a grouch here but I think before you update the Vanilla Civ3 AU mod you need to ask around for everyone's opinon on things unless it's just for your use.
Old August 29, 2003, 00:03   #135
alexman

I don't see any harm in updating the vanilla Civ3 version, as long as it is as close as possible to the latest PTW version of the mod.
Old August 29, 2003, 02:09   #136
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

I think NM is worried that I might trot it out without peer review, or abuse the good name of Apolyton University. Don't worry, that won't happen.

I am going through the mod notes from AU 1.17 for PTW line by line.

I'm making good progress again. I had to start over when I buggered the Air Unit revamps.

BTW, did anyone ever notice that the original rule set has the Samurai unit upgrade to war elephants (which is impossible due to nationality constraints)? Shouldn't this be cavalry?
Old August 29, 2003, 03:56   #137
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

no, that's ok... the same thing happened (iirc) between the legions and the immortals.

it's the way do define the upgrade path using just one dimension... nationality is ignored there.
Old August 29, 2003, 08:25   #138
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
yeah, it's ok. If you open your basic civ3.bic file, you'll see that all UUs upgrade to something rather strange. But it works well.

Since Japan can't build War Elephants, the game looks for the next unit in the upgrade path and finally gets to Cavalry... That way, the upgrade path is the same for all civs.
Old August 31, 2003, 06:10   #139
Turrosh Mak
Chieftain

Questions re: Mod
I need some clarification of the following changes in AU 1.17 (for PtW) in order to update the mod for vanilla civ3

What is the "percentage of optimal cities" for chieftain level?

Is the "secret police" building supposed to have the "construct veteran land units" flag toggled?

Is communism supposed to have twice the assimilation rate of democracy (8% vs 4%)? And the same worker speed?

Are the resistance modifiers for communism supposed to be -10, -10, -10, -5, -10, 0?
Old August 31, 2003, 08:59   #140
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Re: Questions re: Mod
Quote:
Originally posted by Turrosh Mak
What is the "percentage of optimal cities" for chieftain level?
90. It's on the difficulty level screen. For the levels chieftain to diety, it's 90,63,60,57,53,47.

This is an AI cheat as the AI plays on chieftain but it does really need it.
Quote:
Is the "secret police" building supposed to have the "construct veteran land units" flag toggled?
Yes. This is a hack so the AI will build it more often. It shouldn't have too much of an effect otherwise.

Quote:
Is communism supposed to have twice the assimilation rate of democracy (8% vs 4%)? And the same worker speed?

Are the resistance modifiers for communism supposed to be -10, -10, -10, -5, -10, 0?
Yes. Communism needed improving and the big change to the worker speed is in keeping with the Communist ethos.

All these work without PTW.
Old September 23, 2003, 14:30   #141
alexman

Hey, it appears that the AU Mod made it in the "Best of the Net" CD that they are giving away if you preorder C3C.

Yay!
Old September 23, 2003, 14:35   #142
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Woo hoo!! One more bit of good advertising for Apolyton and the AU.
Old September 29, 2003, 16:50   #143
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:57
Mod Installation Help
I am curious to try the AU mod, but have never installed one before. It does not say in the 'read me' what I am to do with the bix file. How do I install this please?
Old September 29, 2003, 16:55   #144
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sorvino, just place the file inside your "Scenarios" folder. Then, when you want to start a random map game with the AU mod, go to Scenarios (instead of "New Game") and select the AU mod.

Dominae
Old October 6, 2003, 07:00   #145
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:57
I haven't completed a game with it yet (started AUSG101), but from what I read I have just one beef with the AU mod. My friends the Iroqoius and the Chinese have been turned into nasty civs (that is to say, nasty by the generally reprehensible standards of the AI civs), but I don't see any civs with their aggression level reduced to balance it.

I recognise that this is supposed to encourage these potentially strong civs to attack AI neighbours and to become killer AI's, but it also makes the world an even more appropriate place for war-oriented playstyles by the human. There are already too many reasons for players to pick war over peace in Civ 3, and this seems to be yet another.
Old October 6, 2003, 10:01   #146
alexman

Try to make friends with Babylon now.
Old October 6, 2003, 10:11   #147
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Cort Haus, I believe the Babylonians have had their aggression reduced. That appears to work too. From a good position they always seem to build now whereas before they occasionally committed suicide later on.
I've seen the Chinese gain from this change too. With militaristic and a good UU, they'd lose out to other civs if they were peaceful.

Why would more aggressive AI civs make building harder for the human? The AI doesn't offer any competion to a builder when they're fighting with each other even on Deity. I find that aggressive civs tend to declare war more randomly. Civs with low aggression will still declare war if they have a large advantage such as if a human player is relatively defenceless.

There are circumstances where a peaceful human player and some aggressive AIs can lead to a killer AI emerging because the AIs eliminate each other and this AI then threatens the human. Unfortunately, these are the circumstances when warfare is a better strategy for both the human and at lest one of the AIs.
You can hardly blame the AU Mod for encouraging a better AI strategy can you?

When that doesn't happen, a builder will gain from more aggressive AIs.
Old October 6, 2003, 12:29   #148
sabrewolf
Emperor

uhm... i'm just playing a modified game where i gave all civs maximal aggression (empreror, huge, continental, 60% water, 24 civs). but until now (most have entered medieval era) there has only been 1 war in which i wasn't involved: between two not-neighboring civs.

and no, it's not because they're still expanding, since there aren't any free tiles left...
Old October 6, 2003, 13:17   #149
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
sabrewolf, how balanced are the AI civs in terms of terrain quality, number of cities, tech, etc.?

There need to be imbalances for wars for break out (well, that's not the only reason, but a big contributor).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 6, 2003, 17:53   #150
sabrewolf
Emperor

uhm... on my continent there is quite an imbalance, because several started in the jungle, while a few (persia, aztecs, japanese, and me as germans) have tasty cows, wines and wheat on nice and fertile grassland.
not many luxury resources, however most have iron and horses.

well, doesn't really matter, because i'm beelining to military tradition and will start allying just to get some units off my back